This is the redesigned new-for-2015 KIA Sorento.

ren_yeo

Wow! Better than an Audi A6??? Care to elaborate? Would be nice to hear why especially from an Audi owner. Which year Audi A6 did you own?

↡ Advertisement

congrats...your price is awesome in light of the escalating COE prices :)

glad you chose this over the discovery. was considering that as well...but sorento is the better value. no regrets so far. 

Thanks.

If I based on the assumption of having the same OMV as you of $37K (Diesel SX + AWD), C&C profit margin is very lean

OMV = $37000

ARF = $43800

GST + Excise Tax = $9990

COE = 57010

Registration fee = $140

6 month Road Tax = $1163

Total = $149103

Profit Margin = $161300 - $149103 = $12197

Only $12.2k of profit for a high spec flagship car for Kia in SG (7.6% of the car price).

C&C really kena hit hard by the surge in COE.

However, I am not the winner, my purchase price is fixed. Both C&C and MIW are winner. Just that MIW won more.

$12K is pretty normal profits lar... only branded cars get to earn $20-30K per car... checking the SG car mart costing for each car gives you the margin you're paying over base cost. It usually works out to be less than 20% for Kia & Hyundai... which makes them very good value you see... the AD isn't earning tonnes of money and you're getting very good value cos the specs list is long and deep for the top trim without having to break the bank.

Yes indeed. Had to do quite a bit of due diligence to get both myself and CO comfortable with the badge (and the small HU), but very happy with the decision so far.

The road presence, the power, the general refinement, the FC and the space are nice and in line with expectations. Been pleasantly surprised by the intuitiveness of the HU and the electronics. The speech recognition is pretty useful once you learn the language.

Price point is high for a Kia , but brilliant for what it offers. I did a pretty comprehensive scan of 7 seater SUVs and the next most expensive car I would have taken over the Sorento is the brilliant Volvo XC90 and it's more than double the price. Land Rover was out because of space and reliability concerns. And if you look at prices of the Sorento vs the usual competitors in more mature SUV markets like US, Canada and Australia, we are getting a pretty decent price arbitrage here in Singapore.

Was driving an Audi A6 before and this is (surprisingly), in many ways, just a better car.

Lol we had exactly the same issues with the miniscule HU and badge and was looking at both Discovery Sport and XC90. The LR looks awesome but was so disappointing overall. Hard plastics interior, and its really a 5+2. The rear space with the +2 up is virtually useless, not withstanding the fact an adult sized passenger will be extremely uncomfortable in the last row. The Sorento's 2nd row also better leg room and more 'slidability' for far easier access into the back row than the LR. 3rd row, adult? No Worries! Obviously if money was no object, XC90 would have been the choice. Good power, nice boot space even with the back row up and overall refinement but just can't justify its price. Wearnes is making an absolutely huge margin on that car.

Here's to more sorento drivers!

• Praise 1

Wow! Better than an Audi A6??? Care to elaborate? Would be nice to hear why especially from an Audi owner. Which year Audi A6 did you own?

Owned a 2006 A6 2.4.

Big picture, the Kia is materially better in the areas it should be (ie space, price point, electronics gadgets (given it is 10 years newer)) and lately on par with or sometimes better in areas you expect the Audi to be much better in ie

- power: more accessible low end torque for Sorento. Similar 0-100 timings (which is amazing given the Sorento is so much heavier) but there is a bit of a dead zone for Audi at low rpm, though very good power between 4000 - 6000 rpm.

- Refinement: interior build quality is a big thing for me. The materials used in the Sorento are largely on par with my 06 Audi, and if you read the reviews, not much different from the new Q5. It's also generally more quiet on the road.

One area the Audi is clearly better is handling, but that's not a surprise given that Sorento's a large SUV.

One area that the Sorento is clearly better is the fuel consumption. I was getting 7km/L on my Audi.

• Praise 1

Thanks.

If I based on the assumption of having the same OMV as you of $37K (Diesel SX + AWD), C&C profit margin is very lean

Please do a breakdown for me too.  [laugh]

Guys, those keen on accessories, please get ready what you want. 

Planning to order in July. 

Will you be puchasing any accessories?

Any recommended ones?

Owned a 2006 A6 2.4.

Big picture, the Kia is materially better in the areas it should be (ie space, price point, electronics gadgets (given it is 10 years newer)) and lately on par with or sometimes better in areas you expect the Audi to be much better in ie

- power: more accessible low end torque for Sorento. Similar 0-100 timings (which is amazing given the Sorento is so much heavier) but there is a bit of a dead zone for Audi at low rpm, though very good power between 4000 - 6000 rpm.

- Refinement: interior build quality is a big thing for me. The materials used in the Sorento are largely on par with my 06 Audi, and if you read the reviews, not much different from the new Q5. It's also generally more quiet on the road.

One area the Audi is clearly better is handling, but that's not a surprise given that Sorento's a large SUV.

One area that the Sorento is clearly better is the fuel consumption. I was getting 7km/L on my Audi.

Wow thanks for the comprehensive comparison... I am quite intrigued that the Audi's fuel consumption is so bad... I always thought they had pretty good consumption. But I guess it might be better to compare a current Audi A6 versus the Sorento or even the Q7 which is in the same class.

(edited)

Please do a breakdown for me too.  [laugh]

Based on May Car cost in LTA, OMV for Petrol SX is $32660.

OMV = $32660

ARF = $37724

GST + Excise Tax = $9275

CEVS = $10000

COE = 57010

Registration fee = $140

6 month Road Tax = $817

So Profit Margin = $159999 - $147626 = $12373.

Edited by OeteM

Wow thanks for the comprehensive comparison... I am quite intrigued that the Audi's fuel consumption is so bad... I always thought they had pretty good consumption. But I guess it might be better to compare a current Audi A6 versus the Sorento or even the Q7 which is in the same class.

I'd probably prefer a q7 over the Sorento if money is no object. But at this price point, up to the price point of a XC90 or Q7, I don't see another 7 seater SUV I'd rather have.

And that's amazing value.

Mainly side steps and other small items.

You have the mail right?

Yes, bro.

You did send me the mail.

Just checking and see what will you be getting to get some inspirations.  [laugh]

Don't know whether will I need the sidesteps. My mum is short though, so might be better for her.

But the door pocket holders are a must for me.

Initially my wife and I didn't know, so we just put things at the door pocket. Imagine our surprise when the item went down all the way,  [smash]

Kia ranked #1 in 2016 JD Power US new car reliability survey – first non-luxury brand to top list since 1989

http://paultan.org/2016/06/23/kia-ranked-1-in-2016-jd-power-us-reliability-survey-first-non-luxury-brand-to-top-list-since-1989/

Yes, bro.

Just checking and see what will you be getting to get some inspirations.  [laugh]

Don't know whether will I need the sidesteps. My mum is short though, so might be better for her.

Initially my wife and I didn't know, so we just put things at the door pocket. Imagine our surprise when the item went down all the way,  [smash]

I am also looking at these 2 especially door pocket holders. For side step, still deciding the usefulness.

Another item that I am bio-ing is thule roof rack... Don't know how much it will cost for Sorento.

Yes, bro.

Just checking and see what will you be getting to get some inspirations. [laugh]

Initially my wife and I didn't know, so we just put things at the door pocket. Imagine our surprise when the item went down all the way, [smash]

Yes. Door pocket. Door protector, door LED etc.

Thanks.

OMV = $37000

ARF = $43800

GST + Excise Tax = $9990

COE = 57010

Registration fee = $140

6 month Road Tax = $1163

Total = $149103

Profit Margin = $161300 - $149103 = $12197

Only $12.2k of profit for a high spec flagship car for Kia in SG (7.6% of the car price).

C&C really kena hit hard by the surge in COE.

However, I am not the winner, my purchase price is fixed. Both C&C and MIW are winner. Just that MIW won more.

i guess that's why CnC had to secure your COE early. If COE goes beyond 60k, they hardly earn from you.

anyway, sorento has the same OMV as the audi q5  [cool]

Owned a 2006 A6 2.4.

nice car there. i had a 2006 xc90 2.5 before the sorento. i was getting about 5-6km/l for it. i think i am getting pretty good mileage out of my sorento because the xc90 had taught me to be really light-footed on the pedal.

the sorento is so much easier to drive, especially around tight MSCPs. i dont feel like I am driving a tank like i did previously. 

anyway, i am seeing lots of new sorentos on the road bearing the SL number plate series. the drop in COE prices for the first 5 months had helped to make it more appealing. it helps too that CnC is pricing it very competitively  [:p]

for those who are thinking of getting the door pockets, i already have them. extremely useful.  [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement