HongKong Protest (riot)!

New_Atlantis

Why argue so much. This year so jia lat still want to talk about other country. Do our own work first lah.

I guess not everyone see it this way considering this Thread is already over 1 years old and going strong with over 1,300 posts. 

Simply confining one's exposure to the happenings around us or having that old mentality of "not my business coz's its someone else" will not do us any good. [flowerface]

• Praise 1

The commanders in such incidents should always bear full responsibility for their actions. In both the Little India riot and this Mong Kok riot, there were glaring lapses in judgment made by the commanders, resulting in frontline personnel being ill-prepared to quell such violent situations.

The full COI report on the Little India riot showed that radio equipment being jammed, miscommunications and decisions by the commanders at various times resulted in the riot going on longer than it should have, although SOC actually dispersed the rioters quite quickly and efficiently once they got there, which took almost forever. In particular, this DAC Lu stands out as being particularly timid and inept. 

There were similarities in this HK riot, and lots of frontline officers have been angrily questioning decisions made by the commanders. For instance, while greatly outnumbered, they were told to simply hold police lines and neither attack nor retreat, and armed with nothing more than batons and short shields, they were sitting ducks for the bricks and other things thrown at them. They were also not allowed to use tear gas or other weapons even though the situation called for it, possibly due to intense criticism after the use of tear gas during the Occupy Central protests. Some even went as far as to insinuate that the high-ranking officials wanted to protect their jobs and avoid trouble, thus refusing to issue the green light to use tear gas.

Finally, the Special Tactical Squad (the elite anti-riot team comprising of senior Police Tactical Unit officers and instructors as well as those from other elite units) was activated and arrived only in the morning, nearly 7 or 8 hours after the riot started. Though they managed to quell the riot, they initially turned up poorly equipped, having had to borrow equipment like shields from other police vehicles. Their excuse was that it would have taken too long to travel back to the Police Tactical Unit base at Fanling to gear up (2 hours). All these factors were reasons why the riot lasted throughout the night into the early hours, and despite all their training and previous experience with (less violent) protests, the police had serious trouble containing the situation.

Lazy to dig up every link and reference [laugh] , but all above info was found on HK Yahoo news, Oriental Daily, Apple Daily and other such news sites.

I guess not everyone see it this way considering this Thread is already over 1 years old and going strong with over 1,300 posts. 

Simply confining one's exposure to the happenings around us or having that old mentality of "not my business coz's its someone else" will not do us any good. [flowerface]

Strongly agree. Learning from past incidents both at home and elsewhere can do a lot of good in preventing such things from happening again or responding to them if they do.

The SPF should take this HK riot as a case study along with the past Little India riot as examples of what mistakes to avoid during a major civil disturbance or riot. But whether they actually do or not is another matter  [lipsrsealed]

Edited by Bicolor
  • Praise 2

My friend just complained, why always riot when he wants to go to the country for a holiday! First Thailand red and yellow. Now Hong Kong student riot.

Anyone as sway as my friend?

Please let us know where your friend plan

to go this year. We will plan to go other place.

Thanks very much.

:D

• Praise 4

My friend just complained, why always riot when he wants to go to the country for a holiday! First Thailand red and yellow. Now Hong Kong student riot.

Anyone as sway as my friend?

Ask ur friend to go little india for staycation. See if he is right lol Edited by Thaiyotakamli

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYtMOZRB1pY

sibei hiong.

not a single keyboard was used during the riot.

@ around 12:15 mark. The camera man videoed a group with red-liquid and tissue...but left once they know they have been videoed. Were they trying to the red-liquid to fake blood and accuse police for hurting them unnecessary and hope the rest will start to attack police even more? 

The useless fellow told the committee that he was scared as the rioters were throwing stones at him and he didn't know how they managed to identify him as he was not in uniform.

Then someone had a photo of him in plainclothes but surrounded by 3-5 officers in uniform.... 

Truly an idiot.

scholar or farmer?

if he can explain based on SOP that he should not exceed when he operate, he is not guilty of stupidity or negligence.

but that does not mean what he did cannot be faulted by the higher ups if they want to play him. what to do... must follow law.

@ around 12:15 mark. The camera man videoed a group with red-liquid and tissue...but left once they know they have been videoed. Were they trying to the red-liquid to fake blood and accuse police for hurting them unnecessary and hope the rest will start to attack police even more?

more Tok kong is the brick hit e reporter head

the point of post it not to ignore. But why argue over something when we have something more pressing on shore here. do note, in case you are wondering, I am not with the rioter.

The latest hk riot proved that Singapore 's police handled the little India riot correctly. By adopting a non retaliatory approach we averted a full blown violent confrontation.

• Praise 1

The latest hk riot proved that Singapore 's police handled the little India riot correctly. By adopting a non retaliatory approach we averted a full blown violent confrontation.

But thats because rioter didn't attack the police

In HK, rioters attacked one of the policeman. Cant say the same and it seems like they are prepared to go riot as they wear masks to protect themselves from tear gas and equipped with stones and rod

• Praise 1

To the ballless guy who says I act manly, own up.

If u read COI report, u may not make this comment.
  • Praise 1

one was a group of alcohol-influenced people just hanging out in the area on their off day.

one was a well-organised group of people who had the benefit of planning and coordination, and probably spoiling for a clash with the authorities.

how to compare the scale of the confrontation?

To the ballless guy who says I act manly, own up.

If u read COI report, u may not make this comment.

Come we go throw durians at that fella  :a-fun:

• Praise 1

Looks like you know more about riot control than some of our former commissioners of police like Tee Tua Ba.

:a-good: :a-good: :a-good:

the point of post it not to ignore. But why argue over something when we have something more pressing on shore here. do note, in case you are wondering, I am not with the rioter.

hmmm...perhaps you are right. Let's discuss football then - a subject of your interest. But opps...have you come to the correct Thread ? [:p]

• Praise 1

Agree. The 1st time I watched that clip showing a HK officer brandished his revolver before firing warning shots into the air with his outnumbered team kenna wack with one KO on the ground , I thought "good move"...and almost instantly camera capture the crowd reacted with louder shouts of anger.   Good thing is he didn't lower his weapon and fire into the crowd...and instead hoisted his weapon.

That scene quickly brought me back to the Little India riot when many asked why no warning shots were fired...and COI found out there was more than a few good reasons why that small SPF units on the ground didn't do that.

Edited by Wishcumstrue
↡ Advertisement