How to scrap/deregister car?

Fcar

Hi,

we have recently bought a new car from authorized car dealer, the car dealer actually requested for our original NRIC to keep for a few days to use it for the old car scrapping process. Is it a common practice?

He probably needs your NRIC to go to LTA to get the PIN to transfer and dereg your car.

So if you have the LTA PIN, then no need to pass the dealer the NRIC.

Or if you don't have the LTA PIN, and don't want to hand over your NRIC, then make a request to meet the dealer at LTA itself to do the transfer.

LTA is at Sin Ming.

↡ Advertisement

Depend on the car make/model/mileage, otherwise it would be really worth only $50 for the scrap metal, not even enough to cover the $60 for quotez.com fees.

If it is a popular conti like Merc or BMW, you may get only 1K to 2K, more if in very good condition. (I just scrapped mine last month)

To deregister it is very straight forward - Just go to Sin Ming LTA, bring your IC, fill in a DeReg form and that's it. About 20 minutes all in as queue for dereg is short. No need to pay anyone to do this.

Prior to that, go to Onemotoring.com.sg (SingPass login) and update your bank account number, so that all refunds can be credited directly to you IN CASH).

One more COE on the way!

[:)]

I heard from my friend that PARF is paid as credit in paper?

I heard from my friend that PARF is paid as credit in paper?

your friend still living in the past era where parf paper had to be sold to dealer at a discount of 3-5% .

For car dealer, transfer can be made on line, need no wait.

Done it and ask for a print out and cash on the table.

Transfer can only be made online using the LTA PIN. And provided that your loan is already fully paid for.

If not, the procedure when selling to dealer is as below.

1) Hand them the PIN or NRIC + car. Dealer will pay you full sum.

2) Dealer will go to bank to full settle your loan.

3) Dealer will transfer your car to themself.

4) Dealer will scrap/export your car and wait additional 2 weeks for LTA to pay the paper value.

Nope. Paid as cash straight into the bank account. Within 2 weeks of export or scrap certification.

Yes, paid as cash. But I think is upon de-registration. Many cars are stuck in EPZ for months before getting exported out of SG. Cannot be wait for the car to go out of SG then the owner get paid...

think there is more threads on scrapping cars [bigcry]

Yes. COE of 45% of all passengers cars in Singapore will be due within the next 3 years.

my papa's car deregistration date very tricky. car was registered on 21/2/05. So i suppose must be de-registered should be on or by 20/2/2015? its 2nd day of CNY. so obviously we want to drive until at least that day. I assume technically it can be driven until at least that date? ie, 2nd day of CNY? becasue not buying car anymore after this so want to squeeze dry this car usage until last day.

So I have two few noob qns hope those know can help

1) can the de-registration be done AFTER last day of 10yrs? assuming LTA open only on 23rd Feb.

2) After midnight of 20th Feb, technically road tax and insurance expired. can park in carpark until a scrapyard opens after CNY and drive there or worst case tow there?

my two questions are based on my own summary after reading the info online.that there are two parts to de-registering a 10yr car, (1) go LTA sin ming to deregister, (2) find a scrapyard to destroy the car. tio bo?

my papa's car deregistration date very tricky. car was registered on 21/2/05. So i suppose must be de-registered should be on or by 20/2/2015? its 2nd day of CNY. so obviously we want to drive until at least that day. I assume technically it can be driven until at least that date? ie, 2nd day of CNY? becasue not buying car anymore after this so want to squeeze dry this car usage until last day.

1) can the de-registration be done AFTER last day of 10yrs? assuming LTA open only on 23rd Feb.

No. And if you do it on the last day, you want dealer to clear everything for you with no spare time? I advise you not to.

2) After midnight of 20th Feb, technically road tax and insurance expired. can park in carpark until a scrapyard opens after CNY and drive there or worst case tow there?

From 21 Feb, your car is not allowed on the road. It is an offence to drive without road tax and insurance but I think can tow.

my two questions are based on my own summary after reading the info online.that there are two parts to de-registering a 10yr car, (1) go LTA sin ming to deregister, (2) find a scrapyard to destroy the car. tio bo?

You better check scrapyard when open, suspect they won't open so soon after CNY

Calling LTA is your best bet

Edited by Galantspeedz

You probably have to scrap it on 20 Feb, which you can't cos it's CNY and don't think scrapyard is open.

damn tricky man... i called LTA and play technicalities with them... guy will consult supervisor and call me back. my argumant is that we sure are entitled to drive until 20/2 2359hrs and have paid to do so. The question now becomes we are now deprived because our date falls smack in between long weekend.

My proposal is to drive until 2359hrs 20/2. park in a carpark. once LTA opens on 23/2, I go Sin Ming to process de-registration. Once the first scrapyard opens, I will arrange tow-truck to tow there.

I found this info nugget that seems to say de-registration is a seperate prodcedure from scrap if I DIY.

Offenders who fail to submit disposal documents as proof that the vehicle has been scrapped or exported within a month of the de-registration may be prosecuted in Court, and face a maximum Court fine of $2,000 or 3 months' imprisonment. Similarly, first time offenders who are found keeping a de-registered vehicle may be prosecuted in Court, and face a maximum Court fine of $2,000 or 3 months' imprisonment.

• Praise 1

Most important is to deregister on time so that you will not lose the PARF benefits. Late by 1 minute all PARF gone!

Play safe and dereg before the CNY. The scraping/exporting can come later.

Most important is to deregister on time so that you will not lose the PARF benefits. Late by 1 minute all PARF gone!

Play safe and dereg before the CNY. The scraping/exporting can come later.

Yes agreed.

If lose the PARF will lugi more.

If really need a car during CNY, go arrange a rental car. But I believe need to arrange now if not all will rent out soon......or is it too late already..

LTA's supervisor call back liao... she say no way to delay de-register later, even by one more day. no avenue to appeal on this. the appeal process kicks in only when the PAFF kana makan then u appeal to get it back. rule is got early no late one...

its bad timing i guess... thanks for the inputs guys...

• Praise 1

LTA's supervisor call back liao... she say no way to delay de-register later, even by one more day. no avenue to appeal on this. the appeal process kicks in only when the PAFF kana makan then u appeal to get it back. rule is got early no late one...

its bad timing i guess... thanks for the inputs guys...

mayb scrap earlier...take the extra road tax and coe rebate and use it to rent a car? [nod]

↡ Advertisement