HongKong Protest (riot)!

New_Atlantis

Supercharged

For those who are interested. The Treaty of Singapore is also an interesting part of our history. Would you think it was a peaceful treaty?

Can link to the treaty? I old man but got no idea such a treaty ever exist. Thanks.
↡ Advertisement

When looking at the Hong Kong issue. Do not stop at thinking it is just a treaty.

Both KMT and CCP has negotiated for the return of Hong Kong at least since the 1920's, or at least re-negotiate the terms of the many "unequal treaties" signed by the Qing government. It probably has got nothing to do with legality or ideology, just that no one can be easily persuaded to give up possession once it is in the pocket. 

Why then one may ask, did the British not return Hong Kong to ROC in the 1920's or the 1930's ? They also continue to maintain control of parts of Shanghai until they were kicked out by Japanese invaders.

I am not sure if KMT made any attempt to get back HK when it was in power until end of WW2.

What I do know is when CCP came to power it was already sending out strong signal to the British that they want to settle all the Treaties since 1842 that were forced upon the Qing gov after losing both Opium Wars.

One of the earliest signal came from then Chinese Premier Zhou Enlai himself when he send a message to British Lt. colonel stating China will not allow any attempt to make HK "self governing" like Singapore...using a term "a “very unfriendly act"...

In China's speak, that means the PRC will take measure, including force, had UK attempted to change status quote of HK as a colony to indepedence.. That was a few years before China tested her first nuclear bomb.

By the 1980s, Deng was already initiating talks with the PM Thatcher - UK simply has no choice.

Telegraph from British lieutenant-colonel Kenneth Cantlie relayed to British prime minister Harold MacMillan about his conversation with premier Zhou Enlai in early 1958:

10-message-01.jpg

I am not sure if KMT made any attempt to get back HK when it was in power until end of WW2.

What I do know is when CCP came to power it was already sending out strong signal to the British that they want to settle all the Treaties since 1842 that were forced upon the Qing gov after losing both Opium Wars.

One of the earliest signal came from then Chinese Premier Zhou Enlai himself when he send a message to British Lt. colonel stating China will not allow any attempt to make HK "self governing" like Singapore...using a term "a “very unfriendly act"...

In China's speak, that means the PRC will take measure, including force, had UK attempted to change status quote of HK as a colony to indepedence.. That was a few years before China tested her first nuclear bomb.

By the 1980s, Deng was already initiating talks with the PM Thatcher - UK simply has no choice.

Telegraph from British lieutenant-colonel Kenneth Cantlie relayed to British prime minister Harold MacMillan about his conversation with premier Zhou Enlai in early 1958:

10-message-01.jpg

all the treaty sign is 1 thing,

but the main reason hk is return to china is quite a simple fact,

china want back hk, and if uk dun return , china is more then capable of taking it back by force, and uk know it themselves very well.

look at the kuril island,  till this day japan have not been able to take back, no amount of talking, treaty, history will help

look at crimea.

and if let say thing take another turn, now china is still the weak man of the east , like qing.

even if the treaty is up, will uk return any lands?? or even take more lands?????

Don't base on what if. There is no what if, only current data.

Base on current data. U.K. Propose to return.

Based on Historical data:

"What I wanted was a continuation of British administration...

....But when this proved impossible, I saw the opportunity to preserve most of what was unique to Hong Kong through applying Mr Deng's [one country, two systems] idea to our circumstances."  - Magaret Thatcher ,2007

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1554095/My-regrets-over-Hong-Kong-by-Lady-Thatcher.html

As you can see, even the Iron Lady wasn't a match against Deng's pressure.

8cfa6248-f8be-4ccd-81a9-788ee3769e35.jpg

Turbocharged

Based on Historical data:

"What I wanted was a continuation of British administration..."

....But when this proved impossible, I saw the opportunity to preserve most of what was unique to Hong Kong through applying Mr Deng's [one country, two systems] idea to our circumstances." - Magaret Thatcher ,2007

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1554095/My-regrets-over-Hong-Kong-by-Lady-Thatcher.html

As you can see, even the Iron Lady wasn't a match against Deng's pressure.

8cfa6248-f8be-4ccd-81a9-788ee3769e35.jpg

Putting all the article together.

China don't want to extend new territory lease to uk.

It can't be Hong Kong since the treaty then was the land totally belong to uk.

U.K. See that no new territory then they can't Develope Hong Kong.

Hence can't Develope no profit. No profit keep for what. So decide to throw back to Hong Kong as a diplomatic gift at the same time removing a potential burden.

Given the information, it's really a tight slap to the protestor, simply because if they are still under uk. They still do not have any freedom to vote. Much less talk about democratic

Turbocharged

These people are just funny or trying to be one. How on earth could California be a country?

Those who vote for it are foreigners

Hypersonic

TV interview with missing Causeway Bay bookshop owner.

This one can make into a movie of incredible tales. So unbelievable that I have no comments :that-dood-is-up-to-something:

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

This one can make into a movie of incredible tales. So unbelievable that I have no comments :that-dood-is-up-to-something:

Have to wait till he return back to Hong Kong then move out of Hong Kong then we can know the true story...

Then again, what he is saying might already be true story.

Hypersonic

Have to wait till he return back to Hong Kong then move out of Hong Kong then we can know the true story...

Then again, what he is saying might already be true story.

If it's the truth, it's definitely out of this world. Maybe I'm too stupid to understand.

Turbocharged
(edited)

If it's the truth, it's definitely out of this world. Maybe I'm too stupid to understand.

If it is true, China need to prosecute him for entering China without passport or illegally.

Then again, he might had reach a deal with China to push his partner to die and he go scotch free

Edited by Joseph22

If it is true, China need to prosecute him for entering China without passport or illegally.

Then again, he might had reach a deal with China to push his partner to die and he go scotch free

It is officially announced 3 of the detained book sellers will be out on bail within day.

Don't understand why all these "if", assumptions and conspiratorial rumour mongers when fact is they are alive and well.

Even the UK media cannot deny that one of them, who holds UK passport, still prefer to work and live in HK before the "missing" saga turns into another international story-telling.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/29/missing-british-bookseller-appears-on-television

It is officially announced 3 of the detained book sellers will be out on bail within day.

Don't understand why all these "if", assumptions and conspiratorial rumour mongers when fact is they are alive and well.

Even the UK media cannot deny that one of them, who holds UK passport, still prefer to work and live in HK before the "missing" saga turns into another international story-telling.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/29/missing-british-bookseller-appears-on-television

How do these ppl get into HK without passport?

Putting all the article together.

China don't want to extend new territory lease to uk.

It can't be Hong Kong since the treaty then was the land totally belong to uk.

U.K. See that no new territory then they can't Develope Hong Kong.

Hence can't Develope no profit. No profit keep for what. So decide to throw back to Hong Kong as a diplomatic gift at the same time removing a potential burden.

Given the information, it's really a tight slap to the protestor, simply because if they are still under uk. They still do not have any freedom to vote. Much less talk about democratic

Yes, one need to read HK issue in a much wider context of international power play with a timeline stretching as far back as in the last 300~400 years when colonisation began.

These events had shaped our world so much then even today, many only consume news feed by western media and are pretty much blinded by narrow narrative of one-sided stories.

Going back to HK affairs, it isn't hard to understand why forces are constantly at work to stagnate the gradual change of World Order in the coming decades.

How do these ppl get into HK without passport?

That depends on who's side of story to take.

I am not going to speculate on this yet.

Turbocharged

Because it's a forum.. And if no conspiracy theory's very boring.
  • Praise 1

Because it's a forum.. And if no conspiracy theory's very boring.

Agree...which was why I said the same thing in another thread sometime ago. [laugh] 

Oh com'on, that's what a forum is for.

So let em fire away and let me be entertained !  [:p]

HK movie industry is in desperate need for some good stories to tell. Oh wait !....

..I guess those "incredible tales" has receive some dose of reality [:p]

'Missing' bookseller back in Hong Kong: Government (4 Mar)

HONG KONG: One of five "missing" Hong Kong booksellers who was detained on the mainland returned to the city Friday and met police, the government said, in a case that has provoked fears of increasing Chinese interference in the semi-autonomous region.

Lui Por, who has been missing since October, was among three of the booksellers who Hong Kong police said earlier this week would be released on bail.

"Police met with Lui Por, who returned to Hong Kong from the mainland, this morning," a brief government statement released late Friday said.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/missing-bookseller-back/2573136.html

↡ Advertisement