Is it time to slap 60 limit back on goods vehicles again?

Furrynadz

78 members have voted

1. 1. 60km/h limit + left lane + orange beeper on top

• yay
    • nay

Thread starter must have personal agenda against commercial vehicles. So fast assume it is due to speeding?

Lets say we assume the lorry driver really was speeding.

Lets help thread starter understand some logic, if the lorry driver was speeding above 70km/hr thereby ignoring the 70km/hr rule, would dropping the speed limit to 60km/hr FORCE THE LORRY DRIVER TO THINK TWICE ABOUT SPEEDING? he already willing to exceed 70, why would he care about exceeding 60? In other words, dropping the speed limit is not going to prevent this crash (again, assuming this crash was even caused by speeding in the first place).

Also, while I understand some people's opinion for hating commercial vehicles who are not on the left most lane. I perfectly understand the need for heavy lorries to be in left lane. However, why must you all also condemn light goods vehicle or goods-cum-passenger vehicles? I hope LTA can reconfigure the policy to allow the same freedom that exists for cars and motocycles to also apply to these light goods vehicle i.e remove the 70km/hr speed limit and allowing them the use of 1st lane as overtaking lane. They are as powerful, as safe and sometimes the exact same as the cars. E.g. Some turbo diesel models are more powerful than most bread and butter cars, they is no way they will be slowing down traffic. There are also models that have the same chassis as their car counterpart. In fact, you can now register a light goods vehicle as a private car with an 'S' plate and be treated as a private vehicle without the limits, this fact alone shows a loophole but it also means that LTA has started to recognize that it is plain stupid to continue the use of an old system of classification on the existing light goods vehicle. LTA must recognize that times have changed, and that separating light goods vehicle from lorries etc will help boost our economy (this is actually real, the higher speed limit really does affect GDP) and definitely not endanger the public.

In all fairness, I am speaking as a van driver.

there are many simple-minded people around. they naively stereotype their world into simple categories so that it's easier for them to direct their unhappiness in their lives. taxi-hater, motorcycle-hater, luxury car-hater, foreigner-hater, elite-hater, you name it. i guess it's just a way for people to manage their issues in life.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

cos u pay less COE

go get S plate commercial vehicle, they allow u in lane 1

this is bull crap la, if people buy commercial because of less COE, then the streets will be filled with commercial vans already.

1. there are times when private COE hit $1, there are times when commercial COE hit $52k, making your argument invalid.

2. I drive van because of company requiring movement of goods. I am pretty sure that is the reason for 99% of van drivers.

this is bull crap la, if people buy commercial because of less COE, then the streets will be filled with commercial vans already.

1. there are times when private COE hit $1, there are times when commercial COE hit $52k, making your argument invalid.

2. I drive van because of company requiring movement of goods. I am pretty sure that is the reason for 99% of van drivers.

i mentioned that based on ur statement....

Ok this is what I think. Commercial vehicle like light good vehicle actually are alright in lane 1 but just that they under cat commercial like vans, buses and lorries which is not safe in lane 1.

Thats why they allow light good vehicles to have S plate.

I think no point saying commercial vehicles speed when we do not look at ourselves first. Are we saints? Never speed before?

So why the double standard?

Edited by Watwheels

Turbocharged

Nb, it is all the indian and ah tiong lorry drivers that i encountered.

Many times, they dont even bother to check blind spot

Watched the 9pm news last night and they mentioned that this was caused by a MY lorry brake failure.

I believe most of the drivers will blame brake fault during accident.

100 % chop and confirmed.

• Praise 3

As a BUS DRIVER before, I'm fully aware that everyone speeds but the difference is the damage it can cause.

I was thinking more on the heavy vehicles especially buses, trailers and dump trucks. Vans, lorries (up to certain laden weight) are still light vehicles. These are not as damaging as those heavy vehicles.

If TS is merely generalizing on commercial vehicles then I guess it is not fair. I'm more for limiting the speed of heavy vehicles and I mean really restricting only to 60km/h. I know it is already implemented but not actively enforced and the thoughts of them able to temper with the device is scary...

Anyway I'm against HEAVY VEHICLES, they should not be on LANE 2, 1... If their speed limit is 60km/h, then what the hell are they thinking to overtake other vehicles!!!! [thumbsdown][shakehead]

• Praise 4

I wouldnt say that's 99%, but probably 80%. I've personally know a couple of ppl that are retired and driving van just as a form of transport.

• Praise 1

regardless of the speed limit, if there is no proper enforcement.....end of the day.....whatever speed limit set will also be exceeded.

on our road, it is not just speeding that is a common problem, but also hogging...especially heavy vehicle moving at low speed with their left signal light always blinking but forever over-taking in the middle lane.

• Praise 5

Anyway I think most of the haters here hate big commercial vehicles and most that are defending them are driving smaller ones like vans, I think we should categorize commercial vehicles to big and small.

regardless of the speed limit, if there is no proper enforcement.....end of the day.....whatever speed limit set will also be exceeded.

on our road, it is not just speeding that is a common problem, but also hogging...especially heavy vehicle moving at low speed with their left signal light always blinking but forever over-taking in the middle lane.

If their speed limiter is not disabled, they can only go up to 65km/h if I'm not wrong. That explain why they go on second lane, trying to filter but unable to do so. Whereas those going on second lane and able to hit 80km/h, these are the speed limiter disabled trucks.

• Praise 1

I don't really mind the speeding ones but it is those who hog lanes 1 & 2, driving at 50-60km/hr with no other vehicles in front of them, one empty stretch of expressway.

With u on this one. Lane 2 has become the 'default' lane for vans and pick-up.

• Praise 1

TPE many times see big trucks in lane 2.

But they are Malaysian plate, nothing can stop them.

Literally nothing can stop them!!! [laugh]

spaceballs+we+brake.png

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Literally nothing can stop them!!! [laugh]

spaceballs+we+brake.png

i think TP must t loan some Leapoard tanks to deal with these MY lorries

Turbocharged

Pls put back the blinker and make it bigger

or just put speed-cut device in these lorries / vans, max speed:- 60kmh [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2