HongKong Protest (riot)!

New_Atlantis

Both your writing and comprehesion skills suck. And yes that is in plural.

Here's why:

In the above, clearly I put the law enforcement in the context of the general public safety. No reference to any rule or regulations that can cause misunderstanding invovling individual pratices of faith or tradition is inferred.

Yet, you conveniently include this aspect without clearly explaining what you meant  by "already so" nor cited any example of law had been broken by activities of "mosque on Friday, Chinese or Indian temple on their respective festivals and churches during X'mas".

so I further probe you:

To which you brush my reply off saying "What's there to be careful?" and then using illegal parking as a comparison to the potential health risk post illegal street hawker.

Don't you have a sense of perspectives before making such comparison ?

How is using parking problem around places of worship or illegal parkings during festives season be used as a counter argument against an activity that post basic health risk to everyone else on a daily basis ?

You fail to eloborate on that nor did you expressively question the violence used in the latest HK saga. That lead me the the next plausible reason is you SUPPORT such act simply because it is an act of defiance against the authority...using "illegal parking" as a lame example.

Correct me if I had read beyond those few lines you had in your response...

The more you write, the more you are assuming and putting up a straw man argument.

Let's go back to the beginning where you stated:

This is where one has be clear on the rule of Law - Does enforcing a known law during an important festive season should be any different from any other day ? 

If it is, then HK (or Singapore) will end up like any "Truly Asia" entity - where laws can be bend, broken and sold without punishment.

Can you show me where in this statement you implied that the "known law" being enforced should be done with discretion and with general public safety in mind?

And while you didn't refer to laws that might cause misunderstanding with the various races and faiths in Singapore, the fact still remains that it is a "known law" where the authorities in Singapore practice discretion and turn a blind eye to during festive seasons. This falls EXACTLY within the scenario of your post if we don't consider what you think you wrote but did not write.

There's no point for me to address the rest of your strawman until you properly address this.

↡ Advertisement

It is a matter of face.

Same like Taiwan.

This is a good article on Hong Kong Hawker

Closing time How Hong Kongâs hawkers face a struggle to survive

http://multimedia.scmp.com/hawkers/

Unlike Spore, HKG Hawkers don't have Hawker Centers that still offer affordable cooked food under the cleanliness radar by Govt.

They will have to rent food court stalls at exorbitant rates.

We see the wave of Supermarkets killing the provision shop in the 80s, we will see big corporations killing all other smaller business, as they have to start swallowing it when big ideas runs dry.

Sgp is starting to face these problems - Tiong Bahru landscape is changing. All to cater to Foreign Talents working here who have fatter wallets.

Some say hey got many youngsters able bodied in the riot - cannot be those selling hawker food? Hahaha got go HKG before or not?

I find during festive season, our sg police are actually on higher alert, rather than close one eye. More trouble makers.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 3

HK's problems are many and it did not take the start of China's rule to lessen.

If you consider the current situation, personally it boils down to LAND.

The government, if unable to create more land must either lease back land sold to private landowners or implement a law that allows the land sold be returned to the State after XX years.

This will ease housing woes and cause the prices of land to fall to earthly figures instead of starstruck ones. And free the ppl from staying in cages or half-a-shoebox units. And allow businesses to breathe with manageable rentals.

But, easier said than done. Because the rich are richest now over there and they usually have strings attached to many important ppl who can't be bothered as long as they themselves are well housed and well fed.

So, we can at least be thankful for now because we have hotter centre... Oops I mean hawker centres. If these were to disappear over time, blame the younger generation who dun want to be a hawker and not because of a changing landscape.

It's very nice to drive about these few days. Traffic very smooth like butter on my usual expressways route. Obvious to me are the many missing bikes, trucks and buses that ply the roads. Mixed feelings. Shiok to drive cos no jam and no bikers splitting here there and squeezing every drop of space on the road. Abit strange feeling that how come whole place so quiet and... empty. Sorry for this OT section.

Dun riot riot until become like Egypt. It's a chaotic country now. Dun stir stir and get worse sxxx than b4. They very garang overthrow rule and order and got disorder. Kinda they asked for it and slapped themselves blue in the face. Worse than b4.

HK is a survivor though. They have their ways to survive and foreigners wanting to stir stir either for entertainment or ulterior motives won't succeed. They are a hardy lot and anyways China won't let it go sideways too long.

Just my thoughts. I will still go HK to shop but avoid troubled spots.

Enjoy the spacious roads for now. Next week probably back to jams and kayas..

• Praise 8

Just be very glad that we are still separated by a 4hr flight to the nearest china territory. 

The 21st century is where the dragon awakens. Smaller territories like taiwan, HK can only be like the parasite fish that sucks off the whale shark.

• Praise 1

HK's problems are many and it did not take the start of China's rule to lessen.

If you consider the current situation, personally it boils down to LAND.

The government, if unable to create more land must either lease back land sold to private landowners or implement a law that allows the land sold be returned to the State after XX years.

This will ease housing woes and cause the prices of land to fall to earthly figures instead of starstruck ones. And free the ppl from staying in cages or half-a-shoebox units. And allow businesses to breathe with manageable rentals.

But, easier said than done. Because the rich are richest now over there and they usually have strings attached to many important ppl who can't be bothered as long as they themselves are well housed and well fed.

So, we can at least be thankful for now because we have hotter centre... Oops I mean hawker centres. If these were to disappear over time, blame the younger generation who dun want to be a hawker and not because of a changing landscape.

It's very nice to drive about these few days. Traffic very smooth like butter on my usual expressways route. Obvious to me are the many missing bikes, trucks and buses that ply the roads. Mixed feelings. Shiok to drive cos no jam and no bikers splitting here there and squeezing every drop of space on the road. Abit strange feeling that how come whole place so quiet and... empty. Sorry for this OT section.

Dun riot riot until become like Egypt. It's a chaotic country now. Dun stir stir and get worse sxxx than b4. They very garang overthrow rule and order and got disorder. Kinda they asked for it and slapped themselves blue in the face. Worse than b4.

HK is a survivor though. They have their ways to survive and foreigners wanting to stir stir either for entertainment or ulterior motives won't succeed. They are a hardy lot and anyways China won't let it go sideways too long.

Just my thoughts. I will still go HK to shop but avoid troubled spots.

Enjoy the spacious roads for now. Next week probably back to jams and kayas..

• Praise 1

Tomorrow back to usual traffic .... :a-m1524:

85% of companies open for business tomorrow ... :dizzy:

got good got bad lah

today traffic super smooth

but bah chor mee not open [:(]

• Praise 2

Complaint, observation..whatever. Regardless, a comparison has been made and your experience nicely explains it all - that enforcers do practice some discetion, especially on special occasions while at the same time not falling into that "Truly Asia" trap.  But how do we know that HK police fail in this aspect on the eve of CNY ? Was there any difference from past years of SOP ?  Or did they fail to anticipate that there other elements will be involved ?

Looking at how this riot is coined as  "Fishball Revolution" is already quite telling - a different Rule now applies - perhaps that is where ISA comes in handy.

HK authorities had attempted manage this problem for years and having a run-in with the hawkers ain't news, be it before or post 1997.  In fact, I shared this fact with Davidtch earlier:

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2696156-hongkong-protest-riot/page-60?do=findComment&comment=5724007

The only glaring failure on the HK police is not anticipating this year routine operation to be used by radicals in HK.  Just a few hours ago, one activist from Occupy Central protest was arrested at the airport as he was about to depart to Taiwan..

As you can see, a different set of rules and police "discretion" is now at play and this has nothing to do with illegal street hawking.

This will be an interesting year for HK and no one's gonna Monkey around.

From what you wrote, i am not sure whether you know that these are temporary hawker.  These hawker will do business around CNY.  Yesterday was the last day these ppl in business.

If you had read my previous link related to an article from NOW TV, govt had close a blind eye on this practise for years.  Govt tries to take action last year & fail.

Enforcer did the same thing again this year & give opportunity to certain groups.

Mind you, HK govt did not take any action on CNY day 2 & 3 hor.

Lastly, there are video posted online which says that activist tries to defuse the situation between protester and police.

• Praise 2

For that matter, even this model is despised by Hong Kees, they tend to look at Singapore as a dictatorship with no liberty. 

after the amos case, they say they rather have the right to protest in the street (save the riot) than no freedom of speech. 

HK ppl already very bua song with their gov. Any small issue will easily trigger their ppl to strike.

Strike is ok but shouldnt turn violent.

Strike too much also not ok

Ppl want to run business, ppl want to work, police job not only jaga strikes and strike somemore will cause economy slowdown

Strike too much also not ok

Ppl want to run business, ppl want to work, police job not only jaga strikes and strike somemore will cause economy slowdown

HK they are too used to strike. If dun allow them to strike then will turn riot liao. hahaha

• Praise 1

Rough translation:

With people losing hope, the government's incompetency, hardship faced by the people, the rigid stance of the people in power, the crazy way the police have been "enforcing law" and of course, with the participation of some radical groups, the Mongkok Fishball Riot (it is far from a revolution; Hongkongers aren't that capable) is only the second time, and won't be the last.

• Praise 3

The more you write, the more you are assuming and putting up a straw man argument.

Let's go back to the beginning where you stated:

This is where one has be clear on the rule of Law - Does enforcing a known law during an important festive season should be any different from any other day ? 

If it is, then HK (or Singapore) will end up like any "Truly Asia" entity - where laws can be bend, broken and sold without punishment.

Can you show me where in this statement you implied that the "known law" being enforced should be done with discretion and with general public safety in mind?

And while you didn't refer to laws that might cause misunderstanding with the various races and faiths in Singapore, the fact still remains that it is a "known law" where the authorities in Singapore practice discretion and turn a blind eye to during festive seasons. This falls EXACTLY within the scenario of your post if we don't consider what you think you wrote but did not write.

There's no point for me to address the rest of your strawman until you properly address this.

Simple. Give you 2 obvious "known laws" when zero-descretion is allowed when enforcing them.

- Thaipusam no-live music rule at public places - Until recently, rule was strictly enforced during this religious festival.

- Banning of firecrackers during CNY - still in force and guidelines clearly layout.

In both cases the activities are considered as illegal whether or not  the acts are done during or outside of festive seasons. Now if you match these 2 examples with what I stated within the context of HK police action against illegal hawkers, my comment precisely address the same concern - that public safety is paramount.

Coming back, let's revisit your (comparison with) illegal-parking around places of worship  - Does such act in anyway post a direct threat to public safety  vs the potential health risk when consuming meals from unlicensed street food stalls ?

I posted this same question to you earlier -

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2696156-hongkong-protest-riot/page-63?do=findComment&comment=5724308

So tell me, am I building a strawman arugment here ?

↡ Advertisement