Singapore should plan for population of 10m

Wind30

Latest post to this saga: click here http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2695472-singapore-should-plan-for-population-of-10m/page-22?do=findComment&comment=5613410

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singap...tal/827992.html

what are your views? considering the previous hoohaa about the population white paper.

↡ Advertisement

They are on time on target -_-

so is 1.6% a year a good number? or we want our population to grow more slowly??

I personally think around 1.5% is not too bad.

Edited by Wind30

30,000 new PR & 20,000 new citizen per year

this is the steady number for each year intake which had been debated vigorously

more or less a fix formula for population growth liao

30k/365 = 82 PRs per day

20k/365 = 54 SC per day

Edited by Wt_know

I think it's too early to say. But knowing our "no u-turn" leaders sgp can only get more & more crowded.

we just need that 1 financial crisi to hit we will see the population drop by 1/2

On Today papers wrote, the target is at 2.1% growth rate. or was that birth rate.

anyway, the importance is not this. Govt mentioned that our SC population are growing old with sufficient young adults to replace the working sector. judging by the age of young adults should be at 21yo to 29yo.

if anyone remember, at 1980s, govt implement a rule saying that each family should at most give birth to 2child. 3rd onwards there would be a fine (or something similar). at that point of time they was saying that Singapore is too small and if every family was to give birth to 4child, Singapore would be over populated.

that was the policy at that time, and this is the consequences now. once you start a policy, it would be difficult to revert that policy. I'm sorry I'm in my late 20s, so I don't really know the details of the child birth curb back in 1980s.

On Today papers wrote, the target is at 2.1% growth rate. or was that birth rate.

anyway, the importance is not this. Govt mentioned that our SC population are growing old with sufficient young adults to replace the working sector. judging by the age of young adults should be at 21yo to 29yo.

if anyone remember, at 1980s, govt implement a rule saying that each family should at most give birth to 2child. 3rd onwards there would be a fine (or something similar). at that point of time they was saying that Singapore is too small and if every family was to give birth to 4child, Singapore would be over populated.

that was the policy at that time, and this is the consequences now. once you start a policy, it would be difficult to revert that policy. I'm sorry I'm in my late 20s, so I don't really know the details of the child birth curb back in 1980s.

Sorry, seems like garment already forgotten about their stop at 2 policy back in the 70s/80s. As a result our population is declining now due to the successfully stop at 2 policy. And yet garment is now "blaming" that people now dont give birth and that's why they need to open their gate to influx of foreigners here.

I don't want tapping on the brakes. I want coming to a complete stop. Then push lever to reverse & start reversing slowly.

Dunce roll off the cliff [laugh]

Edited by Toothiewabbit

Its in the 60's & 70's ..... -_-

The Family Planning Unit will go around the kampongs to distribute free condoms, teaches how to use a condom and the third child have to pay a higher fee for childbirth... :ph34r: