SG causeway toll to increase 5-fold on 1-Oct-2014

bellboy

In the long run Malaysians who travel to singapore regularly will suffer more because they are not like we Singaporeans who are used to pay and pay and will get used to it soon.

• Praise 2

Your wish will come true very soon... No need to hope!!!

Come 1st Oct, I bet at least 50% drop in goers purely for petrol/ wash car...

I dare go a step bigger n bet big tat if the RM50 VEP is implemented, AT LEAST 90% drop!!!

Now juz waiting for MY side to implement VEP... *popcorn in hand*

If increase to RM50, I confirm 100% i won't go in liao wahahahha. RM50 + SGD50 = SGD70 whahaahahaha

LTA will follow and match Malaysia rate right? If Malaysia increase RM50, then Singapore will match right?

no lah sis............VEP is sg already adjusted from $20-$35..............now is waiting for MY to counter...........

instead of charging VEP on MY side............they went to increase the toll........so SG gov follow and increase the toll also lor.........

now the only thing left hanging in the air is the VEP on the MY side...........which is believe to be between RM50-RM100........if MY really implement VEP there is nothing to counter on SG side unless MY charge anything above the equivalent of S$35........... :D :D

Singapore govt will be very happy if Bolehland charges VEP on Singapore cars - that means less tax revenue leakages from those who drive in for makan, grocery shopping and even cheaper petrol.

JB will suffer big time, and it will be bye bye Iskandar developments.

• Praise 3

no lah sis............VEP is sg already adjusted from $20-$35..............now is waiting for MY to counter...........

instead of charging VEP on MY side............they went to increase the toll........so SG gov follow and increase the toll also lor.........

now the only thing left hanging in the air is the VEP on the MY side...........which is believe to be between RM50-RM100........if MY really implement VEP there is nothing to counter on SG side unless MY charge anything above the equivalent of S$35........... :D :D

Most likely Malaysia will not charge VEP, or maybe just a small amount. It doesn't make sense for them to do so. VEP for Singapore is to ease traffic congestion, Malaysia government might not have the reasons to back themselves to do this.

Most likely Malaysia will not charge VEP, or maybe just a small amount. It doesn't make sense for them to do so. VEP for Singapore is to ease traffic congestion, Malaysia government might not have the reasons to back themselves to do this.

increasing toll is revenue from every vehicle..........whereas VEP will only tax on foreign vehicles.........which will discourage SG cars...........I believe the amount of money collected in increase toll will be much higher than VEP..........making sense to increase toll....

I too believe that MY would not charge VEP so soon.............or mayb a very small amount towards the end of the year.........leaving a path for future increase when there is a need to collect more money...

All will depend on how is the acceptance of this increase in toll.........if they have plans for the money collected and helps the local with these monies............Malaysians may see the advantage of doing so...........and politically may lead to an advantage in the next election..........

but if these collection is to fill up some gaps somewhere..............will be hong kan liao.......... [laugh] [laugh]

Singapore govt will be very happy if Bolehland charges VEP on Singapore cars - that means less tax revenue leakages from those who drive in for makan, grocery shopping and even cheaper petrol.

JB will suffer big time, and it will be bye bye Iskandar developments.

Bro...Iskandar is a very big project..............it covers from nusajaya to pasir gudang..........which is like almost west to east of johor..... much further then JB town......residential is only part of it.............there are commercials and the development of the port..........not forgetting there is going to be a race track.........

those who bought house in nusajaya usually uses tuas 2nd link............so the increase in woodlands just make tuas look more affordable............those whom have invested commercially in Iskandar is not going to back away because of a toll or VEP increase........

Jb has one of the highest cost of living..........or mayb even the highest behind KL........partly due to Singaporeans.........with this move mayb cutting the spending in JB may bring down the cost of living in JB.........who knows it may be a planned move by the MY gov......... [laugh] [laugh]

• Praise 2

Too early to say..... Next, MY side increase to RM100 then you see how it will affect SG. SG lan lan also follow suit. What's the consequence? To Malaysia, at most Johor slump nia nia. To us, whole SG is affected. All fresh products from MY double overnight.

Song bo.....

So all fresh products would use Boat to deliver.. haha..

If fresh products from Malaysia would to double, then vendors from other countries would gain.. So far the increase in the toll does affect but not too much yet.. After 1st Oct kick in, i think the impact would be greater, public transport would earn more then.. Car no jam, become human jam.. Then every head counts charge $1 for coming in and out.. 200,000 people in/out, total $146 Million profits yearly... Not including Car Charges yet... Song Bo??

• Praise 1

Bro...Iskandar is a very big project..............it covers from nusajaya to pasir gudang..........which is like almost west to east of johor..... much further then JB town......residential is only part of it.............there are commercials and the development of the port..........not forgetting there is going to be a race track.........

those who bought house in nusajaya usually uses tuas 2nd link............so the increase in woodlands just make tuas look more affordable............those whom have invested commercially in Iskandar is not going to back away because of a toll or VEP increase........

Jb has one of the highest cost of living..........or mayb even the highest behind KL........partly due to Singaporeans.........with this move mayb cutting the spending in JB may bring down the cost of living in JB.........who knows it may be a planned move by the MY gov......... [laugh] [laugh]

Bro.. You have a very very good point.. Put my 2 thumps up...

Actually some vendors in JB already cut their prices to attract people.. eg- Car Wash.. Last time full grooming cost RM280, now RM170... I think slashes some prices in JB is good for both side.. Firstly, people in JB saves their costs, while singaporeans go there spend at lower cost also... haha..

So pay S$13 is worth it..... Those who scare to pay then just keep away instead of blocking the traffic.. But pity those drive to and fro due to work commitment... Sad...

Perhaps should implement a monthly pass for them (Both Custom)

• Praise 1

Bro.. You have a very very good point.. Put my 2 thumps up...

Actually some vendors in JB already cut their prices to attract people.. eg- Car Wash.. Last time full grooming cost RM280, now RM170... I think slashes some prices in JB is good for both side.. Firstly, people in JB saves their costs, while singaporeans go there spend at lower cost also... haha..

So pay S$13 is worth it..... Those who scare to pay then just keep away instead of blocking the traffic.. But pity those drive to and fro due to work commitment... Sad...

Perhaps should implement a monthly pass for them (Both Custom)

just my opinion..........we can actually see that JB is facing the same problems as SG in terms of foreign invasions.........here we kpkb of FT coming to take our job............there they kpkb singaporeans go there to jack up prices.........

politically it is no use keeping the high economic in Johor if they lost it in election...............keeping the seat and in term keeping the money is more important..........

like you mentioned........the high price in JB is cater for singaporeans................when the demand drops............businesses will have to adjust back to cater for locals.........if any business need to close shop because of the shortfall in SG customers.............they sld not be in JB in the first place...........

those who go in for cheap petrol and ciggi only will drop out.........those who go in to do actual shopping and relax will continue and enjoy a cheaper rate...............again easily offset the toll fees...........

I hope I am seeing something in that.............or I may be totally wrong if they just need to fill up the gap somewhere with those extra collections..................... [laugh] [laugh]

• Praise 2

I went in JB yesterday for some shopping. Notice the jam on causeway is better (only slightly) than before the toll was implemented.

Before, on a typical Sunday, the jam going into JB at 10-11am will tail back at least 1km to BKE. But yesterday, the jam on SG side is barely on the flyover into the checkpoint, while the jam on bridge is same as before.

Coming back is even more surprising. Came out at around 3pm, was expecting the jam to be damn jialat because it's the last day of SG school holidays, but surprisingly i cleared both side within 1hr mins. There was a small jam at JB side, took 15 mins to clear, and 40 min to clear the jam on the causeway and SG checkpoint.

Hopefully once the VEP kick in, traffic will be smoother. Seriously, things in JB is no longer as cheap as before. In fact, some stuff in Tesco/AEON is even more expensive than SG. Especially the imported stuff,

Yes. Fully agree on this. I also find now most things in JB is not really cheap at all. Maybe just slightly cheaper n some same price or even more there. [shakehead]

I stopped going JB for petrol n shopping since Jan this year cos the "savings" is so small its just not worth with all the jams n all. [hur]

Now I get all my stuff in SG. Even Car service n repairs I wil start to do in SG once I find a cheap n good WS here. [thumbsup]

• Praise 3
  • Dislike 1

i've got no problem with MY bikes coming in/ out, but for goodness sake, can the authorities cordon a lane for them? the way they ride gives me a nightmare everytime

Ya the way they ride is like inmates just escaped form IMH. [dizzy]

If increase to RM50, I confirm 100% i won't go in liao wahahahha. RM50 + SGD50 = SGD70 whahaahahaha

No need to wait for anymore increase.

I already stopped going in long ago. [rolleyes]

↡ Advertisement