SG Widow and China Tour Guide Asset Tussle . .. .

Camrysfa

Here's the full report:

According to court papers obtained by The Straits Times, Madam Mok alleges that Mr Yang, who went to obtain permanent residency here, got the old woman to appoint him as her legal guardian under the Mental Capacity Act in 2012.

So the important question:

If the old woman signed it on her own free will before dementia sets in, and somemore chinaman has power of attorney, will chinaman win the case?

He's unethical but doesn't mean he has no legal ground to stand on

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

So the important question:

If the old woman signed it on her own free will before dementia sets in, and somemore chinaman has power of attorney, will chinaman win the case?

He's unethical but doesn't mean he has no legal ground to stand on

Yes. I think he should get the money if the woman willed him the money and appointed him before dementia set in. Anyway, how can a judge determine who should and shouldn't be entitled to the money? It belonged to the woman not the state. If she somehow determined that her family shouldn't get the money then tough luck for them (after all, they must have not been close for the woman to make such a decision).

After all, lots of women/mistresses/wives-who-marry-for-money get money from the man after they die so this shouldn't be any different. The fact that he falsely declared some documents to ICA should have no bearing on the money.

Of course, the assets should be locked up until he comes back to surrender and accept punishment for the false declaration.

Before anyone blasts me, please note that what I said only holds true if the woman was of clear-mind when she made those decisions. (Feeling lonely, sexually frustrated doesn't mean her mind was not clear).

Edited by Kusje

Who can prove her state of mind was not clear when the will was signed? Considering this is a retrospective enquiry...

Very difficult IMO.

All the CTG need to say is that the woman adopt him as godson.

No children to defend your interest is like that one la...

Poor have problem, too rich also have problem. Everyone eyeing for a piece of the $40mil assets...

Money is the root of all problem?!

Waiting for the guy to come out to say his side of story.. More juicy news..

Gonna buy wanbao and xinming papers tonight (again) :D

Who can prove her state of mind was not clear when the will was signed? Considering this is a retrospective enquiry...

Very difficult IMO.

All the CTG need to say is that the woman adopt him as godson.

No children to defend your interest is like that one la...

http://www.publicguardian.gov.sg/The-LPA/Where-to-find-a-Certificate-Issuer

To be a certificate issuer, the witness needs to be:

a. a medical practitioner accredited by the Public Guardian;
b. a practising lawyer; or
c. a registered psychiatrist
So most likely she was of a sound mind when it was signed unless the issuer was also colluding with the man.

http://www.publicguardian.gov.sg/The-LPA/Where-to-find-a-Certificate-Issuer

To be a certificate issuer, the witness needs to be:

a. a medical practitioner accredited by the Public Guardian;
b. a practising lawyer; or
c. a registered psychiatrist
So most likely she was of a sound mind when it was signed unless the issuer was also colluding with the man.

yes the lasting power of attorney issuer needs to ensure that the person was of sound mind.

Now ho seh liao, this issuer is going to get hauled up to court.

Not to judge anyone but only the family and the old woman knows why she would write her will like that. For all you know her relatives have been leeching off her for decades until she decided "give a stranger who is nice to me also won't give you" .. It is her money, she can do what she wants with it. The CTG like strike lottery .. Sounds familiar ? CPF ?

Yes. She has no immediate family. Even if this CTG has ulterior motives, she might not care.

Many people only remember kindness and disregard the darker side of people.

If the woman rewrote her will radically then have some case to argue bah.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

OB-AP090_maltes_20070829143825.jpg

So, this dog is evil & conniving huh?? haha

The late Leona Helmsley, known as the “Queen of Mean,” didn’t have many fans. And she didn’t care much for some of her relatives.

But apparently she did have one loyal friend: her dog.

In her will, made public yesterday, Ms. Helmsley left her pet Maltese $12 million from her multi-billion-dollar stash.

Two grandkids got nothing, and two others got less than the dog.

The lucky pup is named Trouble, which is fitting given the battle that’s sure to erupt between the five-star kennels, doggy sitters and paw manicurists that will care for her.

According to this article by Dareh Gregorian and Braden Keil in the New York Post, Trouble will stay with Ms. Helmsley’s brother, Alvin Rosenthal. The will orders the cash to be put into a special trust to benefit the dog, and a trustee will be named “to make sure the money is spent as Helmsley wanted, which likely includes cash for security and dog walkers as well as gourmet eats.” (Imagine the strait-laced trust officer at U.S. Trust meeting with his client every quarter: “Another chewy, madame?”)

Trouble also has expensive tastes. According to the Post, Ms. Helmsley would order her hotel chefs to drop what they were doing to prepare special meals for Trouble when she was hungry.

Still, $12 million is a lot of money for an eight-year old dog — even if her kibble is made from kobe.

If Trouble invests her money in a diversified portfolio, she’ll earn at least $600,000 a year — without dipping into her principal!

So here’s your chance, Wealth Report readers: What should Trouble do with the cash? Get a new diamond collar? Build a special doggy pool at the Park Lane and have it staffed by hunky Mastiffs? Daily doggy massages?

I've not seen a race as despicable and disgusting as the Chinese. And sadly I am Chinese too :(

This i agree with you.

For most parts of my life till now i suffered under the hands of Chinese.

Most times due to monetary gains.

And yes i am Chinese too. <_<

• Praise 1

I do come across the good ones, maybe they are the minority.

It's quiet true in my encounters with them at work.

Indeed there are humble, hardworking & honest ones.

However, majority are still Opportunists & Leeches, thus, tarring the good names of a few minority.

Yes. She has no immediate family. Even if this CTG has ulterior motives, she might not care.

Many people only remember kindness and disregard the darker side of people.

If the woman rewrote her will radically then have some case to argue bah.

Agreed with you.

Why the niece brought up the police after so many years?

Or the PRC forbade her from visiting the aunt?

So many questions... The plot getting thicker, game on !

• Praise 2

Twincharged

Praise 5 points to the niece!

Kudos.

Why praise the niece? The niece also not close to her at all or else how can the China Tour guide do all these for so many years without her knowing. The niece only appeared now when the aunt is getting old and sick.

• Praise 2

Maybe this Ah tiong does have a case?!

Maybe the niece is the one that wants to take over the assets?!

So many possibilities.... its going to be a juicy case that bound to spill over ...

↡ Advertisement