Diesel cars in vogue now

Soya

Does your 520d vibrate a little during idle at the traffic light?

I noticed with diesel cars, that apparently is the norm. The W212 had a little and so did the Peugeot 508.

Yes, the NVH cannot be compared to the legendary BMW inline 6 engines. Some times I do miss my IL6 especially when the diesel ticking gets apparent in stop-go traffic, but the economy and low down power delivered by the turbo diesel makes the car much more drivable in city and is hence more enjoyable once it gets up to speed. No regrets so far.

↡ Advertisement

What I read is that you actually need to drive extended distance per trip to let the DPF burn out the particles. If the DPF does not get enough time to burn, the particles will accumulate and eventually lead to premature failure of DPF after clogging up.

So for us driving in SG, really hard to get enough distance for the DPF to do its work, unless you travel east to west or vice versa everyday for work.

You probably read and think too much :P I drive only 20+ kms to work daily. You are describing a passive DPF regeneration process that requires long and constant expressway driving. Think about our Euro5 busses, taxis and delivery vans -- aren't they stuck in the same stop-go traffic as us? What about uncle sleeping in his taxi for hours? Sometimes delivery vehicles do less distance than us -- the drive two blocks down, stop, deliver, start the engine, drive another 2 blocks, stop, etc. These are terrible commute patterns for the DPF, or for that matter -- terrible for emissions for any fuel powered vehicle including petrol.

The modern diesels have active DPF regeneration where the engine injects fuel post-combustion to help increase exhaust temps (similar to running a petrol car rich) to clear the DPF. After a while you can actually feel/hear this happening (the engine will sound different). The downside is you'll get worse FC if this happens often, but I think no matter what the FC will still be better than petrol equivalents.

I think SG drivers have to worry more about bad diesel quality and using the wrong engine oil. Euro 5 diesel cars require a low sulphur engine oil like Mobil1 0W-40 ESP.

And petrol cars w/catylitic converters that can fail too if your engine is not running well, e.g. a failed lambda or temp sensor causing engine to run rich will destroy your cat. Does that happen? Yes. Does that happen often? No.

Then should I consider changing to diesel car?

My parents in North West, parents-in-laws in East, my own place in North. Lol

Do your own math. You'll definately also have to consider the cost of your car. If you are still hanging on to a 2008 registered Nissan Latio for example, likelyhood not a single diesel will make it cheaper for you.

I do agree with the above saying. My colleague whom has gotten a new diesel car was commenting on the amount of money saved per month. He has high mileage around 2500km/mth as he stays in the east and parents in the west.

With his amount of mileage compared to mine +-1000km/mth, his fuel bills are much lower man..

The key here is that diesel is cheaper than petrol. In some parts of the world, diesel costs more than petrol. So with lower fuel cost AND better economy the savings are massive.

If there are 6 cylinder diesel hybrids, it will be DA BOMB.

Edited by Detach8
  • Praise 6

What I read is that you actually need to drive extended distance per trip to let the DPF burn out the particles. If the DPF does not get enough time to burn, the particles will accumulate and eventually lead to premature failure of DPF after clogging up.

So for us driving in SG, really hard to get enough distance for the DPF to do its work, unless you travel east to west or vice versa everyday for work.

I travel daily from south to East (Changi) for work approx. 29km per trip. You reckon enough distance for DPF to work?

can always have a NSH run to clear carbon and smoothen the engine

Batu Pahat ... good food ... to and fro only 300km+-

Yes, the NVH cannot be compared to the legendary BMW inline 6 engines. Some times I do miss my IL6 especially when the diesel ticking gets apparent in stop-go traffic, but the economy and low down power delivered by the turbo diesel makes the car much more drivable in city and is hence more enjoyable once it gets up to speed. No regrets so far.

How is the drive compared to the 520 turbo or the ex IL6 unit?

Very tempted to buy a diesel with good low end torque given we are doing almost 100% city driving, even our expressway are slow.

Edited by Voodooman

Honestly, I don't know. Better check with manufacturer recommendations.

I travel daily from south to East (Changi) for work approx. 29km per trip. You reckon enough distance for DPF to work?

How is the drive compared to the 520 turbo or the ex IL6 unit?

Very tempted to buy a diesel with good low end torque given we are doing almost 100% city driving, even our expressway are slow.

It's hard to describe -- best to test for yourself.

IL6 2.5L NA 523i of course is smooth and sounds great, but being NA it has not much torque but revving it out is fun. However the F10 is a luxury sedan, so the exhaust note is subdued. If you drive something like the Z4, then it would be much more aural.

I did not have much seat time in the IL4 2.0L turbo petrol 520i (I don't own one, but a friend does). It is punchier than the IL6 in city driving and is quite nice to drive, plus yields slightly better fuel economy (+0.5 to 1km/l). It's also nice to rev the IL4 petrol, but it does not sound or feel as good as the IL6 of course.

The diesel is not as smooth as petrols and makes quite some noise and vibration at low speeds, but the torque is just so addictive. Keep the revs between 1,500-2,000 and just push the throttle -- you'll overtake with ease and catch a lot of cars by surprise even at 100kph. Note my engine revs stays below 2,000 even at 110kph due to the taller gearing.

Just curious, what's your highest speed and at what rpm? I have come across diesel cars up north, terrific torque even at high speeds but they seem to run out of steam quite fast?

IL6 2.5L NA 523i of course is smooth and sounds great, but being NA it has not much torque but revving it out is fun. However the F10 is a luxury sedan, so the exhaust note is subdued. If you drive something like the Z4, then it would be much more aural.

I did not have much seat time in the IL4 2.0L turbo petrol 520i (I don't own one, but a friend does). It is punchier than the IL6 in city driving and is quite nice to drive, plus yields slightly better fuel economy (+0.5 to 1km/l). It's also nice to rev the IL4 petrol, but it does not sound or feel as good as the IL6 of course.

The diesel is not as smooth as petrols and makes quite some noise and vibration at low speeds, but the torque is just so addictive. Keep the revs between 1,500-2,000 and just push the throttle -- you'll overtake with ease and catch a lot of cars by surprise even at 100kph. Note my engine revs stays below 2,000 even at 110kph due to the taller gearing.

so long story to claim credit..

my take is more people buy diesel cars because m'sia going to implement better standard of diesel..

not because of the rebate..

Just as with anything "offered" to SG motorists by the gharmen...... we have to b very careful n walk carefully. [sweatdrop]

As seen so many times b4.

All of a sudden gharmen wil just change some laws/rules n then al those who tot they got a "good deal" wil suddenly find out they got a crappy deal.

Now I am waiting for gharmen to increase the tax on diesel sold at our pumps. Then end up diesel wil cost more than petrol even. [sly]

Msia already has a restriction on foreign vehicles pumping diesel. If too many SG cars go JB for cheap diesel.... it wun b long b4 there is a total ban on SG cars pumping diesel there (just like the total ban on SG cars pumping CNG), or maybe can still pump but at a higher price. [bigcry]

I've been looking at diesel models too but knowing, in the back of my mind, that it may be a matter of time before diesel becomes dutiable here. Taxi fares to also increase then?

I've been looking at diesel models too but knowing, in the back of my mind, that it may be a matter of time before diesel becomes dutiable here. Taxi fares to also increase then?

Taxi companies have special sites that sell diesel at cheap rates. They do not need to use the big boys diesel

can always have a NSH run to clear carbon and smoothen the engine

Batu Pahat ... good food ... to and fro only 300km+-

Try pelican hotel if you stay in batu pahat overnight. Room not very new, but view is good.

Most importantly, they have a private car park which is sheltered from the public's view by 4 walls.

Hard to describe but you did a very good job.

Below 2k rpm at 110kph, that is pretty impressive, I assume you can easily push the rpm to 3k and the accleleration is still quite linear?

I test drove the 520 turbo twice recently, the drive is pretty decent. Like you say, when pushed, the engine note is a little "rough" but power is more than sufficient for Singapore roads. I might just take your advice and go test drive the 520D but it would mean having to give up my at least once a year road trip up north.... that is probably the reason diesel car is still not in my shortlisted to date. More choice = more headache. Maybe buy a diesel only in 2017 when Bolehland is ready.

Hard to describe but you did a very good job.

Below 2k rpm at 110kph, that is pretty impressive, I assume you can easily push the rpm to 3k and the accleleration is still quite linear?

I test drove the 520 turbo twice recently, the drive is pretty decent. Like you say, when pushed, the engine note is a little "rough" but power is more than sufficient for Singapore roads. I might just take your advice and go test drive the 520D but it would mean having to give up my at least once a year road trip up north.... that is probably the reason diesel car is still not in my shortlisted to date. More choice = more headache. Maybe buy a diesel only in 2017 when Bolehland is ready.

On highway, 1 full tank of diesel can get you at least 1k km. Through & fro kL should not be a a big problem.

On highway, 1 full tank of diesel can get you at least 1k km. Through & fro kL should not be a a big problem.

My longer trip usually cover a distance of between 1.2k km to 1.5k km.

Can use jelly can like SAF? Safety is probably an issue, the other is supply. Heard th EURO V engine can withstand some EURO II diesel (mixed with EURO V) once in a while, true?

My longer trip usually cover a distance of between 1.2k km to 1.5k km.

Can use jelly can like SAF? Safety is probably an issue, the other is supply. Heard th EURO V engine can withstand some EURO II diesel (mixed with EURO V) once in a while, true?

Usually if i plan to go for longer trips eg to Penang or Kedah I will top up to the brim and bring along 5l of Diesel from Singapore in a jelly can.

And on NS Highway I will keep to speed of 90-100km/hour. Can usually hit 25-30km per liter if u drive at 90km/hour. When I am returning I will fill up the 5litre to play safe.

Pump full again when reach singapore after 1500km... But if really cannot just pump 10l in Malaysia

Not go forget.... many have 6g or 7g.....its not just distance......rpm must b high enuf to hit it up....maybe tht y sonata orways flor here n there. If 90kmh but rpm below 2....may b ptless even long dist...

↡ Advertisement