Air-con has funny smell

Hachi-Roku

Hi All....

I did a air-con flush around july and a few days after that, my air-con seems to be blowing out a kind of funny smell, something alike a herbal/bitter smell. Only at low speed and engine start-up would i get the smell and its only coming out from the front passenger side air vent. Anyone has faced the same situation before? Please advise. Thanks a million!!!!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

Try to open the passenger side air vent and see if anything inside (like dead insect, etc).....since you mentioned the smell only comes from there.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Hi All....

I did a air-con flush around july and a few days after that, my air-con seems to be blowing out a kind of funny smell, something alike a herbal/bitter smell. Only at low speed and engine start-up would i get the smell and its only coming out from the front passenger side air vent. Anyone has faced the same situation before? Please advise. Thanks a million!!!!

From july till now still got the smell ah?

Don't mean to scare you but my colleague car inside got 1 dead rat trapped in the engine bonnet. The smell is really bad and took quite a while before sending to workshop and they found the carcass.

• Praise 2

That's why I always said if your aircon is not giving you problem, don't do anything to it. Just change the aircon filter at regular interval will do.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Don't trouble trouble unless trouble troubled you.

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 2

Hi All....

May be their machine not clean? Or the content stored in that machine too long until stale. Next thing if coincidental may be compressor acting up. May wanna chk w another AC ws but don't tell them what I told u.
  • Praise 2

Try to open the passenger side air vent and see if anything inside (like dead insect, etc).....since you mentioned the smell only comes from there.

Am I able to do that D.I.Y?

From july till now still got the smell ah?

Don't mean to scare you but my colleague car inside got 1 dead rat trapped in the engine bonnet. The smell is really bad and took quite a while before sending to workshop and they found the carcass.

Lol.... It doesn't smell like dead things.. It smells kinda like Chinese herbal....

That's why I always said if your aircon is not giving you problem, don't do anything to it. Just change the aircon filter at regular interval will do.

Well... Cannot be undone liao so now trying to rectify the prob.... Learning curve bro...

Ask the workshop that did your a/c lor. Ask them what they did.

They told me is normal a/c flush, draining old air-con lube n pumping in new one...

Could it be that the workshop top-up laughing gas instead since it smells funny?

I really wish it's that... Hahahaha... Need some laughs thru the life stresses....

May be their machine not clean? Or the content stored in that machine too long until stale. Next thing if coincidental may be compressor acting up. May wanna chk w another AC ws but don't tell them what I told u.

Any that u can intro...?

true...

my friend car air con also happened same thing...

check along the air con duct and found a family of cockroaches died along the duct somewhere...

clean up and all is good [laugh]

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

true...

my friend car air con also happened same thing...

check along the air con duct and found a family of cockroaches died along the duct somewhere...

clean up and all is good [laugh]

OMG, now making me worried about buying 2nd hand cars!!!!

Supercharged

You can try, but be careful not to break it cos its all plastics.

If can't, just bring it back to that WS (which did the flush) and ask them to check it.

Yes, correct.

Learn from mechanic the smell could be air con gas leaking. Get the workshop to check.

Gas leaking than the aircon won't be cold already.....but I think TS isn't having this problem, but a smelly problem, instead.

Lol.... It doesn't smell like dead things.. It smells kinda like Chinese herbal....

There must be a leak. Sperm also smells like that.

Edited by Dumb
  • Praise 1

Well... Cannot be undone liao so now trying to rectify the prob.... Learning curve bro...

They told me is normal a/c flush, draining old air-con lube n pumping in new one...

I really wish it's that... Hahahaha... Need some laughs thru the life stresses....

Any that u can intro...?

Most in forum will recommend u mark cool but must specifically look for ah Huat. For my aircon issues, I went to 1st auto Sembawang at north link bldg, but look for boss mr. Yap; AC guy nick not so experienced n trustworthy. U may also seek another opinion from DM since they bagged some awards n have some reputation here.

Hi All....

I did a air-con flush around july and a few days after that, my air-con seems to be blowing out a kind of funny smell, something alike a herbal/bitter smell. Only at low speed and engine start-up would i get the smell and its only coming out from the front passenger side air vent.

Did you try changing your aircon filter? Those charcoal type aircon filter will have foul smell after air con treatment. I did the liquid moly aircon refresh whereby canister can of spray was re-circulated within the cabin. The next day , there was foul smell coming from the air con, ended up have to throw away the carbon aircon filter. Tried the same air con refresh on normal air con filter on the next servicing and didn't get any foul smell since then Edited by Amazon777
  • Praise 1

Internal Moderator

Seventh month lei......................... Chinese herbal.... :o

Did you try changing your aircon filter? Those charcoal type aircon filter will have foul smell after air con treatment. I did the liquid moly aircon refresh whereby canister can of spray was re-circulated within the cabin. The next day , there was foul smell coming from the air con, ended up have to throw away the carbon aircon filter. Tried the same air con refresh on normal air con filter on the next servicing and didn't get any foul smell since then

Indeed. Foul smell came in intervals though.

Maybe it's time to change your air con filter. This is a common negligence that many ppl forgot to replace very 20k. In a long run the air con might have a very bad smell once in a while. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Praise 1

Hi All....

could be your cooling coil crack and got freon leaking out... If the smell does not smell like decomposed matter, or mouldy, then likely cause is aircon gas leak
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1