How to conduct a ignition coil test

Keithchue

dear guys, asking on behalf of friend.

she got a fit, 2006 model, having problems with ignition coil. was told to replace all 4 rear ignition coils. due to budget constraints. would like to just replace the faulty one, any recommendations to how about doing this

↡ Advertisement

highly recommend to replace all in one shot as old coils are well...... oil coils.

It's not expensive if you buy your own parts and can be easily DIY for most cars.

Just addon, what's the average costs per coil as there seems to be various prices for igntion coil ranging from 40 per pack of 4 (searched thru old thread) and costing 1XX per coil?

thian seng charges 90 per coil..

friend Honda fit had 8 of them, to be change individually.

so it is quite ex...

where can I get some mechanic to test the coils out? any recommendations?

I see, I rememebr seeing P69 coils pack of 4 If I dun recall wrongly think 60 bucks thus the qns. Wondering why such a big disparity

8 coils sweatz

Turbocharged

If can diagnose which cylinder misfire, just change the coil for that cylinder. But most of the time, if one coil starts to fail, the rest will follow. Better to change all at one go.

Faulty Coil-ON-Plug can be easily detected with a laser tachometer. Run the engine, and target the laser on each coil and take not of the RPM. The one with low or no RPM is not performing as normal and need to be replaced.

post-272-0-85001600-1407297958_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yeobh

Would suggest to replace all at once to save some labour cost.

The rest would fail one by one after replacement of the bad coil.

I did the same for my old car, replace only the faulty one, then the other two failed and I got left stranded on the road.

And if your friend still insist, you can try Autosavers at Toh Guan (look for Ah Boon) or Autosavers at Woodlands (look for Ah Ming).

The older DSI engine has 2 spark plugs per cyliner.

Supercharged

where can I get some mechanic to test the coils out? any recommendations?

Sorry, this I dun know.

2 sparks per cylinder means more powerful engine ?? [:/]

This I fully agree - change all. Just like spark plugs, you MUST always change all. Some picky people even insists that all plugs must be of the same batch coming out from the same carton box.

If can diagnose which cylinder misfire, just change the coil for that cylinder. But most of the time, if one coil starts to fail, the rest will follow. Better to change all at one go.

ya, 2 spark plugs per cylinder, 4 in front with 4 coils, and 4 behind with another 4 coils..

damn sweat to replace the plugs, now to replace the coils,

Sorry, this I dun know.

2 sparks per cylinder means more powerful engine ?? [:/]

according to gurus, it is more fuel saving and more power should you want it..

it can out accelerate from start from my twin charged jetta, despite 1.3l NA, Honda rocks..

Turbocharged

ya, 2 spark plugs per cylinder, 4 in front with 4 coils, and 4 behind with another 4 coils..

damn sweat to replace the plugs, now to replace the coils,

according to gurus, it is more fuel saving and more power should you want it..

it can out accelerate from start from my twin charged jetta, despite 1.3l NA, Honda rocks..

the first 30m maybe but after that, your twin charged will tear the i-dsi into pieces.

seriously, a lot of workshops don't like to change spark plugs for the i-dsi engines as it is very troublesome......

the first 30m maybe but after that, your twin charged will tear the i-dsi into pieces.

seriously, a lot of workshops don't like to change spark plugs for the i-dsi engines as it is very troublesome......

ya, but it sucks....to see a small Honda in front of u..haha

↡ Advertisement