Japan: Tokyo - Tips and Recommendations?

BabyBlade

Never took the Shinkansen when I was there. But took the normal trains across the country, north/south direction, Osaka to Maizuru 3hr train ride. Just walk into the JR office, queue up, go counter and tell them where u want to go. The counterstaff will show u the schedule and tell them where u want to seat. Best is get a reserve seat. The ticket printed will have your seat number.

ic thank you thank you

↡ Advertisement

ic thank you thank you

u can take a look at the various rail websites. their schedules are pretty firmed up and on time to the min (or even sec).

you may even make bookings there.

u can take a look at the various rail websites. their schedules are pretty firmed up and on time to the min (or even sec).

you may even make bookings there.

I think I did went into some JR rail website, but wowliao...quite confusing and jap wording...I gave up... do you have any website that I can take a look ? Thanks thanks !

I think I did went into some JR rail website, but wowliao...quite confusing and jap wording...I gave up... do you have any website that I can take a look ? Thanks thanks !

did u try using Chrome with its auto translate ? other webbies data are extracted from the same source. using JRs cant be wrong. try a few times and you will realised its much better than SGs.

else do search arnd blogs, as i have seen some that literally show you a turn by tun steps.

mice

did u try using Chrome with its auto translate ? other webbies data are extracted from the same source. using JRs cant be wrong. try a few times and you will realised its much better than SGs.

else do search arnd blogs, as i have seen some that literally show you a turn by tun steps.

mice

okie thanks thanks :)

Hi Folks,

How do you buy the shinkansen train ticket to travel from Tokyo to Kyoto ? Where can I buy and do I need to buy inadvance ? This reservation seats thingy, if I need to reserve the seats I have to buy in advance or mostly no issue ?

Thanks !!

A JR Pass will save you a lot of money if you plan your travelling carefully.

https://www.jtb.com.sg/rail-passes/japan-nationwide/

JTB at ION, near the foodcourt. They are very helpful if you need more information about Japan.

Never been to Japan.

Besides toyota megaweb and toyota museum Nagoya, any other suggestion for car enthusiast?

How abt places to buy lots of miniature die cast model?

Any other accesories shops (eg chrome parts) besides autobachs?

The mall beside Toyota Mega web at Odaiba...Venus fort or smthg has a very interesting car museum with a nice collection. They do sell quite a range of die-cast cars. I found it more interesting the toyota mega web which is more like a gigantic showroom.

• Praise 2

Thanks but I have calculated, not worth to buy the JR pass as I am only travelling one way.

JR Pass is worth it if you intend to visit at least 2 cities.

Travel from Osaka to Tokyo and back already can recoup the 28,000yen paid (7-day ticket). And you could take all JR trains and bus unlimited during the 7 days. Very worth it if you travel with kids below 12 years old as they travel free. Very worth it for Shinkansen rides, though you have to go for free seating as cannot reserve seats for the kids if travel free.

• Praise 2

There's a Japan tour fair this weekend (Fri to Sun) from 10am at Taka basement.

Good to go there to kaypoh and find out some tour packages :)

You can go to Hyperdia website:

http://www.hyperdia.com/

Key in starting and ending station, even the date of travel and it gives you full details on which line to take.

I use this for my free and easy in Tokyo and Osaka with this.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator

Anyone bought flight tickets for Tokyo next April or so? Missed out the chance for cheap airfares via Scoot.

JR Pass is worth it if you intend to visit at least 2 cities.

Travel from Osaka to Tokyo and back already can recoup the 28,000yen paid (7-day ticket). And you could take all JR trains and bus unlimited during the 7 days. Very worth it if you travel with kids below 12 years old as they travel free. Very worth it for Shinkansen rides, though you have to go for free seating as cannot reserve seats for the kids if travel free.

Child below 12 years old has to buy JR child fare which is 50% lesser than Adult fare. Where got free?

Child below 12 years old has to buy JR child fare which is 50% lesser than Adult fare. Where got free?

Sorry my bad. Only kids before primary school would be FOC. My 2 elder kids are with me now in Hakone. Just back from soaking in onsen, haha.

For those coming soon, the Narita Express has a 5000yen 14 days validity return ticket promotion. Normally would cost abt 6500yen. I got a very pleasant surprise being quoted 4500yen for 2A2C tickets, expecting to pay about 10,000yen. Turn out there is a promotion for non-jap passport holders for a 1-way ticket. Not sure for how long though.

• Praise 1

Sorry my bad. Only kids before primary school would be FOC. My 2 elder kids are with me now in Hakone. Just back from soaking in onsen, haha.

For those coming soon, the Narita Express has a 5000yen 14 days validity return ticket promotion. Normally would cost abt 6500yen. I got a very pleasant surprise being quoted 4500yen for 2A2C tickets, expecting to pay about 10,000yen. Turn out there is a promotion for non-jap passport holders for a 1-way ticket. Not sure for how long though.

Actually can reserve seat using JR Pass for Shinkensen for limited express train except Nozumi train. The 2nd level Hikari limited express train with stop @ major cities like Kyoyo & Osaka can reserve seat in advance . It takes 3 hours from Tokyo to Osaka.

Now Singapore has direct flight (SIA) to Tokyo arrive at Haneda Airport which train fare is cheaper than from Narita Airport. If you stay more than 7 days in Tokyo, better choose flight departs from Haneda Airport when you cannot use JR pass.

• Praise 1

Actually can reserve seat using JR Pass for Shinkensen for limited express train except Nozumi train. The 2nd level Hikari limited express train with stop @ major cities like Kyoyo & Osaka can reserve seat in advance . It takes 3 hours from Tokyo to Osaka.

Now Singapore has direct flight (SIA) to Tokyo arrive at Haneda Airport which train fare is cheaper than from Narita Airport. If you stay more than 7 days in Tokyo, better choose flight departs from Haneda Airport when you cannot use JR pass.

Think except for the first 2 times i used jr passes, i never want to make reservations when travelling. Reason being the pressure i would put on myself to stick to the timings instead of really been free and easy. Unless during golden weeks, there will always be ample vacancies on the bullet trains.

Your suggestion on Haneda Airport makes sense if there is an option. If i choose Scoot, then i do not have this option. Nonetheless thanks for sharing.