Singapore Second Most Internet Addicted In The World

Camrysfa

It’s Official: Singapore Second Most Internet Addicted In The World

http://vulcanpost.com/42511/singaporeans-most-addicted-internet/

Singapore and India have finally found one thing in common. Over half of the citizens in both the countries can’t spend half a day, or 12 hours, without the internet.

The survey was done by Tata Communications, the mobile and internet service-providing arm of the biggest Indian conglomerate, Tata Industries.

According to the study, Indians are slightly ahead with 54% Indians becoming net-addicted, beating Singapore’s 52% with a thin margin.

Tata Communications, which owns both Tata Docomo and Tata Indicom, also found out that 43% Singaporeans spend at least 6 hours a day surfing the web.

India beats this number also at a margin with 46% people spending 6 hours a day surfing internet. According to the survey, If internet is down, the average time they can wait for the service to resume is 7.3 hours.

They seem more resilient compared to 25% of Americans who can not survive for 5 hours without the internet.

The survey also looks at the value of an internet connection to Singaporeas.

While 27% Singaporeans would give up TV, and 20% would give up chocolates in favour of internet, a whopping 38% Singaporeans would give up alcohol to have an internet connection. The last one is certainly a relief.

82% of Singaporeans also believes that the best feature of internet is to connect people globally while just 5% believe it gives a democratic channel for freedom of speech

However, people are not as internet educated as you might expect. 62% Singaporeans think internet has unlimited capacity (and the ISPs are not giving them enough bandwidth) while 69% think world wide web and internet are the same thing. Both are popular mistakes. These aren’t the only misconceptions, as survey shows that 2 out of every 3 French don’t know internet ‘resides’ in the data centres.

The implications of this study is worrying. When a part of technology, which doesn’t always add value, should not become this integrated into any life. In fact, this addiction has given us a new word, FOMO or “Fear Of Missing Out”. Believe it or not, 80% or every 4 out of 5 internet-using Indians are suffering from this.

In another survey, Tata Communications also find out that, 64% of respondents admit to ‘Fear of Missing Out’ (FOMO), with 80% of Asian respondents displaying negative emotions when not connected to the Internet.

Where is this trend taking us? With smartphones, smartwatches, computers, laptops, tablets, phablets, digitally connected doorbells to toaster ovens (it could happen soon), will we soon justify the weird sci-fi movies where everything is connected and human are implanted with chips to be organically connected? Will the whole human race be connected and controlled by some network of megacomputers?

When you think about it, we’re not so far away.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

For us consumers just need to have good stable connection to surf internet can already. What for need to know what is the difference between world wide web and internet, whether we know that there is no unlimited in internet capacity or what data centres etc. .....

All the monies got suck dry.

Internet thus becomes a cheap source of entertainment for the peasants that does not qualified for the 600,000 peanuts status

Edited by Staff69
  • Praise 2

It's not my fault. Blame MCF -_-

Most addicted: MCF :D

And that's why we are all here.. chit chatting and addicted to MCF :D

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

Most addicted: MCF :D

And that's why we are all here.. chit chatting and addicted to MCF :D

This place is my Straits Times mah. All the news I want to read can be found here :D

• Praise 1

+1. I do not watch TV any more. The TV set can not run away if I am not watching it, so I do not watch it. [:p]

That's why the survey is likely to be quite accurate.

People are on their phones and comp more often.

Internet has become internal net.

Twincharged

Nowadays can get better shows online as well. Actually I noticed quite alot of people can live without their TVs at home anymore.

Edited by Nzy

Nowadays can get better shows online as well. Actually I noticed quite alot of people can live without their TVs at home anymore.

those were the dayssss....

post-114176-0-02251300-1412596101.jpg

• Praise 1

I thought Koreans or Hkgers are as addicted than Sgeans?

India people are spending much time due slow internet speed. Sgeans also due to more breakdown...

This obviously is a piece of reporting that is laced with inaccuracies and falsehood since we are not named as No. 1. MFA must rebut robustly and put the facts right, which starts from the obvious and fundamental truth that we are first in everything.

This obviously is a piece of reporting that is laced with inaccuracies and falsehood since we are not named as No. 1. MFA must rebut robustly and put the facts right, which starts from the obvious and fundamental truth that we are first in everything.

India people are spending much time due slow internet speed. Sgeans also due to more breakdown...

Singapore should be quite on top, as our pc ownership rate is high.

So too for HK and SK.

But India?

Such a vast country

Some parts don't even have proper toilets.

There are programmes to enable the poor have some basic pc.

So how does the survey rate them top or on par with SG?

So how does the survey rate them top Amazon n par with SG?

By having Tata do the survey. If you want the survey to say that monkeys in the Amazon are even more addicted to the internet, also possible.

Singapore # 1 period.

TV is irrlevant. Even if have blockbuster......consperm got some parts censored for 1 part or another,

then commercials, whole day call me buy condo....eat eat buy condo , eat eat buy condo...wtf.

They have other ECA like attending strikes...

Internal, well said.

+1. I do not watch TV any more. The TV set can not run away if I am not watching it, so I do not watch it. [:p]

AGree

All the monies got suck dry.

Internet thus becomes a cheap source of entertainment for the peasants that does not qualified for the 600,000 peanuts status

Sad but true. :) :(

• Praise 5

Singapore should be quite on top, as our pc ownership rate is high.

So too for HK and SK.

But India?

Such a vast country

Some parts don't even have proper toilets.

There are programmes to enable the poor have some basic pc.

So how does the survey rate them top or on par with SG?

If they were to only focus on internet users and not compare to the total population, then I dare say those users are spending a lot of time waiting due to slow internet speed, whereas for Sporeans , we spend far better Quality time surfing internet with good speed.

I still think SK n HKG are among the top addicts as they have a lot of local content. We aren't very loyal to local content at all.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1