New MX-5 2016

Eyke

Supercharged

1.5L is JDM version

2.0 is worldwide version?

some countries get both versions,

while some get only 2.0L, eg. USA.

↡ Advertisement

Yes, MX-5 is about drive, as is the 86/BRZ.

Whereas the S2000 is about... well, frankly I've never been able to figure out just what it's really about. It weighs more than the Miata, and by most accounts isn't as "fun" to drive. Yes, it's more powerful but considering that you need to rev it really hard to get at that power, and the lack of torque in the low-mid range, it's just not as engaging, IMO. Again, I haven't driven the S2K, always wanted to, so that could just be uninformed speculation. Maybe I'll buy one and give it a go. [laugh]

(I have driven the other cars - the MX-5 and the 86, and I like them both).

Just tune and bring the vtec point down a bit can already  :D

There's a write-up on the new MX-5 in today's Life! Motoring. Titled "Getting high on MX-5", the article describes the car in brief details. You're right, it is not a car for "big-frame individuals with prosperous waistlines".

Some brief specs:

Price : $163,888 with COE

Engine: 1,998cc 16-valve in-line 4

Transmission: Six-speed automatic with manual override

Power: 158bhp at 6,000rpm

Torque: 200Nm at 4,600rpm

0-100kmh: 8 secs

Top speed: 198kmh

Fuel consumption: 6.7l/100km

Go read the article:)

• Praise 1

Try sitting in the new MX-5,this car not for people,which is above 175cm in height & above 40" in waist...too tight. [thumbsdown]

It is small ka le. Can't expect SUV seat. Some more this is sport seat

There's a write-up on the new MX-5 in today's Life! Motoring. Titled "Getting high on MX-5", the article describes the car in brief details. You're right, it is not a car for "big-frame individuals with prosperous waistlines".

Some brief specs:

Price : $163,888 with COE

Engine: 1,998cc 16-valve in-line 4

Transmission: Six-speed automatic with manual override

Power: 158bhp at 6,000rpm

Torque: 200Nm at 4,600rpm

0-100kmh: 8 secs

Top speed: 198kmh

Fuel consumption: 6.7l/100km

Go read the article:)

Here's the article:

Mazda's latest iteration of its iconic roadster offers old-school charm in a modern, stylish package

Mazda's first MX-5 was a runway hit when it was launched in 1989, but the subsequent versions were less gripping. That is partly because other brands, including Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Porsche, had come out with their own modern roadsters by then. And they were all fun and competent in their own ways.

But just when you thought Mazda had run out of tricks to keep its wonder car relevant, it unleashes the fourth-generation MX-5. And, boy, what a rip-roaring roadster it is.

It looks like a million bucks, with sophisticated lines you would normally attribute to an Italian design house. Yet it is instantly recognisable as an MX-5, despite its slightly continental countenance with slim LED headlights that give a modern twist to this classic model.

The car has shrunk substantially and is now even shorter than what it was a quarter of a century ago. As such, it is not a car for big-frame individuals with prosperous waistlines. But if you are compact, you will appreciate the MX-5's stature the moment you get behind the wheel.

Mazda has gone with a neat manual soft top that can be opened and closed with one hand in almost one single movement. The car's dimensions help in this respect. The manual roof - as well as the car's size - contributes to the MX-5 weighing just a tad over a tonne.

So you have a modern roadster that is light as well as compact, which in itself is rather remarkable given how big and bloated cars in general have become.

Again, this becomes apparent behind the wheel. The moment you set off, the MX-5's incredible lightness of being comes to the fore. Powered by a high-compression 2-litre engine that makes 158bhp and 200Nm of torque, it is as breezy as a turbo, but appears a lot more linear and natural.

Instead of insane acceleration, it delivers a relaxed sportiness that comes from a responsive and seemingly endless throttle, enhanced by a taut and tarmac-adhering chassis.

The car comes across as balanced, centred and highly communicative. You sit closer to the road than before, with the engine pushed farther back to give the soft-top a perfect 50:50 weight distribution between front and rear.

Its dual-pinion electrically assisted steering mimics the mechanical jobs of days gone by. The chassis snaps into action with every twirl of the wheel, which is quick and sharp, but stops short of being twitchy. It is such a wonderfully sorted car that even wind noise - evident from 90kmh with the roof up - becomes part of the charm. Modern cars are so well insulated, you sometimes feel you are engaged in a video game instead of driving.

Drop the canopy and the engine's sonorous symphony comes to the fore. It is the best-sounding four-cylinder in a long while.

The MX-5 is one of the most comfortable topless cars around to drive. The air-conditioning remains cold, speakers in the headrests allow you to enjoy your music without being a hooligan and, somehow, your hair is not as ruffled.

With the roof down, the car is way more entertaining. And you do not even have to go fast. You can cruise leisurely with elbow on the door - which can be managed without having to raise the seat. It is almost like driving a custom-made car - one that brings back the joy you experienced when you first got behind the wheel.

The new MX-5 is not completely old school, though. It has stop-start function, keyless access and ignition, and drive selection in the automatic version. The latter comes with a self-blipping feature in Sport mode.

You can of course be a purist and go for the manual, with limited slip differential. It costs $3,000 less than the automatic. If the automatic is already so fun and loveable, you can imagine what the manual promises.

• Praise 1

It is small ka le. Can't expect SUV seat. Some more this is sport seat

Nope,my 370z got more headroom & legroom in it...seats also wider..

Supercharged

Try sitting in the new MX-5,this car not for people,which is above 175cm in height & above 40" in waist...too tight. [thumbsdown]

i 178 but can fit with enough headroom, but seat cannot push too far back else will not be able to recline, thus end up sitting too upright.

problem i have is engine noise even at low revs and it comes with ventilated seats...that blows hot air to your butt, dun understand y they no delete this useless feature.

i 178 but can fit with enough headroom, but seat cannot push too far back else will not be able to recline, thus end up sitting too upright.

problem i have is engine noise even at low revs and it comes with ventilated seats...that blows hot air to your butt, dun understand y they no delete this useless feature.

Similar to my previous MRS, the storage for canvas is behind your seat. I thought ventilated seat also blow cold air

I'm closer to 1.8M, and it does feel a little tight when I sat in the new MX-5 (at the launch).

Though, what I don't like is the transmission tunnel that blocks a large portion of the leg room.

Still, it's not meant to be a big car, so can't expect much. The storage spaces inside the cabin itself is not terribly generous either.

That one is heating seats,my 370z also got,they made it standard because the main market for the MX-5 is USA....a much needed feature in these cold countries. :wacko:

I'm closer to 1.8M, and it does feel a little tight when I sat in the new MX-5 (at the launch).

Though, what I don't like is the transmission tunnel that blocks a large portion of the leg room.

Still, it's not meant to be a big car, so can't expect much. The storage spaces inside the cabin itself is not terribly generous either.

1.8m.?You need to recline the seat to a slant position,make it worse,the steering is not adjustable for reach...You need to lower the roof everyday,for "Unlimited" headroom.

Mazda going towards snug supportive firm fit in their smaller cars. Even M6 feels less spacious than other brands. Still ok for a roadster but it means not for all drivers.

1.8m.?You need to recline the seat to a slant position,make it worse,the steering is not adjustable for reach...You need to lower the roof everyday,for "Unlimited" headroom.

Depending on which ruler used, either 1.79 or 1.8. Haha..

Can't recline the seat much if I'm seated in a comfortable distance from the wheel.. If the roof is down, no problem, if the roof is up, feels snug.. (I'm not the skinny type of guy)..

I like to lean back (when I'm parked) once in a while, can't do that in the new MX-5... Then again, the MR-S was comfortable enough for me.

Supercharged

I like to lean back (when I'm parked) once in a while, can't do that in the new MX-5... Then again, the MR-S was comfortable enough for me.

oh yeah hor, another downside, can't lean way back to take a nap while waiting for CO!

have to learn to nap while sitting upright  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement