High mercury fish to avoid

LiuDeHua

There are some stalls selling these kind of fish from malaysia. The fish stall I go to is one of them. Only downside is his fish is limited by what he is able to get so not always have the fish I am looking for and he doesn't open all the time. Cuz sometimes no fish. His fish also very cheap. Normally can buy 3-4 fish for less than $20. I go other stalls in that market and buy the same amount of fish and I'll easily spend at least 50% more.

Maybe u can share?

PM me the location of this stall. If convenient I dun mind buying from him. [nod]

I wil only eat live or really fresh fish. [grin]

↡ Advertisement

Maybe u can share?

PM me the location of this stall. If convenient I dun mind buying from him. [nod]

I wil only eat live or really fresh fish. [grin]

At TPY Lorong 4 market. Walk through the hawker centre and its the first stall from the left. His fish very limited only and not always open.

At TPY Lorong 4 market. Walk through the hawker centre and its the first stall from the left. His fish very limited only and not always open.

OK Thanks.

Wait one morning I around there n I rememeber I pop by n check out his fish.

If really so good, I steam u a nice KBL for lunch one day. [nod]

Usually the deeper the fiah resides, the more mercury its exposed to. I understand that there are those extremely gigantic groupers deep in sea. But my understanding of grouper in chinese is 石板(not sure which ban) I thought they always reside on rocks near the shore? Or 石板 is snapper? Dont sound right to me.

It shd be 死吧鱼. Can kill if consumed too much especially if toxin entered blood stream. Had personal experience w someone close in China. N all the hospital cld do was to put on drip. Luckily I remembered an old medicinal receipe.

• Praise 1

Another fish that is very high in mercury is stingy ray. People like to bbq or hotplate with sambal. Generally, those fishes that roam the bottom of seabed is high in mercury.

• Praise 2

Another fish that is very high in mercury is stingy ray. People like to bbq or hotplate with sambal. Generally, those fishes that roam the bottom of seabed is high in mercury.

Really? I thought is predatory fish that have take very long to mature have high levels of mercury?

Because fishes cannot dispel the mercury from their bodies.

So the longer they live, the more mercury accumulates.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

The notorious Vietnamese catfish, the Pangasius, or Dory has been certified safe to eat.

Edited by Vinceng

A research paper was done on the local species of fish and their mercury content.

The results are quite different from the US guidelines of which fish are high in mercury.

In summary, all the fish caught in Malaysia are safe to eat, with perhaps the exception of Mangrove Jack (Mangrove Red Snapper) and Fingermark Bream (John's Snapper). This makes sense because these species of fish like to live near the coast where industrial and shipping activities are high, and they are predators that feed on other fish and crustaceans.

Please read the paper at:

Mercury levels of marine fish commonly consumed in Peninsular Malaysia
Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2015; 22(5): 3672–3686.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4334092/

Edited by 168
  • Praise 1

14 minutes ago, 168 said:

A research paper was done on the local species of fish and their mercury content.

The results are quite different from the US guidelines of which fish are high in mercury.

In summary, all the fish caught in Malaysia are safe to eat, with perhaps the exception of Mangrove Jack (Mangrove Red Snapper) and Fingermark Bream (John's Snapper). This makes sense because these species of fish like to live near the coast where industrial and shipping activities are high, and they are predators that feed on other fish and crustaceans.

Please read the paper at:

Mercury levels of marine fish commonly consumed in Peninsular Malaysia
Environ Sci Pollut Res Int. 2015; 22(5): 3672–3686.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4334092/

There's this paper and an Indian paper also I think. 

Read both before when researching on fish for my kids. 

↡ Advertisement