Most Expensive City In the world

Mllcg

(edited)

Is Ikea a restaurant or a food court?

I can have a < USD10 per pax pizza meal in California too.

Problem is this when u are in low income group, u just want the cheapest food. Don't care whether its restaurant or hawker centres, u just want to survive. In usa u cant find cheap food.

And i think many restaurants in singapore can get u a steak meal for less than that. E.g like Aston

Edited by Thaiyotakamli
↡ Advertisement

I actually find groceries expensive in Malaysia relative to their earning power.

Petrol and simple eating out Is more affordable than sg though.

U go eat swensons lor. Twenty dollar meal can what.

Your 18 usd ang Moh meal is only for 3 Asians only la. U see the ang Moh splitting up their meals??

• Praise 1

I actually find groceries expensive in Malaysia relative to their earning power.

Petrol and simple eating out Is more affordable than sg though.

U go eat swensons lor. Twenty dollar meal can what.

Your 18 usd ang Moh meal is only for 3 Asians only la. U see the ang Moh splitting up their meals??

LOL

(edited)

Again the fallacies of comparing apple to orange.

Is eating at hawker centre the same as eating in a restaurant? It is good to have alternatives and I credit the government for keeping our hawker culture alive but when we talk about cost of living, please don't muddle the water by comparing chay kway teow in Ang Mo Kio Blk 154 with eating steak in a Californian restaurant (CKT is better for me but there is an element of cultural bias).

On the other issue you raised. Is paying high taxes with better social, medical and other benefits but having 3x average housing prices to annual income ratio better than a system of low taxes but less benefits (CPF is my money) and high property prices (6-7x annual income) better for most people. It is difficult to to say as it depends on where you stand in the spectrum but generally, it benefits the truly rich more than the middle income family.

Interestingly, Singapore's TFR is lower than many developed countries (USA is above 2) and cost of living has lots to do with it.

tat is why i mentioned i no need even usd18 to start a bite..thats my level of affordability to eat here..somemore its not logical to charge a higher domestic product than imported product..Singapore no more animal farm right?

6-7x annual income dont apply to all

at least for me, i am low middle income..but i make it 2-3x income too (of coz couple split ratio)..why? i find houses where's i can afford comfortable but travel abit far..many of my friends did it this way too :) so far as i know for people around me

not stay in 500-600k flat LOL..u see sales of balance flat in west..u know what i am talking about

again i dont think u can find these places 3x annual income..tokyo,london house where so cheap??easily 300-400k pound..i dont think average take home 50-60k pound? teacher in london take home about 30k pound after tax average

i counted for the differences in taxes, i can enjoy more than this benefits..

however...how many willing to share the pie first?say always v easy..when come to implement..maybe p*p become opposition..LOL

Edited by Freestylers09

Singapore is not cheap. But it's not expensive. Stop bringing up this loser mentality that things are Damn expensive here.

You want to talk expensive.

My friend studying post grad in London.

A sandwich with drink is 6 to 7 pounds in his school cafeteria. Tube is 2 pounds. His professor earns 40k pounds. Which 40 percent Goes into income tax. His professor can't even afford to eat the f ING sandwich.

thats why i said i dont believe reports..

when i was at istanbul, mrt is about sgd $1.40,a turkish tea $1.20-$1.80, a v small burger $2,food about $3-6..as Singaporean, i also buay tahan abit..

BUT doctor earns $2-3k..average income $700-1k..housing easily $100-200k..rental one $600-900..funny is tour guide earn alot more but not easy to get license too..

like wise for Athens..super market stall kopi is euro1.60-1.80 for a small cup

but i never see them in reports..funny is these countries are 50-100x our size..property to salary ratio..should be very low instead

Is Ikea a restaurant or a food court?

I can have a < USD10 per pax pizza meal in California too.

23.90 u can have 2 pizza and 1 liter coke send to ur home somemore..no need go out..LOL

dont even bother is restuarant or not..lol

if not pasta mania pizza also can do it this less than usd 10 what

restaurant or food court depend how u see it..if i am very rich, 6 star restaurant still look like hawker to me..LOL

if i am v poor..food court is a luxury

Turbocharged
(edited)

When you have the most expensive politician in the world, you know we have the most expensive cost of living

Our ministers are high quality, smart, so won't come cheap!?! They invented a glorified backdoor system called GRC to parachute the "chosen" ones into parliament and become one of the highest paid, "talented" ministers. They invented slj senior Minster mentor / emeritus to stay in power etc, choked the public transport with imported men n women without upgrading the train system to cope with the passenger loads.

Edited by Super7
  • Praise 1

(edited)

23.90 u can have 2 pizza and 1 liter coke send to ur home somemore..no need go out..LOL

dont even bother is restuarant or not..lol

if not pasta mania pizza also can do it this less than usd 10 what

restaurant or food court depend how u see it..if i am very rich, 6 star restaurant still look like hawker to me..LOL

if i am v poor..food court is a luxury

You can have a pizza meal, fast food type, for less than USD5 in States. Their fast food is basically our hawker food, so they have cheap alternatives as well. In housing, the same, as explained by Thaiyotakamli.

So, to buy the Govt's argument that we should consider alternatives just don't cut it for me, a comparison should be apple to apple, orange to orange.

I think we should acknowledge that we are getting more and more expensive and inflation should be tackled more effectively. Hiding behind some stupid "restaurant, food court and hawker center " argument isn't going to help anyone.

Don't pull the HK argument as that is not where we want to be. Strangely, restaurant dinning in HK is now cheaper than in Singapore based on my last visit.

Edited by Voodooman
  • Praise 1

You can have a pizza meal, fast food type, for less than USD5 in States. Their fast food is basically our hawker food, so they have cheap alternatives as well. In housing, the same, as explained by Thaiyotakamli.

So, to buy the Govt's argument that we should consider alternatives just don't cut it for me, a comparison should be apple to apple, orange to orange.

I think we should acknowledge that we are getting more and more expensive and inflation should be tackled more effectively. Hiding behind some stupid "restaurant, food court and hawker center " argument isn't going to help anyone.

Don't pull the HK argument as that is not where we want to be. Strangely, restaurant dinning in HK is now cheaper than in Singapore based on my last visit.

Simple..we are talking about cities all along

Not sub rural places

Thats why i am toking about food ,housing in this range only

Not sub rural places

Your point is..... LA has no fast food or pizza shop?

(edited)

In my opinion, which is of course fact, is that its very hard to make direct comparison, due to many variables.

cars are expensive, yes, but its not a necessity in Singapore, which is s city state.

Alcohol are expensive, but Singaporeans drink far less alcohol than many countries. I live in Germany for close to 3 years, & I drank more alcohol in my first year in Germany than the rest of my life in Singapore.

In many countries, you either eat in a restaurant or cook at home. In Singapore we have an additional choice of hawker & foodcourt. Also Singaporeans cook far less, & cooking is cheap in many countries.

In Germany, Food are not taxed (VAT), which is significant as VAT is a whopping 19%! So home cooked meal are significant cheaper than eating out.

Watching movies is bloody expensive in Germany as well, as with most electronics (you cannot even trade in your phone), but people are more 'stingy' & spend not much on gadgets like tablets & SLR camera. Also a lot of activities people do here are quite cheap, like hiking & cycling, which are very popular in the summer.

Because, Singapore hot climate, lack of rural areas, etc, Activities are more limited, & cycling can not only quite dangerous, but its can add to jams due to heavily traffic on week days in many areas. If there are more cycling paths, like some cities, then its another story.

I think Singapore is OK, as long as one control your saving, & have a realistic expectation. But if you wanted to live in a big house, & have fast cars, then yes, its very expensive, due to being overcrowding.

Edited by Kiadaw

Your point is..... LA has no fast food or pizza shop?

Is LA inside this top 10 anot???

So..u say its cheaper than Sg,then means cheaper la

Then i just quoted that we also can be fed by these prices comparison nia when someone quoted the usd18 and perpection in what is restaurant and food court etc ..

However i indicated why some cities higher COL higher than sg..not inside the list

All along i never quoted US is more exp than sg right??however i just evaluate by choices

and also they not in the list in first place

Understand ?

In my opinion, which is of course fact, is that its very hard to make direct comparison, due to many variables.

cars are expensive, yes, but its not a necessity in Singapore, which is s city state.

Alcohol are expensive, but Singaporeans drink far less alcohol than many countries. I live in Germany for close to 3 years, & I drank more alcohol in my first year in Germany than the rest of my life in Singapore.

In many countries, you either eat in a restaurant or cook at home. In Singapore we have an additional choice of hawker & foodcourt. Also Singaporeans cook far less, & cooking is cheap in many countries.

In Germany, Food are not taxed (VAT), which is significant as VAT is a whopping 19%! So home cooked meal are significant cheaper than eating out.

Watching movies is bloody expensive in Germany as well, as with most electronics (you cannot even trade in your phone), but people are more 'stingy' & spend not much on gadgets like tablets & SLR camera. Also a lot of activities people do here are quite cheap, like hiking & cycling, which are very popular in the summer.

Because, Singapore hot climate, lack of rural areas, etc, Activities are more limited, & cycling can not only quite dangerous, but its can add to jams due to heavily traffic on week days in many areas. If there are more cycling paths, like some cities, then its another story.

I think Singapore is OK, as long as one control your saving, & have a realistic expectation. But if you wanted to live in a big house, & have fast cars, then yes, its very expensive, due to being overcrowding.

How much did average german took home pay like??

Usually they need how long clear their housing loan??expensive?

Just curious coz never go before

I don't know but i just find singapore not that expensive and not that cheap. Quote me expensive things in singapore other than housing and car.

Not sub rural places

Housing in NY, Tokyo, London aint cheap

USA is cheap. No question! But the key issue is security, with their gun culture. The one topic you can never discussed with Americans is gun & shooting.

In Germany, some people refer to America as Cowboy hand, & people some takes laws into their own hand.

If you are in America, do not put you handphone in your inner pocket of jacket. A person can just shoot you, if he think you maybe taking out a weapon. In fact, a small boy was killed by a cop when he reached something in this pocket, & shot by a panic cop.

Just recently a robber was shot (it got into the new because, she told the man NOT to shot her, as she was pregnant (she wasn't)). She was shot 2X at the back (killed) in the alley while fleeing from the man she tried to rob. Key words are she was already fleeing, & not armed, when shot. In my book it went beyond self defense.

More disturbing is one. The man (80 years old) have no sense of guilt, & many Americans agree with the shooting.

I thought about moving to USA, with all the cheap stuff, but every time I think of the lack of security....You can be shot by some robber, or some random stranger that think your are a danger, because you have a mugface, where you need to metal detector when entering school etc.-

Americans think nothing of it as its part & parcel of their life. But for the rest of us, as least myself, its not something I wanted to risk for myself & family.

I don't know but i just find singapore not that expensive and not that cheap. Quote me expensive things in singapore other than housing and car.

Housing in NY, Tokyo, London aint cheap

Ya me too..housing depends how we buy n see it..

Best place i feel is dubai but damn hot nia...but also cant compare.they can have luxury for 4 pple to man a handphone casing counter..lol

USA is cheap. No question! But the key issue is security, with their gun culture. The one topic you can never discussed with Americans is gun & shooting.

In Germany, some people refer to America as Cowboy hand, & people some takes laws into their own hand.

If you are in America, do not put you handphone in your inner pocket of jacket. A person can just shoot you, if he think you maybe taking out a weapon. In fact, a small boy was killed by a cop when he reached something in this pocket, & shot by a panic cop.

Just recently a robber was shot (it got into the new because, she told the man NOT to shot her, as she was pregnant (she wasn't)). She was shot 2X at the back (killed) in the alley while fleeing from the man she tried to rob. Key words are she was already fleeing, & not armed, when shot. In my book it went beyond self defense.

More disturbing is one. The man (80 years old) have no sense of guilt, & many Americans agree with the shooting.

I thought about moving to USA, with all the cheap stuff, but every time I think of the lack of security....You can be shot by some robber, or some random stranger that think your are a danger, because you have a mugface, where you need to metal detector when entering school etc.-

Americans think nothing of it as its part & parcel of their life. But for the rest of us, as least myself, its not something I wanted to risk for myself & family.

Seriously, it is not that bad.

↡ Advertisement