Tyre dry and hard need to replace?

MadDog70

My dad's car mileage is just 15,000km for 3 years, when I sent it to Borneo for servicing, the SE told me the tyres are dry and hard (supposed to be soft) and need to be replaced (first set since the last 3 years, with good tread depth).

Is there such thing that tyres need to change after a number of years even though the tread depth is still good?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

My dad's car mileage is just 15,000km for 3 years, when I sent it to Borneo for servicing, the SE told me the tyres are dry and hard (supposed to be soft) and need to be replaced (first set since the last 3 years, with good tread depth).

Is there such thing that tyres need to change after a number of years even though the tread depth is still good?

Afaik, the tyre have a life-span since manufacture date. When it becomes dry and hard, that'll also mean cracks will start developing soon. Drive carefully ya.
  • Praise 2

rubber can store for 2 yr in proper storage b4 it start to deteriorate slowly

once fitted it deteriorate faster due to heat buildup when running as well as environmental heat/uv

recommended is 2 yr or 40k change out once fitted (whichever comes sooner)

u can prolong more at own discretion, provided you know what u are doing and how to monitor

• Praise 2

Other than threads turning botak, u must also observe for any cracks esp at side walls. Harden tyres gripping will be lousy, very dangerous during raining.

Yes, I can be stingy on 50 cents parking coupons at times, but 2 things in my car which I will never be save on brakes and tyres.

Edited by Optramagnum
  • Praise 4

Supercharged

2 years ago my tyre WS also told me my front 2 tyres are "hard" and need to be replaced. They say "may explode" and is dangerous.

I didn't know what they were talking about but I trust them n replace it.

Hmm...so this is the reason.

Edited by TVT
  • Praise 1

I used my tires for around 3.5 years and didn't change when the mechanic told me too. It was until when one day it rained and I tried to move off the line and did a tire spin without even trying, I knew I die die had to change it.

Don't get into an accident before changing.. It's not worth it.

• Praise 2

can change... But change outside.. My neighbour change his Camry 16" made in Thailand Michelin for $1200 I think.. That's ex in my opinion.

Supercharged

Din know must change tyres every 2 years.

Thanks guys, will definitely change.

Tyres can used up to 4-5 years, if there is still tread.

My 2x rear tyres used up to 5 years still alot of tread left, but tyre shop told me "better change it", so I change it....

I used my tires for around 3.5 years and didn't change when the mechanic told me too. It was until when one day it rained and I tried to move off the line and did a tire spin without even trying, I knew I die die had to change it.

Is your 3.5 yr tyres botak ?

Hi bros

I am also driving a 5 year old OPC car. Till now I have not change my tyre yet. The tread still new with 80%.

There is no crack line on the side of the tyre. I think should be usable....

Hehe

Hi bros

I am also driving a 5 year old OPC car. Till now I have not change my tyre yet. The tread still new with 80%.

Hehe

Hehe, I think you better change tyres otherwise, please stay off the road.

Supercharged

Hi bros

Hehe

Its the age that matters, bro! Tyre shop told me tyres over 5 years prone to burst, cos the rubber "no longer has the strength"...

Do you change your engine oil if its over one year, but yet use less than 10,000 km, and the oil still looks new? Same logic applies.

Hi bros

Hehe

dont think

at 5yr the rubber already harden after 3 yr, the grip and handling is way off

Hi bros

Hehe

It's safer to sell your car now and take public transport.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1