Diesel cars in vogue now

Soya

the article only is a obserevation. its still not that attractive to drive diesel car in terms of savings. [;)]

Sometimes it's not just the savings. It's the huge torque peaking at low rpm.

The pickup....my oh my....what a rush!

Edited by Fcw75

funny, I heard from people that they are more strict lately..

probably if you tio = more strict

never tio = less strict?

hahaha

anyway, I heard they very on the ball for cash card at checkpoint.

last time you forgot put they nevermind. now like will give strict warning?

P.S: before anyone start, I am is not encouraging don't pay the cash card hor.. I also is got pay whenever I remember!!

Diesel car already had a special tax, which is much higher than petrol. So I don't think they will at the 40cts diesel tax.

Any tax on the diesel will increase the cost of business since commercial vehicle will be affected.

I am also looking to get a diesel car when my COE expired on 2016, so even with the special tax, my mileage of >30k per year easily cover the cost already. Plus the shiokness of huge torque for turbo diesel.

In this case u should be safe. Enuff mileage to keep the PDF clean & still breakeven under the old price $1.25/cc.

PS : This 'special Tax' is dangerous.....its a blank cheque where rates can be adjusted like ERP. [sweatdrop]

Edited by Baal

In this case u should be safe. Enuff mileage to keep the PDF clean & still breakeven under the old price $1.25/cc.

PS : This 'special Tax' is dangerous.....its a blank cheque where rates can be adjusted like ERP. [sweatdrop]

This very true. We are living in a country that policy suka suks change... [shakehead][shakehead]

This very true. We are living in a country that policy suka suks change... [shakehead][shakehead]

Same as CPF, goal post just suka suka keep shifting.

Road tax....MY constraints.....nahhhh...I'll passsss.....

If you are doing a fair bit of distance per month, likelihood the savings in fuel will exceed the higher road tax which you going to pay.

If you are doing a fair bit of distance per month, likelihood the savings in fuel will exceed the higher road tax which you going to pay.

You don't have to do a "fair bit of distance" actually.

I drive as per normal (~1,500kms/mth). Most people do around this distance a month if they drive to and from work, and some weekend shopping. My fuel reduced almost half (approx $300/mth to $150/mth) so in one year I save $1,800. My road tax went up (from my previous 2.5L 523i to current 2.0L 520d) around $400. I still nett around $1,400 of savings.

If you compare apple to apple engine capacity 2.0L then the increase in road tax is around $800, which works out to $1,000 in savings (per year).

But the performance of the vehicle is very very different, especially in town.

To me, diesel is a no-brainer unless you drive very little, e.g. OPC or you live 5 mins from work.

Very soon our monie greed garmen will implement 3/4 tank rule at Tuas & Woodlands custom.

I doubt it matters. The reason why I buy a diesel car is b/c it gives me significant savings here in SG. I don't think it's worth my time going to M'sia just to pump diesel. Unlike petrol cars, even if I do a weekend trip up to Malacca I'll likely only get half a tank coming back.

Edited by Detach8
  • Praise 4

yes, that's true but *heart pain* to pay that kind of prohibitive tax leh still....

• Praise 1

I doubt it matters. The reason why I buy a diesel car is b/c it gives me significant savings here in SG. I don't think it's worth my time going to M'sia just to pump diesel. Unlike petrol cars, even if I do a weekend trip up to Malacca I'll likely only get half a tank coming back.

I doesn't matters me either. I have not drove into JB personally for the past 5yrs...

I drive as per normal (~1,500kms/mth). Most people do around this distance a month if they drive to and from work, and some weekend shopping. My fuel reduced almost half (approx $300/mth to $150/mth) so in one year I save $1,800. My road tax went up (from my previous 2.5L 523i to current 2.0L 520d) around $400. I still nett around $1,400 of savings.

If you compare apple to apple engine capacity 2.0L then the increase in road tax is around $800, which works out to $1,000 in savings (per year).

To me, diesel is a no-brainer unless you drive very little, e.g. OPC or you live 5 mins from work.

Does your 520d vibrate a little during idle at the traffic light?

I noticed with diesel cars, that apparently is the norm. The W212 had a little and so did the Peugeot 508.

Oei you all dun spoil market post here leh. KNN

That is very true. Going in with a friend in his car recently. Saw his fuel gauge at 1/4 when nearing custom. I told him he forgot to top up petrol. He mention no problem, he always go in < 3/4 because never check.

Edited by Beehive3783

What I read is that you actually need to drive extended distance per trip to let the DPF burn out the particles. If the DPF does not get enough time to burn, the particles will accumulate and eventually lead to premature failure of DPF after clogging up.

So for us driving in SG, really hard to get enough distance for the DPF to do its work, unless you travel east to west or vice versa everyday for work.

I do agree with the above saying. My colleague whom has gotten a new diesel car was commenting on the amount of money saved per month. He has high mileage around 2500km/mth as he stays in the east and parents in the west.

With his amount of mileage compared to mine +-1000km/mth, his fuel bills are much lower man..

Then should I consider changing to diesel car?

My parents in North West, parents-in-laws in East, my own place in North. Lol

I do agree with the above saying. My colleague whom has gotten a new diesel car was commenting on the amount of money saved per month. He has high mileage around 2500km/mth as he stays in the east and parents in the west.

With his amount of mileage compared to mine +-1000km/mth, his fuel bills are much lower man..

↡ Advertisement