Amendments to Road Traffic Bill proposed in Parliament

oleandero

http://news.xin.msn.com/en/singapore/amendments-to-road-traffic-bill-proposed-in-parliament

SINGAPORE: Multitasking drivers beware - under a new bill proposed in Parliament on Monday (Aug 4), it may soon be an offence to use any communicative function of your phone while driving.

This includes not just calling and texting a person which were an offence in the original bill, but surfing the internet and downloading material.

Drivers guilty of such an offence may be fined a maximum of S$1,000, imprisoned for up to six months, or both. Repeat offenders will receive a fine not exceeding S$2,000, imprisoned for up to 12 months, or both.

The new rules would apply to tablet computers, not just mobile phones. However, the proposed law only applies if the driver is holding the device in at least one hand, and does not cover the use of such devices while driving, should they be mounted on the dashboard or windscreen of vehicles.

Drivers Channel NewsAsia spoke to were in favour of the changes, but felt that it should be further expanded. "If you're playing with your phone regardless whether you're talking on the phone or searching for something, it's still very hazardous. Like me, I don't touch my phone while driving. I just put it aside," one driver shared.

"I can just have it mounted and still type on the phone. It defeats the whole purpose of having the law in the first place," noted another. "It's just like looking at your GPS - you'll lose concentration. So I think it's best to totally not use it," concluded another driver.

Other proposed changes to the bill include allowing drivers to attend a voluntary corrective training course called the Safe Driving Course. Drivers who have half or more of their maximum allowable demerit points will get to remove three demerit points should they pass the Course.

Foreigners holding work passes who need to drive as part of their job must also obtain a local driving licence, within six months of the pass being issued.

Drivers will also be held responsible for providing particulars to the owner of any vehicle or structure damaged, following an accident. - CNA/kk

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Supercharged

yeah... i was watching the news last night.

i wonder, if you are sitting in your car, stationary, waiting for your wife/kid to be get off work/class, and you play your phone while waiting, counted or not?

or we will be expecting a knock knock on our window and get charged for that as well?

Turbocharged

the loop hole is tint all your windows dark dark so that TP can't see inside. at most kena $70 fine.

• Praise 1

yeah... i was watching the news last night.

i wonder, if you are sitting in your car, stationary, waiting for your wife/kid to be get off work/class, and you play your phone while waiting, counted or not?

or we will be expecting a knock knock on our window and get charged for that as well?

While stationary, yes, no issue. You can do that and nobody can say anything. However, if red light turns green and still meddle with phone, it will be obstruction to traffic and charge under inconsiderate driving if I'm not wrong.

• Praise 2

Supercharged

given the vagueness of the new bill, i dun think you can even fiddle with your phone at the traffic light even if the lights are red.

While stationary, yes, no issue. You can do that and nobody can say anything. However, if red light turns green and still meddle with phone, it will be obstruction to traffic and charge under inconsiderate driving if I'm not wrong.

Yup, this is the correct interpretation :)

Anyway, try not to touch any electronic devices cos it may disrupt your mind while driving off.

Supercharged

oohhh... you can expect a lot of people getting caught on the first day of enforcement.

just like that no-eating (ie "sweets") on the train campaign.

[rolleyes]

hope that enforcement is as strong as the proposed bill

hmm...

[lipsrsealed]

touching phone cannot

touching myself can or not? [grin]

i got auto start/stop

at traffic light ... my car engine is practically OFF wor

can play phone? lol

anyway, while driving better don't play phone la ... listen to music enjoy abit la

Edited by Wt_know

Then after the first month....no more enforcement.

Until it come out in news or got high-profile accident. Then enforcement again for another month. Then nothing again....

• Praise 1

Stricter law coming up for those using handphone while driving. Don't mess up your life just for that moment of convenience. Take note all.

https://sg.news.yaho...-020819218.html

If you so much as hold your phone while driving, you could soon be breaking the law.

Proposed changes to the Road Traffic Act tabled on Monday during Parliament would make holding a mobile device while driving or using any of its functions — including not just talking and texting but also surfing, downloading content or checking social media sites — an offence punishable by law.

These new rules would apply to all mobile devices, including tablets. However, drivers will be permitted to use their mobile devices if they are mounted on a holder or cradle.

Offenders can be slapped with a fine of up to $1,000 and/or a jail term of up to six months. These new amendments to the Act were proposed in light of an increase in phone-and-drive offenses.

Last year, phone-and-drive offenses were up 21.6 per cent from 2,938 to 3,572, said the Traffic Police.

• Praise 2

Wonder whether when driving, trying to let's say, adjust volume of the phone that is being used as a GPS, in order to hear more clearly - is that an offense??

Wonder whether when driving, trying to let's say, adjust volume of the phone that is being used as a GPS, in order to hear more clearly - is that an offense??

I believe if the phone is attached to a holder, it should be fine. On a side note, do get a proper GPS...the price of it is really cheap now.... I used a HTC phone as GPS previously...the phone died due to constant exposure to sunlight....

Read the actual text lah. Don't rely on news agency.

A driver of a motor vehicle who uses a mobile communication device while the motor vehicle is in motion on a road or in a public place is guilty of an offence and is liable on 10 conviction to a fine not exceeding $1,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to both.

There are a few key words here:

“use”, in relation to a mobile communication device, means to hold it in at least one hand while operating any of its functions.”.

As long as you don't hold it, it is fine.

“mobile communication device” includes a mobile telephone and any hand-held device which is designed or capable of being used for a communicative function"

“communicative function” means any of the following functions:
(a) sending or receiving oral or written messages; 20
(b) sending or receiving electronic documents;
© sending or receiving still or moving images;
(d) sending or receiving audio or video files;
(e) providing access to the Internet;

This would include all tablet.

Last 1 is as long as the car is stationary or moving in a private road, it is okay to use.

I believe if the phone is attached to a holder, it should be fine. On a side note, do get a proper GPS...the price of it is really cheap now.... I used a HTC phone as GPS previously...the phone died due to constant exposure to sunlight....

Standalone GPS outdated liao.

Crowdsourcing GPS is the way to go as it has traffic info (like hazards on the road, TP on the roadside).

I always use IPHONE as GPS even in Malaysia.

63542935816640000014bills22.pdf

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Standalone GPS outdated liao.

Crowdsourcing GPS is the way to go as it has traffic info (like hazards on the road, TP on the roadside).

eg. WAZE [nod]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2