Drink Driving Is An Act Of Irresponsibility!

Osiris

Drunk Driving  

179 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know

With what seems like more drunk driving cases, someone suggested this measure.

Do you agree with it?

maybe, if those lie to say not driving but caught driving, double the punishment to the driver,passengers only.

EXTRACTED FROM THE NEWSPAPER.

STI Home > ST Forum > Story

May 8, 2007

Drink driving: Learn from the Japanese

TRAFFIC accidents involving drink drivers are on the rise again.

It is time that the authorities implemented stricter laws to reduce this. Recently, I was in Japan and learnt there are strict laws on drink driving there.

In pubs, before a customer orders a drink, the bartender will ask if he is driving. If so, the customer must hand over his car keys before he gets a drink. The pub must provide transport to take customers home.

For anyone caught drink driving, the traffic police will also charge the pub owner, drinking partners and all passengers inside the drink driver's vehicle.

Perhaps the authorities here can adopt some of the Japanese rules on drink driving to reduce the rise of this menace.

Derek Tay Yeng Kwee

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

For me, i think implementing 'Rotan' as part of package for punishment against drink driving would be a better option [:p]

Maybe, i jus wanna see blood [cool]

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

The authority has been putting through the various media to send the No. 1 message across

which is " U drink, Dont drive" over the years.I believe 100% of all Singaporean drivers got the message by now. But yet, still have some irresponsible drivers commit the offence, putting their career and dependants in misery. Worse still, if the accident involve innocent parties.

So whats the root of the problem????

Beer? Driver himself? There is always a saying: To solve a problem 100%, deal with the root cause!!!!

Above is all my personal views. Thks for reading.

Edited by Navyaveo
  • Praise 1

I had 3 Margaritas at Cha Cha Cha (Holland V) the other evening during dinner. Dunno why I went to order a pitcher to share between me and my g/f. But it was good.

Anyway, after 3 drinks, my head was super light. Now, the typical respond would be, "I'm still sober, I can think straight, I can drive."

YAH RIGHT rifle.gif

It was only 10pm when we finished dinner there and so I decided to take a nice long stroll around Holland V, going around to the various shops that were still open, looking aimlessly at their wares, and at their attempts to make me buy something. I wasn't there to buy anything, I was window shopping to clear off the alcohol. Tough luck for them.

The bottom-line is, if you want to drink, go ahead by all means, but make sure you're DEAD SURE that you're sober before even getting back behind the wheel.

• Praise 1

About 6 months ago, I was at having a great time with friends and the boss of a workshop in his very nice and classy showroom.

The guys poured some liquor drink (think it was Chivas) mixed with green tea. I didn't know it was so strong. After around 30 shots (which tasted just like green tea w/o alcohol), I was stone drunk.

Keeping my wits with me, I managed to struggle to the toilet where the inevitable happens. I still managed to find the energy to call my g/f and tell her that I was stone drunk.

An S13 friend called me up and asked me where the party was. He came late and ended up driving me safely back home. I was going to leave my S15 in the workshop anyway and take a cab home if my friend had not come by.

THE MOST IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO ALL TO LEARN FROM ME == DRINK BY ALL MEANS, BUT DON'T DRIVE WHEN YOU'RE FREAKING DRUNK

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

I fully agree with you. Better still, televise the punishment live as it is being meted out. Splash pic of the face and butts of the bugger all over the media.. 99% reduction in drink-driving is guaranteed......... [laugh][laugh]

The bottom-line is, if you want to drink, go ahead by all means, but make sure you're DEAD SURE that you're sober before even getting back behind the wheel.

Agree [nod][nod][nod]

Those that go 'Happy' liao then still drive, once kena accident or kena caught at roadblock should all be punished heavily instead of just licence kantong [mad]

My thoughts... if we're drinking, its our responsibility not to be driving. Despite a few cups be it sober or not... if we have to drive.. then I suggest we go non-alcohol..

Neutral Newbie

Just being pragmatic........ The law in its present form does not seem to work vis-a vis drink-driving. It's time to get serious with those irresponsible MF buggers.

Watched a Discovery documentary on people drunk commit crime after PUB drinking. They manage to reduce the crime by asking the PUB to distribute free Kik Kat to people to consume when they leave. They claim the sweet taste from Kik Kat stimulate their brain to be more alert.

Not sure is true or not.

(edited)

Bro, i share your thoughts [nod][nod][nod]

My practice is also 'Ai Lim Jiu, Mai Hwa Chia, Zer Tek Si Or Bo Lui liao then Zer Ba Si' [:)]

Edited by Mzrmazda3
  • Praise 1

It's time to get serious with those irresponsible MF buggers.

Spot on [nod][nod][nod]

I hope the relevant authority would log in to MCF & see what we, commoners could propose [sly]

There was once I drove my S15 back from Clark Quay after a long night's work.

I encountered a road block. To the left was a WRX with its occupants outside and I think already caught for drink driving. The officer stuck his head into my car after I wound down the window and asked where I came from.

I told him that I came from Clark Quay and just finished work there.

He was satisfied that he didn't smell any alcohol and waved me to drive on.

I don't like to drink and drive. That's a big no-no to me.

So when my g/f and the girls go out for a drink sometimes and I tag along, I always make sure that I stop drinking at least 1 to 2 hours before I need to drive home and usually, I only have around 2 to 3 shots this time. After that, I'm drowning down the freeflow of mixers (usually the Coke).

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

one way to get sober faster is to drink 1 to 2 big glasses of iced water.. then wait for it to be released - via urine.. once released, abt 30mins later, can really feel more sober.. but will not work if drink too much, better go public! [nod]

↡ Advertisement