SingPost: Next Gen post office coming

Camrysfa

http://www.engineering.com/3DPrinting/3DPrintingArticles/ArticleID/8643/Singapore-Rolls-Out-Next-Gen-Post-Offices-Complete-with-3DP.aspx

SingPost is rolling out new generation post offices island-wide as part of its ongoing efforts to transform its post office network. To provide a more seamless retail experience to customers, SingPost began to integrate essential Sporting an immaculate and modern look, the spanking Suntec City Post Office is one of the new generation post offices featuring 24/7 auto-lobbies offering essential services.

Over the next few years, all post offices will undergo a major revamp and be remodeled into a vibrant lifestyle hub integrated with a 24/7 auto-lobby to bring round-the-clock access to customers. Other customer-centric features will be introduced, such as user-friendly signages, packing desks where customers can pack and prepare their packages for mailing and service ambassadors on hand during counter operating hours to assist customers with their needs.

Dr Wolfgang Baier, SingPost’s Group Chief Executive Officer said: “Our new-generation customers are digitally-inclined, buying online and on-the-move, and they expect a post office experience that is digitally integrated.

To meet their changing lifestyle, we are basically remodeling our post offices, and transforming them into modern, efficient hubsto meet their e-commerce and digital needs. This includes 24/7 self-service lobbies with POPStation and ezy2ship facilities for them to post, collect or return parcels.”

Dr Baier added: “Customers can look to us also for digital solutions such as tracking parcels, calculating postage or locating a post office through mobile. This integrated experience will also apply to other touch points such as SAM (Self-service Automated Machines) where they can access multiple platforms including smartphones, tablets, desktop and our physical kiosks.”

SingPost pilots Innovation Corner with 3D Printing Service

In its push for innovation, SingPost is piloting an Innovation Corner in Suntec City Post Office. Innovation Corner provides a collaborative platform for starts-ups and young entrepreneurs to showcase new business ideas that enhance and complement the post office experience.

In collaboration with 3D Matters, SingPost is piloting 3D printing service at Suntec City Post Office, giving small businesses and end-consumers the convenience and option of printing cost-effective prototypes and customised gifts such as such as architectural models, accessories, figurines, toys, etc.

Mr Elvin Too, SingPost’s Vice President for Post Office Products, Services & Network said: “We are innovating for the future. Our customer needs are ever changing. This Innovation Corner serves as a testbed for innovative new services that can be offered at post offices in the future, such as 3D Printing.

That way we can ensure the post office always offers services that are relevant to Singapore.”

↡ Advertisement

Talk so much for what ?

Can they fix their ninja postmen/women ?

yay

they should get their basics right first

how many people have had their letters end up in wrong mail box.

too many services could mean long waiting lines.

don't know how many years this revamp thing will take.

Hahaha, maybe this round is for parcel service. :D Nothing wrong to make more $$$

i mean increase above the increase lol

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 1

(edited)

err, the post office need a new name.

it does mail services

it does credit business

it sells small items like cameras, phone and what not

it now wants to offer 3d printing.

it does others things which I am not aware ....

it is no longer a post office, but I can't think of a suitable name, can you?

Edited by Camrysfa

singpost has to make money.

So they are doing everything to make money.

Being a real post office is the last thing they want to do.

• Praise 3

They are reinventing themselves, which is good. The postal price hikes should be related to their core which is postal services and not some chappalang initiiatives. Hope that they will learn from what happened to our train services and not skim on maintenance, etc

• Praise 3

They are reinventing themselves, which is good. The postal price hikes should be related to their core which is postal services and not some chappalang initiiatives. Hope that they will learn from what happened to our train services and not skim on maintenance, etc

The postal increase should be shunted to:

1) improving efficiency of pick up services, especially on rest days (pay the guys overtime, they will do it).

2) reducing Singpost parcel rates. We pay *ridiculously high* postage rates compared to even places like the US, despite supposedly lower labour costs and the absence of a minimum wage here.

3) improving the parcel delivery service. The most basic thing would be to dedicate manpower (that can speak English properly!) to call prior to making delivery to ensure someone is at home to pick up the parcel. And the windows for delivery should be made narrower, e.g. 2 hours, rather than saying "anytime between 8am and 8pm, you're not home, your own problem, hahaha". This nonsense about "n" missed attempts, following which you go to the post office to pick up the parcel should be stopped. I would rather they call beforehand. If I fail to keep my end of the bargain, *then* I'll have to bite the bullet and go down to the post office - that's just one "miss", but it's a miss that was really my own fault after having given a promise, so I should have no cause for complaint.

If I see those things happening, I would say the rate increases have been put to good use. We don't need "IT services" at the bloody post office! I *have* IT services at home, work and elsewhere. Reading through the article, I saw dumb stuff like this:

These will include in-store tablets on which customers can browse philatelic products before purchasing at the counter.

I'm sorry, but WTF?! I will be able to use their super-advanced tablet technology to browse their "philatelic products" - basically stamps and delivery packages and crap - and *then* have to physically queue at the counter? [rolleyes] Why can't I just "browse" at home using this new fangled thingy called "teh Intarweb, duh" before coming?

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 3

singpost has to make money.

So they are doing everything to make money.

Being a real post office is the last thing they want to do.

sounds like smrt lol

The postal increase should be shunted to:

1) improving efficiency of pick up services, especially on rest days (pay the guys overtime, they will do it).

2) reducing Singpost parcel rates. We pay *ridiculously high* postage rates compared to even places like the US, despite supposedly lower labour costs and the absence of a minimum wage here.

3) improving the parcel delivery service. The most basic thing would be to dedicate manpower (that can speak English properly!) to call prior to making delivery to ensure someone is at home to pick up the parcel. And the windows for delivery should be made narrower, e.g. 2 hours, rather than saying "anytime between 8am and 8pm, you're not home, your own problem, hahaha". This nonsense about "n" missed attempts, following which you go to the post office to pick up the parcel should be stopped. I would rather they call beforehand. If I fail to keep my end of the bargain, *then* I'll have to bite the bullet and go down to the post office - that's just one "miss", but it's a miss that was really my own fault after having given a promise, so I should have no cause for complaint.

If I see those things happening, I would say the rate increases have been put to good use. We don't need "IT services" at the bloody post office! I *have* IT services at home, work and elsewhere. Reading through the article, I saw dumb stuff like this:

I'm sorry, but WTF?! I will be able to use their super-advanced tablet technology to browse their "philatelic products" - basically stamps and delivery packages and crap - and *then* have to physically queue at the counter? [rolleyes] Why can't I just "browse" at home using this new fangled thingy called "teh Intarweb, duh" before coming?

1) They out-source the pick up/delivey in some areas due to lack of HR issues.

HR issues, long application period, high turnover (due to salary).

2) High postal cost mainly due to the office rental or the potential $ they supposed to earn.

Reduce the number of post office by 50% will be able to reduce the postal cost.

Reduce the other services such as paying bills will enable the reduction of post offices.

They should stick to the core business than anything under the roof.

3) What you expect from low-salary workers as they already dont feel motivated for the job.