This is the redesigned new-for-2015 KIA Sorento.

ren_yeo

The new Sorento continues to be powered by the old 2.4L Theta II GDI engine. We continue to be deprived of high tech engines options such as the new 250hp 2L Nu GDI turbo. US market Sorento came equipped with this engine.

I still don't understand why C&C refused to bring in the 'proper spec' Sorento. We pay less road tax and insurance with a smaller engine, gets better fuel economy and more importantly, enjoy significantly big power on the road.

And we have to pay so much for the car...

↡ Advertisement

Agreed. Paid so much for the car almost 100k but get the outdated engine.

I think suv with diesel engine is the way to go for sg city driving. But travelling north maybe a problem.

The new Sorento continues to be powered by the old 2.4L Theta II GDI engine. We continue to be deprived of high tech engines options such as the new 250hp 2L Nu GDI turbo. US market Sorento came equipped with this engine.

I still don't understand why C&C refused to bring in the 'proper spec' Sorento. We pay less road tax and insurance with a smaller engine, gets better fuel economy and more importantly, enjoy significantly big power on the road.

And we have to pay so much for the car...

Agreed. Paid so much for the car almost 100k but get the outdated engine.

I think suv with diesel engine is the way to go for sg city driving. But travelling north maybe a problem.

Well just refuel full tank in SG and you can make a round trip to Genting and back in full tank...

Just don't do pedal to the metal driving all the time while in Malaysia.

I thought BHP stations in JB offer Euro 5 diesels already? But of cos, SG cars can't buy them.

How much is the road tax or any diesel tax?

Yr friends paid extras?

I've asked the SE at the show and they told me there is no market for the diesel cars here. But I really don't agree as some of my colleagues and friends have already bought diesel cars.

After riding in their cars, the only difference is when they start the engine, the diesel chatter is there. But when in the car, the sound isn't that audible. They too have been "boasting" about the fuel economy of their cars and therefore I'm also interested in them. Guess now the only car manufacturers whom bring in the cars are usually the continentals..

I think i'm going to wait for a couple of years before the local car dealership starts bringing in more diesel models. I'm only looking a 7 seaters Suvs, I think diesels will be better in terms of torque.

probably they want to get back the ROI on this GDI engine , and hence the only way is to try and sell as much as possible and get rid of this dated engine ...so that they have the extra bread to design a newer version of the engine

probably they want to get back the ROI on this GDI engine , and hence the only way is to try and sell as much as possible and get rid of this dated engine ...so that they have the extra bread to design a newer version of the engine

The trouble is, the 2L Nu GDI Turbo engine is already in released by Hyundai for quite awhile.

The new LF 'boring looking' Sonata can be ordered with this engine in USA and Australia too

Its 101% C&C fault for shortchanging potential Kia owners by using the old Theta II GDI. Yes it is true that Kia continues to offer this dated engine in the new Sorento lineup, but I would imagine its mostly used for fleet or rental car duties rather than a showcase of what Kia can really do

Sigh... for now, we have to get the Forte Koup to enjoy big power from a small engine... 201hp 1.6L Gamma II GDI Turbo

See, even the 1.6T makes more power than the 2.4L Theta II GDI.

A weak engine can't compensate for whatever progress Kia has made to the new Sorento.

Clearance of stock (old engine) + repackaged body + marked up profits = brand new car (new 2015 version specially for Singapore market).

For those who have driven private diesel cars here in SG over the last 5 years or so, care to share the maintenance costs involved?

Additionally, any private workshops etc that are equipped to handle the turbo diesel engines?

I'm certainly intrigued to find out more especially with regard to these kind of engines ...

Thanks in advance!

How much is the road tax or any diesel tax?

Yr friends paid extras?

Yupz, on top of the road tax you will have to pay extra. Don't know about the initial outlay though.

Example: 1.6cc car road tax is around $742.

You will than have to add additional diesel tax on top of the road tax.

Usually if you drive a lot, the savings in fuel will definitely cover back for the extra diesel tax.

I don't know about how much the extra diesel tax (in monetary figures), you will have to just browser around one motoring to find out.

What's wrong with Theta engine?

Kia Motors R&D Centre received US$57 million in royalties from Mitsubishi and Chrysler for its world-renowned Theta engine

Only Kia gives you a 5-year unlimited mileage warranty and 10-year engine warranty. What more could you desire?

Hi guys, I am a Sorento 2014 model owner. I have the AWD - Turbo Diesel model. it has 430NM of torque, and close to 200HP engine, the power is amazing. I have driven it to KL, and went around multiple areas and back to SG on a single full tank. Over taking is an ease, the weight and power is there, the vehicle is feature rich. It is reliable too. My first Korean, after having driven German, Japanese, Italian and American. I am was apprehensive at first but after the reviews from the US, Australia and UK, calling this a dark horse SUV - meaning under-rated, I was not too sure still until I drove both the petrol and diesel variant did I commit to a diesel model, purely because it is a workhorse.

In just 2 years, I have clocked 64K and only go back for regular, on time servicing. Never paid anything beyond $200 on average.

The materials the Kia uses is good, the design is up to the individual's taste, but what do you get out of the car, there is german technology and design from the folks from Audi and VAG group couple that with Korean technology, design and pricing = One hell of a SUV.

My first Korean and definitely not my last....

I was initially looking at the Toyota Harrier but the lack of 7 seater deterred me.

Go test drive it, only in experience would you fully grasp the pure joy it gives.

I am one of those that takes the longer route home. ;-)

The new version is amazing, longer leg room for the third row, updated materials for the already amazing cabin and all the little delightful features will make everyone truly proud of the ride.

• Praise 2

how did you find the handling of the petrol version , which one is better ?

heard the one with petro sucks in handling and a bit of noise too .

Hi guys, I am a Sorento 2014 model owner. I have the AWD - Turbo Diesel model. it has 430NM of torque, and close to 200HP engine, the power is amazing. I have driven it to KL, and went around multiple areas and back to SG on a single full tank. Over taking is an ease, the weight and power is there, the vehicle is feature rich. It is reliable too. My first Korean, after having driven German, Japanese, Italian and American. I am was apprehensive at first but after the reviews from the US, Australia and UK, calling this a dark horse SUV - meaning under-rated, I was not too sure still until I drove both the petrol and diesel variant did I commit to a diesel model, purely because it is a workhorse.

In just 2 years, I have clocked 64K and only go back for regular, on time servicing. Never paid anything beyond $200 on average.

The materials the Kia uses is good, the design is up to the individual's taste, but what do you get out of the car, there is german technology and design from the folks from Audi and VAG group couple that with Korean technology, design and pricing = One hell of a SUV.

My first Korean and definitely not my last....

I was initially looking at the Toyota Harrier but the lack of 7 seater deterred me.

Go test drive it, only in experience would you fully grasp the pure joy it gives.

I am one of those that takes the longer route home. ;-)

The new version is amazing, longer leg room for the third row, updated materials for the already amazing cabin and all the little delightful features will make everyone truly proud of the ride.

What's wrong with Theta engine?

Kia Motors R&D Centre received US$57 million in royalties from Mitsubishi and Chrysler for its world-renowned Theta engine

Only Kia gives you a 5-year unlimited mileage warranty and 10-year engine warranty. What more could you desire?

I am sure Theta II will be very reliable.

Its just that Hyundai/Kia group has newer even more advanced engines line-up these days...

Eg, 2L Nu GDI with or without Turbo.

The Nu series is supposed to replace the aging Theta II.

And I still can't understand why SG market Sorento (or Optima for that matter) can't have the much more desirable turbo engines?

We already have the highest new car prices on this planet yet C&C continues to bring in modest engine models wrapped in a well equipped and pretty body.

The new Sorento looks great and equipment levels can put any Japs, Euro or even Americans makes to shame... but all the visual excitement came to nothing when the traffic light turns green, and you got smoked by cheaper, lesser equipped, boring looking competitors... :(

I mean, which Sorento would you prefer if both are equipped similarly?

180hp NA Theta II GDI 2.4L. You may more road tax, incur heavier fuel consumption, and gets just 180hp (although it and itself ain't bad in terms of efficiency)

240hp 2L Nu GDI Turbo. You get 240hp from a smaller engine. You pay lesser road tax, you get better fuel economy, And u get big flat torque curve that's a godsend if u want to pull a heavy SUV.

post-2078-0-65517100-1421979619_thumb.jpg

240hp 2L Nu GDI Turbo as seen in the US market 2016 Sorento

I mean, which Sorento would you prefer if both are equipped similarly?

180hp NA Theta II GDI 2.4L. You may more road tax, incur heavier fuel consumption, and gets just 180hp (although it and itself ain't bad in terms of efficiency)

240hp 2L Nu GDI Turbo. You get 240hp from a smaller engine. You pay lesser road tax, you get better fuel economy, And u get big flat torque curve that's a godsend if u want to pull a heavy SUV.

Wow, thanks for the details. Choice for me is simple.

That's Option 2 anyday for me man. It puts me on par with beasts like the XC60.

I think the marketing genuises fail to understand that consumers are more demanding nowadays & more well informed of choices too.

I think the marketing genuises fail to understand that consumers are more demanding nowadays & more well informed of choices too.

Sigh... what an irony indeed

We are often told that North Americans love big engines... while such statements is still fairly valid these days, for Hyundai and Kia, Americans actually got a smaller engine option then we do!

And they have got zero road tax, simi LJ COE to fuss about..

Time to find parallel imported Kias ? I wouldn't mind uf specs are better and price is cheaper... : )

↡ Advertisement