Ford Galaxy - Good buy?

Typhoonz

Is it as fast as the S Max Titanium?

Been looking at this... Worth it to make the switch? Haven't seen the car in the flesh and planning to do so later...

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=416505&DL=1309

Comments please...

Agree. I met an S Max Titanium once on the road when I was still driving my Skyline. Damn, it was fast....

depreciation is reasonable and shld still be under warranty. I'll certainly pick this over any jap mpv anytime. once u experience the torque of a TC, i tink u confirm wanna junk ur NA Mz5 liao. so be prepared to buy once u test drive.......haha.

Cannot afford leh... Those on the market registered in 2011 already at least $10K to $20K more than this Galaxy... Compare those same year ones lagi expensive... Top up a bit more can get a new Galaxy liao...

Got a few 2013 even more expensive than a new Galaxy...

Is this due to the resale value?

but bro.. Estima peace of mind.. really.. coz the badge.. my family had it from 2006-2012.. no problem at all..

resale value is good for estima.. but ford I dont think so..

P.S Estima can zhng a lot.. Oops [rolleyes][rolleyes][laugh]

Mondeo MK4 :D

Solid car..

Is it as fast as the S Max Titanium?

Agree. I met an S Max Titanium once on the road when I was still driving my Skyline. Damn, it was fast....

I won't say it's fast but most Ford drivers says the handling is very good... I personally drove a Galaxy but that was a good 10 years ago in reverse...

but bro.. Estima peace of mind.. really.. coz the badge.. my family had it from 2006-2012.. no problem at all..

resale value is good for estima.. but ford I dont think so..

P.S Estima can zhng a lot.. Oops [rolleyes][rolleyes][laugh]

Solid car..

I don't think my budget can fit an Estima inside unless I go for the ones that are 2010 which will make it 4 years old... Agreed that parts are readily available for it and servicing will not be as expensive as a Ford...

Anyway I'm still open for choices and not rushing into anything...

You driving the VellFire?

How old is your car? Moving on to an MPV due to your kids?

Another 4 years to go but there is that occasional need for the extra seat, plus the ecoboost is magnet to ford lovers. :D

depreciation is reasonable and shld still be under warranty. I'll certainly pick this over any jap mpv anytime. once u experience the torque of a TC, i tink u confirm wanna junk ur NA Mz5 liao. so be prepared to buy once u test drive.......haha.

The only TC car I drove for about 2 mins was a Mitubishi Airtrek... Yes the pickup is WOW! Also sat in a Evo 7... That one WOWWER!!

Another 4 years to go but there is that occasional need for the extra seat, plus the ecoboost is magnet to ford lovers. :D

So I guess you won't be going for a new car but just taking a S-Max or Galaxy off the used car market like me?

I can't fork out that much for a car... My estimates is that my car can sell for probably $50K and I will be left with $36K after clearing my loan... A new Galaxy is $170K which means I have to add another $49K? I don't have so much money and even if I did, I won't throw it into a car...

If Regent decides to sell their old Galaxy cheaply when the new model arrives perhaps it might be a good deal?

good luck on your search.

I personally love Ford a lot and used to drive a Laser and than Focus. Car was serviced at Vantage and no complains about them. Price is standard AD and slightly high but workshop outside charge a lot to repair ford too. So end up always service at AD. Both car never fail me and no major problem during the years I own it. The Laser was crashed and written off but I survive with a scratch, cant say the say if I am in a Japanese car.

Went on to drive the Alphard and to be honest, status and resale is better but cant match the Ford on handling and ride comfort.

If you are an existing mazda owner, ford will suit you. Don't think you can get used to the ride of a Japanese.

Galaxy is indeed decent size MPV, and should be able to accommodate anyone with height up to 1.8 m in third row. Not super comfortable, but not squeezed as the wish, Mazda 5, etc.

S-Max on the other hand is not much bigger than wish, M 5. It is very powerful, at 240 bhp, but space is not part of the package. In Ford showroom, they have a large luggage behind Galaxy, to show customers that it can fit into the boot betw the 3rd row seat and the tailgate. No way for even smaller luggage to go into S-Max's.

The 3rd row seats are 2 independent seats that are not joint, so if you have let's say one small size adult plus 2 young kids, can squeeze into 3rd row of wish or stream, but cannot for all conti MPVs, as all have independent seats for 3rd row.

i'm surprised that all used cars' prices are now pegged to almost the same depreciation as new car prices. One day should COE prices fall significantly, the used car dealers will sure cry father cry mother...

good luck on your search.

I personally love Ford a lot and used to drive a Laser and than Focus. Car was serviced at Vantage and no complains about them. Price is standard AD and slightly high but workshop outside charge a lot to repair ford too. So end up always service at AD. Both car never fail me and no major problem during the years I own it. The Laser was crashed and written off but I survive with a scratch, cant say the say if I am in a Japanese car.

Went on to drive the Alphard and to be honest, status and resale is better but cant match the Ford on handling and ride comfort.

If you are an existing mazda owner, ford will suit you. Don't think you can get used to the ride of a Japanese.

My search will be slow but surely changing perhaps before CNY? "New" car for the new year mah...

Was thinking of also going to Regent to test the Galaxy too...

For everything there's a trade off... Can't have the best of both worlds... I would prefer to enjoy the drive rather to bear with due to the resale value...

The Laser was crashed and written off but I survive with a scratch, cant say the say if I am in a Japanese car.

Errrr bro......the laser is a rebadged 323. Anyway, glad to hear u came out fine.

Galaxy is indeed decent size MPV, and should be able to accommodate anyone with height up to 1.8 m in third row. Not super comfortable, but not squeezed as the wish, Mazda 5, etc.

S-Max on the other hand is not much bigger than wish, M 5. It is very powerful, at 240 bhp, but space is not part of the package. In Ford showroom, they have a large luggage behind Galaxy, to show customers that it can fit into the boot betw the 3rd row seat and the tailgate. No way for even smaller luggage to go into S-Max's.

The 3rd row seats are 2 independent seats that are not joint, so if you have let's say one small size adult plus 2 young kids, can squeeze into 3rd row of wish or stream, but cannot for all conti MPVs, as all have independent seats for 3rd row.

i'm surprised that all used cars' prices are now pegged to almost the same depreciation as new car prices. One day should COE prices fall significantly, the used car dealers will sure cry father cry mother...

I briefly saw the interrior of a S-Max and the space is slightly bigger than my Mazda 5... Many have asked me to look for a S-Max instead but I don't see any point as I need a space upgrade... I do agree that the S-Max looks better than the Galaxy in everyway but unfortunately I have 6 in my family so the S-Max won't cut it...

Got a business trip coming up in the coming week so will head down to Regent after that for a closer look...

It's speculated that COE will come down briefly in Nov so as low as $50K... Not sure if this kind of "news" is let go by the dealers themselves to spur interest for the buyers to drive a new car for CNY...

We'll see what happens then...

Errrr bro......the laser is a rebadged 323. Anyway, glad to hear u came out fine.

Serious?

Damn, like u, I have got 6 in my family. Currently have an Edix as my second ride. When the COE expires in 2006, I am seriously wondering what should be the replacement...... haiz. I do love the Elgrand though. The facelifted one.

I briefly saw the interrior of a S-Max and the space is slightly bigger than my Mazda 5... Many have asked me to look for a S-Max instead but I don't see any point as I need a space upgrade... I do agree that the S-Max looks better than the Galaxy in everyway but unfortunately I have 6 in my family so the S-Max won't cut it...

Got a business trip coming up in the coming week so will head down to Regent after that for a closer look...

It's speculated that COE will come down briefly in Nov so as low as $50K... Not sure if this kind of "news" is let go by the dealers themselves to spur interest for the buyers to drive a new car for CNY...

Serious?

In terms of space - I beg to differ. The S-Max / Galaxy (I went to see a Galaxy as well previously) has loads more space, including 3 individual seats for adults in the middle row unlike most other makes that actually feature only 2 and a half (referring to seats in popular marques like Odyssey, Mazda 5 etc) or smaller middle row seats (E.G. Touran - if you look closely, you'll notice the middle seat in the second row is actually smaller than both outer seats). The extra space in the middle row is especially useful for me since I have 2 fairly large / bulky child seats in the middle row. How many other cars actually allow you to sit an average sized adult with 2 big car seats in the middle row? Last row is also not too bad, at least you're not squashed shoulder to shoulder with head hitting the roof like what I experienced with my Mazda 5. I'm 1.8m btw.

Additionally, I would say, there's still some space left in the boot with the last row up, unlike our Mazda 5.

Agreed with regards to the safety aspect - I'm sure the Galaxy that you're looking at comes with 7 airbags (including a knee airbag) as well, since mine did & who would expect that for a 2008 car? I certainly didn't but then again it's my first conti & as you can clearly tell, I love my Ford!

That being said, have you factored in the OMV as well when deciding to scrap it eventually?

If you're 1.8 m (me too), then we might have the same problem. I guess your kids will grow up to be almost as tall as if not taller than you. My P5 girl is around 1.6 m already, so that means big hole in the pocket to get a bigger MPV.

I've only 2 kids but my parents stay with me, so we need a MPV. Our current wish will go end next year or Jan 06… and it's a headache now. Bought it at 70K when new, so you can imagine how painful it is to get a replacement now.

S-Max is not an upgrade in terms of space, c.f. to the wish now. Wish i now realize is indeed the most spacious in its class, as claimed by many. All the conti MPVs cannot even come close in terms of space, except the large Sharan and Galaxy (if it's considered conti). But S-Max is prob 2-3 grades up in terms of performance… No boot space in S-Max too. In wish, if i tilt the 3rd row seat a bit upright, meaning less comfortable for passengers, it can still squeeze in a couple of mid-sized luggages. But I doubt many other mid-sized MPVs can do the same. M 5 as far as i remember (when I was scouting for MPV 8+ yr ago), definitely cannot.

Safety is good. But i think even estima reportedly only have 2 airbags… strange...

Damn, like u, I have got 6 in my family. Currently have an Edix as my second ride. When the COE expires in 2006, I am seriously wondering what should be the replacement...... haiz. I do love the Elgrand though. The facelifted one.

I was looking for the Edix in the early stages before I bought the Mazda 5... Can seat 6 but the "youngest" one on sale at AML was 06 in a condition that's not too desirable... The dealers didn't even bother to fix the obvious dents and dings... Space wise quite good but only so when the kids are young... Sooner or later either we don't drive or have to look for more space...

The Elgrand is quite nice but no so for the price... Perhaps a 2nd hand on the market?

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=411233&DL=1309

happen to drive a mazda 3 before and that car really don't feel Japanese. Ride and handling is really good. A bit underpower but overall a nice car that I don't mind driving daily

ha ha… exactly the same for me leh… s-max was attractive, but CMI given my consideration.

btw, if you're not familiar with Regent, then this might be useful: the basement carpark is FOC for customers to the showroom. Just need to get the SEs to stamp the ticket. Initially i didn't want to go in, but since nearby got no other CP, no choice. Then it was bonus when said FOC…

ha ha… they sure say will drop, as announced that from jan on, should have more car COEs. if everyone wait for that, then Dec/Nov many Oct sure got fewer bids. Less demand, premium goes down. They will use this to coax customers to go in and not wait till Jan to fight with rest of SGP...

If you're 1.8 m (me too), then we might have the same problem. I guess your kids will grow up to be almost as tall as if not taller than you. My P5 girl is around 1.6 m already, so that means big hole in the pocket to get a bigger MPV.

I've only 2 kids but my parents stay with me, so we need a MPV. Our current wish will go end next year or Jan 06… and it's a headache now. Bought it at 70K when new, so you can imagine how painful it is to get a replacement now.

S-Max is not an upgrade in terms of space, c.f. to the wish now. Wish i now realize is indeed the most spacious in its class, as claimed by many. All the conti MPVs cannot even come close in terms of space, except the large Sharan and Galaxy (if it's considered conti). But S-Max is prob 2-3 grades up in terms of performance… No boot space in S-Max too. In wish, if i tilt the 3rd row seat a bit upright, meaning less comfortable for passengers, it can still squeeze in a couple of mid-sized luggages. But I doubt many other mid-sized MPVs can do the same. M 5 as far as i remember (when I was scouting for MPV 8+ yr ago), definitely cannot.

Safety is good. But i think even estima reportedly only have 2 airbags… strange...

I'm slightly above 1.8m and my eldest girl is P4... So yes we are both in the same situation to fit 6 into a car and still have a bit of space left for shopping or the occasional trip up north... I did make the trip to Malacca and KL with my MIL and space was quite scarce... My son sat in front so a bag could fit into the leg room below... My MIL and wife sat in the second row with bags in the middle... Last row was my helper and my 2 daughters... Quite a funny scene of too many people with too many bags in a small MPV... :D

In terms of safety priorities the Japanese car manufacturers still hasn't put it as standard and the standard 2 airbags is definately not enough for a car let a lone an MPV...

You still have slightly more than a year to scout for the replacement so perhaps a good deal might come by? Just see see sgcarmart everyday to monitor... At least it's something more to look forward to in the day...

ha ha… exactly the same for me leh… s-max was attractive, but CMI given my consideration.

btw, if you're not familiar with Regent, then this might be useful: the basement carpark is FOC for customers to the showroom. Just need to get the SEs to stamp the ticket. Initially i didn't want to go in, but since nearby got no other CP, no choice. Then it was bonus when said FOC…

ha ha… they sure say will drop, as announced that from jan on, should have more car COEs. if everyone wait for that, then Dec/Nov many Oct sure got fewer bids. Less demand, premium goes down. They will use this to coax customers to go in and not wait till Jan to fight with rest of SGP...

Thanks for the tip for parking at Regent...

Aiyah these rumours can spread but when will it happen we won't know... The prices of COE is controlled by these players so want it to go up it will go up... We will just be played by these players if you are getting a new car... Not so much for those getting a 2nd hand car but prices do get affected if the COE goes further north...

↡ Advertisement