How much to replace 06 Wish radiator and fan plus 2 pipes?

Atrecord

My 06 wish suddenly had the temp warning light lit up yest. went workshop and was told radiator leak and the fan is weak… suggested to replace these 2, plus 2 pipes connected to the radiator...

How much should this cost on average? Was told after labour should maybe $1100...

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

How long did you continue driving after the light came on? Did you attempt to cool the engine down by pouring water into the radiator immediately?

If yes, then you should replace the whole radiator.

Where was the leak? At the top part of the radiator where there's a plastic cover with a radiator cap on top, or did it leak at the pipe joint or at the bottom/middle of the radiator?

If the leak is at the top part, then you only need to replace the radiator top cover, which should be about S$200. The hoses and radiator thermostat may need replacing, although a new thermostat is optional.

My 06 wish suddenly had the temp warning light lit up yest. went workshop and was told radiator leak and the fan is weak… suggested to replace these 2, plus 2 pipes connected to the radiator...

How much should this cost on average? Was told after labour should maybe $1100...

Radiator dun play play. However if you wana take risk can do a overhaul. ie the workshop will send your radiator for leak tests and 'repair' all the leaking parts at the metal joints, fins etc etc.

The hoses & fan please change brand new hor. Then pour in fresh new toyota long life coolant.

Should last till u sell ur car?

Edited by Bravo

How long did you continue driving after the light came on? Did you attempt to cool the engine down by pouring water into the radiator immediately?

If yes, then you should replace the whole radiator.

Where was the leak? At the top part of the radiator where there's a plastic cover with a radiator cap on top, or did it leak at the pipe joint or at the bottom/middle of the radiator?

If the leak is at the top part, then you only need to replace the radiator top cover, which should be about S$200. The hoses and radiator thermostat may need replacing, although a new thermostat is optional.

On Sun, felt a/c not cold after driving for like 15 min. But after shopping went home (only 10 min trip) a/c was ok.

I thought only a/c prob. No temp light yet.

Yest, wife drove a bit to work, a/c not cold, and the temp light came on in red intermittent. It was about 30-40 min journey. After work, light also on/off, and she drove to workshop (about 25 min) and left car there. WS said once overheat, a/c will cut off, so yest before checking already suspect is related to radiator/temp control.

I didn't see it nor asked details (not technical mah…), but did ask them if can change recon or got any other choices/option and is it really necessary to change. He said now the radiator and parts different from last time, cannot patch (unlike when it was copper-made). Now got plastic parts, so better to change the whole part...

Is this good advice, or just trying to fleece me to part with $$?

Radiator dun play play. However if you wana take risk can do a overhaul. ie the workshop will send your radiator for leak tests and 'repair' all the leaking parts at the metal joints, fins etc etc.

The hoses & fan please change brand new hor. Then pour in fresh new toyota long life coolant.

Should last till u sell ur car?

sigh… have been checking out cars but COE still so damned high… only got 1 yr 4 mth to go at max… and this have to happen...

i misread your 'long life' for 'life-long' coolant… tot really got so good [:)]

Supercharged

one important question:

did you see any coolant lost? That will determine whether radiator is leaking or not.

Exactly....good question.

from the symptom you mentioned (a/c not cool and intermittent high temp indication), most likely is the radiator fan is weaken already. At least this to be change for sure.

As for whether radiator required to change, the workshop should able to do the pressure test using the general available testing tool which plug into the radiator cap position and pressurized the whole cooling system.

There should be NO pressure drop observed during the pressurized period, like at least 15min holding time (assume).

If small pressure drop = minor leak exist

if large pressure drop = major leak exist.

Also during the test period the mechanic will check using naked eyes up and down your engine bay to find any traces of coolant leak out.

if that w/s do not have this general testing tool, please say bye bye to them which they are not fit to repair your cooling system.

I do not think not all w/s will do this test free for you if your are not engaging their repair service, but at least they can help to test this for you prior the fan replacement work. (try ask the w/s first the testing tool availability before confirming that "w/s" for your fan replacement)

Then if really there is leak observed, then all hoses will be removed to check the condition of all the joints.

It is difficult to judge now until the hoses are removed, inspected and then only w/s or you can decide any other part required to change.

On Sun, felt a/c not cold after driving for like 15 min. But after shopping went home (only 10 min trip) a/c was ok.

I thought only a/c prob. No temp light yet.

Yest, wife drove a bit to work, a/c not cold, and the temp light came on in red intermittent. It was about 30-40 min journey. After work, light also on/off, and she drove to workshop (about 25 min) and left car there. WS said once overheat, a/c will cut off, so yest before checking already suspect is related to radiator/temp control.

I didn't see it nor asked details (not technical mah…), but did ask them if can change recon or got any other choices/option and is it really necessary to change. He said now the radiator and parts different from last time, cannot patch (unlike when it was copper-made). Now got plastic parts, so better to change the whole part...

Is this good advice, or just trying to fleece me to part with $$?

sigh… have been checking out cars but COE still so damned high… only got 1 yr 4 mth to go at max… and this have to happen...

i misread your 'long life' for 'life-long' coolant… tot really got so good [:)]

Ya.. nowadays, repairing is cost much more than replacement work.... somemore no guarantee...

one important question:

did you see any coolant lost? That will determine whether radiator is leaking or not.

sigh… we left the car at the workshop last evening, when it was still hot (so can't check). This morning never went there leh...

only the workshop called me just now tell me leaked. I did ask is it that there's no more water left and he said yes, and that it was lucky got wind blow and not really travelled v v long, else whole engine overheat even engine also need change...

from the symptom you mentioned (a/c not cool and intermittent high temp indication), most likely is the radiator fan is weaken already. At least this to be change for sure.

As for whether radiator required to change, the workshop should able to do the pressure test using the general available testing tool which plug into the radiator cap position and pressurized the whole cooling system.

There should be NO pressure drop observed during the pressurized period, like at least 15min holding time (assume).

If small pressure drop = minor leak exist

if large pressure drop = major leak exist.

Also during the test period the mechanic will check using naked eyes up and down your engine bay to find any traces of coolant leak out.

if that w/s do not have this general testing tool, please say bye bye to them which they are not fit to repair your cooling system.

I do not think not all w/s will do this test free for you if your are not engaging their repair service, but at least they can help to test this for you prior the fan replacement work. (try ask the w/s first the testing tool availability before confirming that "w/s" for your fan replacement)

Then if really there is leak observed, then all hoses will be removed to check the condition of all the joints.

It is difficult to judge now until the hoses are removed, inspected and then only w/s or you can decide any other part required to change.

Ya.. nowadays, repairing is cost much more than replacement work.... somemore no guarantee...

On the pressure test… I'm not sure, but i suspect they dun have… Let me try check...

sigh… we left the car at the workshop last evening, when it was still hot (so can't check). This morning never went there leh...

only the workshop called me just now tell me leaked. I did ask is it that there's no more water left and he said yes, and that it was lucky got wind blow and not really travelled v v long, else whole engine overheat even engine also need change...

On the pressure test… I'm not sure, but i suspect they dun have… Let me try check...

The coolant reservoir tank is there for all to see. Hot or not hot no diff...

The coolant reservoir tank is there for all to see. Hot or not hot no diff...

wah really? i really sua ku… where is this tank huh? all along i only open the radiator cap and top up water till it spills… dunno got tank to check level leh...

wah really? i really sua ku… where is this tank huh? all along i only open the radiator cap and top up water till it spills… dunno got tank to check level leh...

trace the black hose that links the cap to the reservoir tank. Coolent normally red or green in colour.

↡ Advertisement