SG causeway toll to increase 5-fold on 1-Oct-2014

bellboy

They should also match Malaysia roadtax, petrol prices.

And their pay package. There is no end to this comparison although I also think Singapore is really expensive these days.

↡ Advertisement

And their pay package. There is no end to this comparison although I also think Singapore is really expensive these days.

U only just finding SG expensive? [confused]

I start finding SG expensive so many years ago. Maybe 15-20 years back? [sly]

Prices just keep shooting up all the time. [sweatdrop]

Now its unbearable. [smallcry]

With the upcoming meeting betweeen SG n MY on the causeway toll, MY would have to shift the toll collection for EDL further awat from the CIQ to substantiate their justification. If not, collecting at CIQ would be construed by SG as otherwise.

Actually I think they could easily set up the toll booth after CIQ. But for vehicles entering EDL from PG and elsewhere, they would have more challenges in doing so, though not totally impossible.

With the upcoming meeting betweeen SG n MY on the causeway toll, MY would have to shift the toll collection for EDL further awat from the CIQ to substantiate their justification. If not, collecting at CIQ would be construed by SG as otherwise.

Actually I think they could easily set up the toll booth after CIQ. But for vehicles entering EDL from PG and elsewhere, they would have more challenges in doing so, though not totally impossible.

Don't you get it? It is politically unpalatable for the govt to charge toll on EDL. When it was first mooted, there were howls of protest as main users are the JBians (JB is an UNMO stronghold). Conveniently, SIngaporeans or the Singapore PRs are made to pay as less damages politically.

A 3 years old can tell you the EDL toll should be collected at EDL and not CIQ, Malaysian politicians are just so pathetic, worse than 3 years old.

We will be made to pay, I have no doubt about it and SG govt will collect more toll as a result of EDL but I support the matching policy.

Edited by Voodooman

They should also match Malaysia roadtax, petrol prices.

Therefore, the toll will never come down as no country will backtrack - national pride at stake? If MY raises it again, SGP will do likewise. [sweatdrop]

It was very clear from last time they implement the toll for another Hway n collect the toll at the Cway booth. [sly]

They just wan to collect a form of "tax" from ALL vehicles using the Cway entering Msia.. Maybe only 10% of the vehicles passing tru the cway wil actually use those Hways. [furious]

They Can very easily place the respective Toll Booths at the start of those Hways.

They got away with it last time so now they try to use that Old Trick again. Maybe they pushing their luck. Or they too lazy to think of a new excuse to charge everybody who use the Cway.

By charging the Toll at the Cway, they can collect much much more RM in total. [sly]

Don't you get it? It is politically unpalatable for the govt to charge toll on EDL. When it was first mooted, there were howls of protest as main users are the JBians (JB is an UNMO stronghold). Conveniently, SIngaporeans or the Singapore PRs are made to pay as less damages politically.

A 3 years old can tell you the EDL toll should be collected at EDL and not CIQ, Malaysian politicians are just so pathetic, worse than 3 years old.

We will be made to pay, I have no doubt about it and SG govt will collect more toll as a result of EDL but I support the matching policy.

Spot on. [thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup]

• Praise 2

Hmmmmmmmmm.....................MY come begging?

Malaysia wants to meet Singapore to discuss Causeway toll hike: Reports

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/malaysia-wants-to-meet/1371032.html

In a report in The Star Online, Malaysia’s Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Wee Ka Siong was quoted as saying that Singapore’s reason for the toll hike was “unjustified”, and that Malaysia officials want to meet their Singapore counterparts as soon as possible to discuss the situation.
johor-causeway.jpg File photo of a general view of the Causeway from Singapore to Johor Bahru. (AFP/Roslan Rahman)

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia officials want to meet their Singapore counterparts to get the city-state to reconsider its decision to increase checkpoint toll fees at the Causeway, according to the local media.

Singapore’s reason for the toll hike was “unjustified”, Malaysia’s Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Wee Ka Siong was quoted as saying in a report in The Star Online on Friday (Sep 19). He said that a meeting between Malaysia and Singapore officials would take place “as soon as possible”, for Malaysia to find out the reason for the increased toll charges at the Sultan Iskandar Customs, Immigration and Quarantine (CIQ) Complex.

“We have to meet them personally to rectify their perception that Malaysia introduced a new charge at the CIQ to pay the concessionaire and to upgrade the Eastern Dispersal Link (EDL),” Dr Wee said. “It should not be an excuse for them (Singapore) to increase their toll charges.”

On Aug 1, Singapore had raised fees for the Vehicle Entry Permit (VEP) for foreign-registered cars and the Goods Vehicle Permit (GVP). On the same day, Malaysia's government raised toll charges for all vehicles, except motorcycles, travelling from Singapore to Johor through the Causeway, and imposed a new Causeway toll for all vehicles travelling from Johor to Singapore.

Subsequently, Singapore’s Land Transport Authority announced that it would increase toll charges for all vehicles, except motorcycles, leaving Singapore through the Causeway from Oct 1. There will also be a new toll charge introduced for vehicles, except motorcycles, entering Singapore.

The move is in line with Singapore's long-standing policy of matching its toll charges at the Causeway and Second Link to those set by Malaysia, and Singapore will follow suit should Malaysia reduce or do away with the toll charges, the LTA has said. It had also pointed out the difference between Singapore’s VEP and GVP fees, and Malaysia’s new Causeway toll charges.

singapore-causeway-toll-data.jpgtoll-data.jpg

- Agencies/xq

Malaysia start to panic already because worry that less Singaporean going to Johor and affect the Johor business. If Johor business and economy get worst, they can kiss Goodbye to Johor in the next General Election

It was very clear from last time they implement the toll for another Hway n collect the toll at the Cway booth. [sly]

They just wan to collect a form of "tax" from ALL vehicles using the Cway entering Msia.. Maybe only 10% of the vehicles passing tru the cway wil actually use those Hways. [furious]

They Can very easily place the respective Toll Booths at the start of those Hways.

They got away with it last time so now they try to use that Old Trick again. Maybe they pushing their luck. Or they too lazy to think of a new excuse to charge everybody who use the Cway.

By charging the Toll at the Cway, they can collect much much more RM in total. [sly]

2 years ago before General Election, Najib made a promised "No toll at EDL and government will bear the cost".

If dun collect the toll, where to get the money ??? So some smart polictician suggest to put the toll at Causweway which can collect even more money by Singaporean is flooding JB every weekend and holiday !!! This also ensure Najib does not break his initial promised.

• Praise 1

Malaysia start to panic already because worry that less Singaporean going to Johor and affect the Johor business. If Johor business and economy get worst, they can kiss Goodbye to Johor in the next General Election

2 years ago before General Election, Najib made a promised "No toll at EDL and government will bear the cost".

If dun collect the toll, where to get the money ??? So some smart polictician suggest to put the toll at Causweway which can collect even more money by Singaporean is flooding JB every weekend and holiday !!! This also ensure Najib does not break his initial promised.

yes he did not break his promise, he only forgot his citizens are also coming to Singapore to work (regardless of bikes -> higher probability of accidents in SG or JB itself or cars -> pay VEP and still have to pay the increased tolls at CIQ with SG side coming up also). i use the second link more often due to proximity of other half's house location with the very occasional causeway usage but with such illogical excuse, i too find it hard to stomach and maybe due to inadequate education, unable to understand today's newspaper of Mr Liow (a Malaysian minister) coming to say that our government is wrong while their reasons for toll hikes are justifiable.

Edited by Sorrow
  • Praise 1

i felt sorry for this Malaysian minister who need to do all that explanation LTA

He is a Hakka same as me. so just pity him.

yes he did not break his promise, he only forgot his citizens are also coming to Singapore to work (regardless of bikes -> higher probability of accidents in SG or JB itself or cars -> pay VEP and still have to pay the increased tolls at CIQ with SG side coming up also). i use the second link more often due to proximity of other half's house location with the very occasional causeway usage but with such illogical excuse, i too find it hard to stomach and maybe due to inadequate education, unable to understand today's newspaper of Mr Liow (a Malaysian minister) coming to say that our government is wrong while their reasons for toll hikes are justifiable.

"i want money~! lotsa lotsa money~!

i wanna fly in the sky~~~!

i want money~! lotsa lotsa money~!

So stop keep asking me why~!

I wanna be rich~! oh-oh~~~!

want my cake i wanna eat it too~!

sha~la~la~la~la~!!!

I want the stars and the silver moon~!

i wanna fly in the sky~~~!

So stop keep asking me why~!

I wanna be rich~! oh-oh~~~!"

• Praise 3

just my opinion..........we can actually see that JB is facing the same problems as SG in terms of foreign invasions.........here we kpkb of FT coming to take our job............there they kpkb singaporeans go there to jack up prices.........

politically it is no use keeping the high economic in Johor if they lost it in election...............keeping the seat and in term keeping the money is more important..........

like you mentioned........the high price in JB is cater for singaporeans................when the demand drops............businesses will have to adjust back to cater for locals.........if any business need to close shop because of the shortfall in SG customers.............they sld not be in JB in the first place...........

those who go in for cheap petrol and ciggi only will drop out.........those who go in to do actual shopping and relax will continue and enjoy a cheaper rate...............again easily offset the toll fees...........

I hope I am seeing something in that.............or I may be totally wrong if they just need to fill up the gap somewhere with those extra collections..................... [laugh] [laugh]

Bro.. I love your way of talking.. You are god damn right.... ^_^

• Praise 1

by 1-Oct these commuters no need to use 2nd link and causeway?

sure have to use also la

what's wrong to collect more? [sly]

post-7984-0-16957400-1411988348_thumb.png

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

1-Oct lai liao .... huat ah!!!

whoever need to pump petrol ... go now ... make sure return by 11.59pm ... lol

toll charges increase 5-fold

vep increase 70%

with the surplus jui jui

hopefully govt share share with the people next year give big angbao ... SG50 leh ... huat ah!!!

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement