Quantum

Jetta or Japanese Compact Sedan  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Jetta or Japanese Compact Sedan

• Jetta
    • 2014 Mazda 3
    • 2014 Altis
    • 2014 City

Although Jetta GearBox's negative impression, but its sales figure don't lose "sell like hot cakes"

Mazda 3 and Altis

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Hearing horror stories is one think. Being part of the horror story is another, esp if you are the murdered victim.

Unless you don't mind taking 120k to play tikam, go ahead with the car which has known problems.

The Japanese cars are boring and dated but they seemed more reliable, although it's also depends.

The only version of the Jetta I would consider is the GLI.

• Praise 4

Having owned a basic jetta for the past 2 years (39000km), no dead gearbox yet. The only thing that broken down recently was the auto lock system in which the driver's door cannot be locked when the button is pressed. Got it changed FOC since under warranty.

Loving the good FC. I wouldn't say this is a good car, a must buy car. But it is decent enough from point A to point B.

I think they have really solved the gearbox problem. Otherwise, they won't be selling more and more jetta. Seriously, how many vw cars did we see stranded at the roadside. I think I saw more mercs stranded (for various reasons) loh.

I am not a vw fan, nor a vw salesman.

• Praise 4
  • Dislike 1

Actually I chose the Altis as its quite under-rated cos it's a B&B car.

It's seriously comfortable and quiet inside although the interior design may not be as nice as the Mazda or the engine as good as the Jetta.

It's an overall good package..

• Praise 2

If Mazda 3 is as roomy as Altis, I'd have voted it. City is most roomy n advanced media tech with hdmi interface n flush touchscreen, look also gd but no drl. Altis drl is nice n have exterior bronze n bluish grey color choice but interior a bit plasticky.

Built in Mexico

Built in Japan

Built in Thailand

Built in Thailand

If really has to choose between the 4. I choose the BIJ.

City is barely equipped compared to the rest. If you want more options I think for the City it's not offered also. The only other choice is aftermarket.

Mazda 3 is the only one here with a 6sp auto box. The other 2 Japanese are CVT.

The one that is built in Mexico is not German engineering although it has a German badge. Same as those built in Thailand. It's not Japanese engineering. LoL....

When it comes to safety the Japanese are very stingy. All 3 only have 2 airbags each. The Jetta has 6. The Altis dun even have traction control. Ok lah, ppl driving Altis are safe drivers. Haha...

Although the entry level Jetta dun have very much luxury and equipement at least they didn't scrimp on safety. Only issues are the engine and gearbox. Must try to get more annual leave/off days.

Of course the safest bet is the Altis and the default choice of most buyers of this category. City has nothing outstanding to offer maybe except for rear legroom. I think that's about it for City. The not so boring and is also reliable should be the Mazda3.

• Praise 2

Honda City should be in another lower category - Vios, Almera, Jazz, Mazda 2,

ya i also think so. it should be honda civic instead of honda city,

how come no one add chevrolet cruze or kia k3/k5?

for the above list I would choose Jetta, however i have 3 issues with Jetta,

1st Gearbox issue ( went to the showroom SE told me smth got to do with the substance conduct electricity and burn the electronic component, however after they switch the substance , problem solved coz no longer conduct electricity. dunno how true it is)

2nd. the interior looks and feel too outdated. does not feel very conti

3rd i am not sure is it me only, anyone find that the front bumper looks weird and not very good looking? ( can be solved by changing new body kit)

ultimately if not because of the gearbox i think Jetta really bo beh zao in terms of branding and value

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Why so less vote honda city?

I thought can vote freely with our heart?

You want us to vote City, just say so mah.

Having owned a basic jetta for the past 2 years (39000km), no dead gearbox yet. The only thing that broken down recently was the auto lock system in which the driver's door cannot be locked when the button is pressed. Got it changed FOC since under warranty.

Loving the good FC. I wouldn't say this is a good car, a must buy car. But it is decent enough from point A to point B.

I think they have really solved the gearbox problem. Otherwise, they won't be selling more and more jetta. Seriously, how many vw cars did we see stranded at the roadside. I think I saw more mercs stranded (for various reasons) loh.

I like the bright red jetta but this is the 2nd I saw this year being transported.

Maybe no pay money?

I like the bright red jetta but this is the 2nd I saw this year being transported.

Maybe no pay money?

post-97074-0-62961500-1406249567_thumb.jpg

Supersonic

[laugh][laugh][laugh] ......wasn't he oso the one who felt that civic is a "luxury" car? [lipsrsealed]

ya i also think so. it should be honda civic instead of honda city,

how come no one add chevrolet cruze or kia k3/k5?

because civic price is out of this category (<120k)

and Japanese compact car only,

(edited)

put city in the list to test what position of Honda brand is now, and concluded Honda had no reputation already

if want me to select one from above 4, altis for me due to reliablility and good resell value :D

Edited by Quantum

Supersonic

From the above would be Altis.

If I had more choices.....

I rather 6AT K3 or CVT Sylphy.

↡ Advertisement