Japan: Tokyo - Tips and Recommendations?

BabyBlade

there's a lot of good recommendations here, but I would like to recommend a day at odaiba, if you like cars you can check out mega web and a small car museum nearby.

mega web only has Toyota and lexus cars, but I had an amazing time there, there are some small games inside too, but the real attraction is the chance to drive any Toyota car, never tried it personally but I know you need an international driving permit, and it costs around 300yen. the cleaning girls are pretty cute to watch too =)

amlux used to be at ikebukuro, pity it closed already

↡ Advertisement

there's a lot of good recommendations here, but I would like to recommend a day at odaiba, if you like cars you can check out mega web and a small car museum nearby.

mega web only has Toyota and lexus cars, but I had an amazing time there, there are some small games inside too, but the real attraction is the chance to drive any Toyota car, never tried it personally but I know you need an international driving permit, and it costs around 300yen. the cleaning girls are pretty cute to watch too =)

i was there.

just need IDP.

i wanted to drive the 86 but it was too late that day to try. i wanna go again this time

Amlux at Ikebukuro is closed?

I took a 86 out for a spin there last October.....it was fun to drive the Tokyo streets.

And the drivers there are damn polite lor.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator

Babyblade, i know you are a biker.

So was i (sold my triumph a yr ago )

My recommendation is Ueno Bike street and Ueno park.

There is a web of streets just off the station nearer the semi industrial area.

There you will find plenty of parts aceessories and apparel for bikers.

Afterwhich, walk the cultural old street of Ueno where you will finds good bargains on many things including sports goods and watches and clothes and food.

Finish off at the Park where you will find a small building often used as an art gallery or exhibition hall of sorts.

Dinner at the many small traditional local restaurants before a short train ride back to the city center if thats where you stay.

Enjoy.

Did a quick search on Ueno Bike Street on google and apparently the shops have cut down a lot and one of their major retailer, Corin, has closed down. Does not seem to have much information on the area.

http://blog.hinomaple.com/2010/05/11/tokyo-ueno-corin-street-tokyo-bike-town/

But anyway thanks to your prompt, one good thing led to another. Chanced upon this video. Have you heard of NAPS @ Setagaya? Should be about a 20 minutes drive away from Shibuya.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=SG&v=UjXStkbdLHI&hl=en-GB

https://www.facebook.com/naps.setagaya?fref=nf

http://www.naps-jp.com/

Lots of Shoei, Arai, HJC helmets, apparels etc.

I took a 86 out for a spin there last October.....it was fun to drive the Tokyo streets.

where to rent car in tokyo ar?

i wanna drive down wangan loop

• Praise 1

(edited)

I dont know NAPs....but its sad that the Ueno bike town is no longer as vibrant.

My last trip to tokyo was in 2005 sadly. After two consecutive Tokyo motorshows, i spent more time in angmo countries for holidays.

Come to think of it, i think i still have a peanut helmet from Corin which i bought there.

Nonetheless, i would think that the easy walking side streets of Ueno just off the station would still remain lively til today (i hope)

No chance to go Japan as it is, becos my wife disallows, due to the nuclear stuff. Sigh.....there goes my only chance of being an X man....

Edited by Throttle2

Anywhere. My earlier trip in Jan 2014, I rented from Orix. I see lots of Times car rental lots here in Yokohama and other companies. Prices are pretty reasonable. See photo of one such car rental near my hotel :

post-2654-0-93990700-1405763872_thumb.jpg

You can read the guide on car rental here which I find it useful :

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2024.html

Bro u can rent from this website.

http://www2.tocoo.jp/en

I normally rent from Nissan since they have more outlet. English GPS is available.

yup, I believe closed le, read from torque magazine, and their website, cant read jap but I guess its gone http://www.amlux.jp/index.html

yea man.. although I've nvr driven in jap, in aussie I drove it was paradise, then came back to sg back to reality.. hahaha

one day, i'll have a road trip in japan

i was there.

just need IDP.

i wanted to drive the 86 but it was too late that day to try. i wanna go again this time

yea, when I went there it was too late too, didn't even get to drive anything =( i'll be back definitely!! they had this reaction time game too, where u have to hit buttons that light up, I went late, so it was empty, played around 10 rounds with my gf, had quite a blast too!

Internal Moderator

Apparently still no cheap air tix to Tokyo next March/April. [:(]

Spotted lots of nice apartments in Shibuya for SGD100 to SGD150 per night.

Never been to Japan.

Besides toyota megaweb and toyota museum Nagoya, any other suggestion for car enthusiast?

How abt places to buy lots of miniature die cast model?

Any other accesories shops (eg chrome parts) besides autobachs?

Never been to Japan.

Besides toyota megaweb and toyota museum Nagoya, any other suggestion for car enthusiast?

How abt places to buy lots of miniature die cast model?

Any other accesories shops (eg chrome parts) besides autobachs?

U like Nissan cars? Can visit their HQ, the gallery there can buy their die cast model. Was there last month. See my thread : http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2695432-a-visit-to-nissan-gallery-global-headquarters/

• Praise 1

Hi Folks,

How do you buy the shinkansen train ticket to travel from Tokyo to Kyoto ? Where can I buy and do I need to buy inadvance ? This reservation seats thingy, if I need to reserve the seats I have to buy in advance or mostly no issue ?

Thanks !!

Hi Folks,

How do you buy the shinkansen train ticket to travel from Tokyo to Kyoto ? Where can I buy and do I need to buy inadvance ? This reservation seats thingy, if I need to reserve the seats I have to buy in advance or mostly no issue ?

Thanks !!

Never took the Shinkansen when I was there. But took the normal trains across the country, north/south direction, Osaka to Maizuru 3hr train ride. Just walk into the JR office, queue up, go counter and tell them where u want to go. The counterstaff will show u the schedule and tell them where u want to seat. Best is get a reserve seat. The ticket printed will have your seat number.

↡ Advertisement