Diesel cars in vogue now

Soya

Hard to describe but you did a very good job.

Below 2k rpm at 110kph, that is pretty impressive, I assume you can easily push the rpm to 3k and the accleleration is still quite linear?

I test drove the 520 turbo twice recently, the drive is pretty decent. Like you say, when pushed, the engine note is a little "rough" but power is more than sufficient for Singapore roads. I might just take your advice and go test drive the 520D but it would mean having to give up my at least once a year road trip up north.... that is probably the reason diesel car is still not in my shortlisted to date. More choice = more headache. Maybe buy a diesel only in 2017 when Bolehland is ready.

How often do you go up north? As many others mentioned, simply just go in a full tank, and mix maybe 20%-30% of their diesel on the way there. I think it's a non-concern for me as I do not go up often. I would imagine 1,200kms going at a constant cruise up NSHW very possible and that will bring you to KL and back with extra fuel to spare.

The 520d's gearing is so tall that I do not hit gear 8 most of the time in Singapore. In the old 523i I do get to gear 8 at highway speeds. Right here you'll have to be exceeding the legal speed limit to cruse at gear 8. At the legal SG 80-90kph, the car is usually in gear 7 (and still under 2K rpm).

The 8 speed ZF box in the 5'er is a fantastic piece of engineering.

Just curious, what's your highest speed and at what rpm? I have come across diesel cars up north, terrific torque even at high speeds but they seem to run out of steam quite fast?

No chance to try here. I have not gone up north with my car yet.

The car easily gets to 120kph without effort and I have to set the audible warning in the car to alert me at 100kph.

Yes, if you rev it, it does run out of steam somewhere above 3.5K nearer to 4K rpm. I heard that the BMW Performance Power Kit (factory ECU remap + uprated intercooler) will give more pull above 4K rpm but seriously speaking I did not buy this car to race, so it's good enough for me. I don't mind if there's a group buy though.

It takes some getting used to driving a diesel. We all like to rev the petrol car because the top end is where the fun is, but diesel cars do best in the mid range, somewhere between 2K-3.5K. The tall gearing helps too.

Edited by Detach8
  • Praise 1

Taxi companies have special sites that sell diesel at cheap rates. They do not need to use the big boys diesel

Assuming diesel becomes dutiable, wouldn't that apply to all sources of diesel as well, notwithstanding the fact that taxi companies may still have access to relatively cheaper diesel? Unless, of course, the government decides to waive duty for taxis and there's some form of control.

How often do you go up north? As many others mentioned, simply just go in a full tank, and mix maybe 20%-30% of their diesel on the way there. I think it's a non-concern for me as I do not go up often. I would imagine 1,200kms going at a constant cruise up NSHW very possible and that will bring you to KL and back with extra fuel to spare.

The 520d's gearing is so tall that I do not hit gear 8 most of the time in Singapore. In the old 523i I do get to gear 8 at highway speeds. Right here you'll have to be exceeding the legal speed limit to cruse at gear 8. At the legal SG 80-90kph, the car is usually in gear 7 (and still under 2K rpm).

The 8 speed ZF box in the 5'er is a fantastic piece of engineering.

I am a Terengganu regular (about once a year, sometimes twice), so up/down via route 3 already more than 1200km.

If can mix a little EURO II and store around 10L in jelly can, it may work for me. Think need to test drive to decide if worth the trouble, your write-up has certainly piqued my interest. Thanks for sharing.

• Praise 1

Assuming diesel becomes dutiable, wouldn't that apply to all sources of diesel as well, notwithstanding the fact that taxi companies may still have access to relatively cheaper diesel? Unless, of course, the government decides to waive duty for taxis and there's some form of control.

Sure why not, the 2 biggest ones are afterall owned by?

EVen if they go to pump at the cartels.....there can always be fleet card charged back to the origins. For controls, they can audit via the amount pumped Vs Distance vias GPS.....

They are very creative & competent when it comes to this.

• Praise 1

Some of the pump in malaysia are Euro 4 diesel ready. Just need to find out where are they and plan your route accordingly.

Like some foummers mentioned, mixing a lityle of Euro 2 diesel is fine for Euro 4 and above. It is constant running on Euro 2 diesel that kills the engine. Since 1 litre can yield 20km, a BMW tank can easily goes up to 70L? Plus a 20L of Euro 2 diesel, should be ok.

• Praise 1

hmm.. I just wondering off my limited automotive knowledge..

since diesel cars here have DPF and the regen process will burn off soots, does that mean using Euro2 Diesel causes too much soot before the regen process can burn it off hence causing it to choke?

Neutral Newbie

I travel daily from south to East (Changi) for work approx. 29km per trip. You reckon enough distance for DPF to work?

I drive a renault diesel- i think i read somewhere in the manual that its not the distance, but the RPM travelled at- for the renault, its recommended to go at 2-2,5K rpm to regenerate the DPF- trouble is, its hard to hit such rmps unless you go manual and drag the gears.

• Praise 1

hmm.. I just wondering off my limited automotive knowledge..

since diesel cars here have DPF and the regen process will burn off soots, does that mean using Euro2 Diesel causes too much soot before the regen process can burn it off hence causing it to choke?

The car is supposedly intelligent. It can detect if the DPF is choked by sensing the exhaust backpressure, not sure how exactly this works. But I think Euro2 diesel will not only choke the DPF, but probably cause other issues. I am not sure -- worth a research.

I am a Terengganu regular (about once a year, sometimes twice), so up/down via route 3 already more than 1200km.

If can mix a little EURO II and store around 10L in jelly can, it may work for me. Think need to test drive to decide if worth the trouble, your write-up has certainly piqued my interest. Thanks for sharing.

Carrying fuel in a jerry can is supposedly illegal. I can't seem to verify this -- need to find out. I think mixing around 20% of Euro2 should be OK, or if there's Euro4 i think can mix even more, maybe 50%?

That's very far. I would be comfortable going up to KL and back, but to Terengganu -- that's a tad too far. You need to factor in the possibility of jams. Diesel is no magic, traffic jams will burn fuel too. In that case, the 528i will bring you the best of both worlds in terms of power, torque and refinement. You won't get the fuel economy of course. :P

Edited by Detach8

Neutral Newbie

I was advised by the service reps, its ok to pump sub euro 5 diesel, just don't do it regularly and never pump on an empty tank- he suggests mixing 50%-75% euro 5 with other sub euro 5 diesels.

and when you return, run the car through a couple of tank of euro 5 diesels.

IMO, I think while euro 2 is potentially damaging to the engine, it takes quite a bit to cause perm damage- in fact when i was shopping for my car, Peugeot's warranty for its diesel range remains even when pumped with non euro 5 diesel. (This remains to be verified if its still valid)

Sounds so ideal for my driving in Sg. I cuise at 2-2.2k.

I move off 2.5-3k. Sometimes up to 3.5k

On weekends when on full load I will reach 3.5k a little more often and sometimes 4k.

Hope they bring in Maz 2 1.5L Sky-D.

Then my 9-10/L will become 18-20/L. lol dreaming.....

On weekends when on full load I will reach 3.5k a little more often and sometimes 4k.

Most diesel vehicles, you cruise at those rpms, licence will be lost very fast.

• Praise 1

Most diesel vehicles, you cruise at those rpms, licence will be lost very fast.

Shoudnt be lah, Maz 2 Sky D 1.5L should still be 6AT, not as tall as those 7 & 8 ratio eqpt boxes. Not to mention, 1.5TD, should be less 100hp -_- ......but the torque at least 200nm [grin]

If its the Sky D 2.2L, then yes....pretty much confirmed...

Twincharged

Can't compare with petrol leh. Some diesel cars I drove, if you rev to 3.5k is already close to redline.

Can't compare with petrol leh. Some diesel cars I drove, if you rev to 3.5k is already close to redline.

Oh, guess u mean something like 3k rpm for a Vios = 55hp, whereas 3k for a 1.5 TD could be 75hp?

If so, guess, I should still be accessing up to 3k on a regular basis for a 1.5TD in Sg.

Shoudnt be lah, Maz 2 Sky D 1.5L should still be 6AT, not as tall as those 7 & 8 ratio eqpt boxes. Not to mention, 1.5TD, should be less 100hp -_- ......but the torque at least 200nm [grin]

If its the Sky D 2.2L, then yes....pretty much confirmed...

I drove the Peogeut 3008 diesel with 6spd manual in Germany. At 140km/h, engine speed still around 2k rpm.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Oh, guess u mean something like 3k rpm for a Vios = 55hp, whereas 3k for a 1.5 TD could be 75hp?

If so, guess, I should still be accessing up to 3k on a regular basis for a 1.5TD in Sg.

Can't remember the exact figures but I roughly recall I can accelerate quite briskly even below 1500rpm. So I guess cruising rpm will be quite low. Diesel cars also don't rev as high as petrol. Driving diesel is different from petrol cuz don't really get more power at high RPM. No point revving so high.

Edited by Nzy
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1