Is it time to slap 60 limit back on goods vehicles again?

Furrynadz

78 members have voted

1. 1. 60km/h limit + left lane + orange beeper on top

• yay
    • nay

worth considering.

increase speed limit also means lesser chance for increase of ERP charges since vehicles travelling on the e'way are above the optimal speed.

next, follow the 2 sec rule. this ensure the vehicle has ample space to change lanes, and not slow down which will decrease the average speed of all vehicles on the e'way

Again, can be simplify, make it compulsory for heavy vehicles on the extreme lane of the expressway to give way to vehicles filtering left to exit the expressway in addition to having long double white lines leading to expressway exits to deter "last minute" lane changers.

↡ Advertisement

also to point out another interesting thought. do you all think that maybe because of the lower speed limit for commercial vehicles compared to private vehicles, this actually caused the traffic on the expressway to be inefficient.

how many times you slow down when you just enter expressway because of the slower moving vehicles on the left. how many times you brake and adjust speed just to exit an expressway but there is a long queue of vans and lorries hogging the left most lane. when the left most lane is stuck in jam probably because of the common breakdowns and accidents, it is inevitable for them to use the middle lane and because of their 70km/hr speed limit, you as a car driver now drives at 70km/hr behind them, so what do you do, you then move to your 1st lane to overtake, but since everyone is doing so too, you now have hoggers on every lane.

basically on an expressway, the traffic is more or less going to self regulate to the slowest vehicles (weakest link of a team rule). why can't we follow autobahn, let the laws of nature and statistic dictate the most efficient traveling speed, making it self regulating, like an invisible hand. if the road says you can go at 90, are you going to maintain 90 in a jam? normal road default limit is 50km/hr, do you see drivers u-turning at 50km/hr? they self regulate for their own safety. if a driver is willing to exceed his own expectations of safety, you think your speed limit will stop him from doing so?

sometimes, using laws and strict procedures to regulate may not be the most efficient method. i remember looking at a video on plane boarding algorithms, some airlines use last row go in first, some let windows seats board first, even mathematicians devise the most devilish algorithm cannot beat the best algorithm. the best algorithm shocked everyone, basically it is no algorithm, just chaos, free seating. somehow, letting passengers find their own free seating ensures the fastest boarding times. go check up the video if you have the time. http://www.vox.com/2014/4/25/5647696/the-way-we-board-airplanes-makes-absolutely-no-sense

the government should just have trials on no speed limits for a few months, the results will prove my point, there will be no rise in accidents, and yet, GDP goes up due to less jams.

Later traffic condition become like Vietnam and China. [sweatdrop][laugh]

need to have speed limit, everyday on the long stretch of Pioneer-Jalan Buroh can see all sorts of overtaking manoeuvres by buses,trucks ,trailers, lorries. the thing is that at high speed, these vehicles are unsteady and swaying in their lane. i am usually concerned when these vehicles drove alongside me and i am already at 80km/h, if i slowdown i risk getting a big kiss from behind.

need to have speed limit, everyday on the long stretch of Pioneer-Jalan Buroh can see all sorts of overtaking manoeuvres by buses,trucks ,trailers, lorries. the thing is that at high speed, these vehicles are unsteady and swaying in their lane. i am usually concerned when these vehicles drove alongside me and i am already at 80km/h, if i slowdown i risk getting a big kiss from behind.

Video them speeding and sent to TP ?

Yes.. that stretch is like really race track...

Thread starter must have personal agenda against commercial vehicles. So fast assume it is due to speeding?

Lets say we assume the lorry driver really was speeding.

Lets help thread starter understand some logic, if the lorry driver was speeding above 70km/hr thereby ignoring the 70km/hr rule, would dropping the speed limit to 60km/hr FORCE THE LORRY DRIVER TO THINK TWICE ABOUT SPEEDING? he already willing to exceed 70, why would he care about exceeding 60? In other words, dropping the speed limit is not going to prevent this crash (again, assuming this crash was even caused by speeding in the first place).

Also, while I understand some people's opinion for hating commercial vehicles who are not on the left most lane. I perfectly understand the need for heavy lorries to be in left lane. However, why must you all also condemn light goods vehicle or goods-cum-passenger vehicles? I hope LTA can reconfigure the policy to allow the same freedom that exists for cars and motocycles to also apply to these light goods vehicle i.e remove the 70km/hr speed limit and allowing them the use of 1st lane as overtaking lane. They are as powerful, as safe and sometimes the exact same as the cars. E.g. Some turbo diesel models are more powerful than most bread and butter cars, they is no way they will be slowing down traffic. There are also models that have the same chassis as their car counterpart. In fact, you can now register a light goods vehicle as a private car with an 'S' plate and be treated as a private vehicle without the limits, this fact alone shows a loophole but it also means that LTA has started to recognize that it is plain stupid to continue the use of an old system of classification on the existing light goods vehicle. LTA must recognize that times have changed, and that separating light goods vehicle from lorries etc will help boost our economy (this is actually real, the higher speed limit really does affect GDP) and definitely not endanger the public.

In all fairness, I am speaking as a van driver.

most people know commercial vehicles are powerful ... and hazardous ...... that's why need to restrict their speed !

force = ma; goods/commercial vehicles when fully loaded are high mass projectiles.

most people know commercial vehicles are powerful ... and hazardous ...... that's why need to restrict their speed !

force = ma; goods/commercial vehicles when fully loaded are high mass projectiles.

Similarly, if you have something like APV fully loaded with 8 passengers travelling at high speed, it becomes a high mass projectile.

Similarly, if you have something like APV fully loaded with 8 passengers travelling at high speed, it becomes a high mass projectile.

by this, we have to slap speed limit on APV as well, hehe.

video on power of a truck. . .

• Praise 1

Ya quite scary especially when its raining

• Praise 1

The key concern is safety.

Heavy with goods, less safe for other road users.

Heavy with passengers, less safe for the passengers.

.... and diesel emit more NOx than petrol ?

↡ Advertisement