2008 BMW 320 vs Merc C180

Hondaes8

If you have driven on Malaysia B road, the difference will be more apparent.

Drove home this morning at 01:35 hrs from Hat Yai Songkla in 9.5 hours return driving trip, at 09:00 hrs checked radiator and oil stick with no less markings, I'll sent to mechanic to check my undercarriage next morning.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Drove home this morning at 01:35 hrs from Hat Yai Songkla in 9.5 hours return driving trip, at 09:00 hrs checked radiator and oil stick with no less markings, I'll sent to mechanic to check my undercarriage next morning.

Don't understand. U suspect both radiator & engine oil leaks?

• Praise 1

Don't understand. U suspect both radiator & engine oil leaks?

Yes, Madame !

Beside periodically checking oil and water hosts hardness, Radiator water level and Engine oil level is my basic checking in all cars, there was once with my E260 driving back from KL, luckily to read the speedometer constantly and suddenly found engine temperature hits red marks with great shocks, pulled over to find my radiator leaking water due to a crack line below.

• Praise 2

My previous E39 had cracked screw on top of expansion tank. Temperature did not increase but i could hear hissing sound after 1 hour drive.

Open bonnet & water shoots up like geyser.

• Praise 1

Yes, Madame !

Beside periodically checking oil and water hosts hardness, Radiator water level and Engine oil level is my basic checking in all cars, there was once with my E260 driving back from KL, luckily to read the speedometer constantly and suddenly found engine temperature hits red marks with great shocks, pulled over to find my radiator leaking water due to a crack line below.

Your Beemer has OBC right? I get my prompts from the screen eg. Requires EO top up, change in tyre pressure, even when 1 bulb fused above rear number plate.

Btw, I always have a 1 liter bottle of EO standby in the beemer when I drive up north.

My previous E39 had cracked screw on top of expansion tank. Temperature did not increase but i could hear hissing sound after 1 hour drive.

Open bonnet & water shoots up like geyser.

In long distance driving trip, advisable to takes at lease 20 minutes resting breaks for both driver and the car, due to constant engine high revolutions, any weak part might fail unexpectedly.

• Praise 1

Your Beemer has OBC right? I get my prompts from the screen eg. Requires EO top up, change in tyre pressure, even when 1 bulb fused above rear number plate.

Btw, I always have a 1 liter bottle of EO standby in the beemer when I drive up north.

I carried my OBD II devise with me as "standard driving prevention order" to reads everything's in my car orderly performance, it's really very easy, safe and peace of mind beside the warning lights lit up.

Only take me 20 minutes to plug in and scans for abnormal faulty displays, I never fails to bring along OBD II for all trips.

Edited by Fongmy
  • Praise 3

I carried my OBD II devise with me as "standard driving prevention order" to reads everything's in my car orderly performance, it's really very easy, safe and peace of mind beside the warning lights lit up.

Wow, u super cautious leh. I 'carry' the emergency contact numbers needed.

I find that my beemers EO top ups more frequent during or after road trips where there's plenty of uphill sprints; about 4K km after oil change as compared to 7K.

• Praise 1

Wow, u super cautious leh. I 'carry' the emergency contact numbers needed.

I find that my beemers EO top ups more frequent during or after road trips where there's plenty of uphill sprints; about 4K km after oil change as compared to 7K.

Could be your EO cap pressure locking that caused the EO evaporate unknowingly beside engine casket leaking which is obvious to see when car jack high up during inspections.

OBD II devise is getting cheaper in Ebay shopping, please keep one for precaution and also prevents greed mechanic to paint stories of untrue faults to cut throad.

• Praise 1

Could be your EO cap pressure locking that caused the EO evaporate unknowingly beside engine casket leaking which is obvious to see when car jack high up during inspections.

OBD II devise is getting cheaper in Ebay shopping, please keep one for precaution and also prevents greed mechanic to paint stories of untrue faults to cut throad.

No leak lah. Haven't u heard about beemers known to 'drink EO'? Mine not so bad already.

• Praise 1

No leak lah. Haven't u heard about beemers known to 'drink EO'? Mine not so bad already.

Replaced all 6 piston rings in June, already 8960 km clocked after my car servicing in August, weekly EO checking to look out for engine blocks drools, exhaust white smokes, oil stick marking and car pouch floor for leaking stains, I am happy to see EO still remains at same level without topping a single drop of EO.

Even all my previous MB's model did not consume extra EO, because I'll repair root cause immediately base on above findings.

Edited by Fongmy
  • Praise 3

It is not normal lah... if ur bimmer needs to top up ...and its not leak then engine got oil sludge liao... not rectifiable hor.... need to change out whole engine block..

• Praise 3

There is definitely leak some where.

My beemer consumed 1L EO every 3k km. I did a top overhaul at around 153k km. Now mileage about 190k km. EO level always remain full and only need to do oil change every 10k.

• Praise 4

Replaced all 6 piston rings in June, already 8960 km clocked after my car servicing in August, weekly EO checking to look out for engine blocks drools, exhaust white smokes, oil stick marking and car pouch floor for leaking stains, I am happy to see EO still remains at same level without topping a single drop of EO.

Even all my previous MB's model did not consume extra EO, because I'll repair root cause immediately base on above findings.

I got 2 friends driving Audi. This brand confirm eat EO. I actually find it appalling and amazed that a car can consume EO! Thought only consume fuel👎

• Praise 7

My beemer consumed 1L EO every 3k km. I did a top overhaul at around 153k km. Now mileage about 190k km. EO level always remain full and only need to do oil change every 10k.

My previous E39 lost 1L every 8 - 9k km. Juz nice to service or oil change.

• Praise 3

My previous E39 lost 1L every 8 - 9k km. Juz nice to service or oil change.

Appropriate timing of induction with precise combinations of Fuel, Air and Spark creating synchronise combustions sequential controls in all the 4~6~etc combustion chambers are the main combustion exploding energy sources that will transmitting powers from pistons strokes into cam shaft to revolve your multiple gears ratio drive train(gear box), in which all driver's amazingly calls "Pick-up or Pulling Power" in continuing power surges to matches the correct gear ratios.

With regard of above mentioned engine performance, Piston rings is one main item to look at in terms of power losses and EO evaporations.

Drive Safe & Cheers.

Bro Tohto & Bro Davidtch,

If there is no leaking from engine block caskets, EO Cap and Piston ring are the suspected culprit that caused EO losses.

Cheers.

Edited by Fongmy
  • Praise 3

It is not normal lah... if ur bimmer needs to top up ...and its not leak then engine got oil sludge liao... not rectifiable hor.... need to change out whole engine block..

My service advisor from PML reassured me that it is part n parcel feature in the normal usage of my beemers. The EO top- up only required during or after chiongning the MY highlands.

If I just do city driving or NSHW trip, there's no need to top-up EO until another 8k from last oil change. Thanks for the warning though.....shall keep it in mind when trouble shooting.

Edited by TameDriver
  • Praise 2

I got 2 friends driving Audi. This brand confirm eat EO. I actually find it appalling and amazed that a car can consume EO! Thought only consume fuel👎

Any car that consume engine lubricant or gear transmission fluid is abnormal, root causes varies from weakening components right up to improper usages or abusive handling of the vehicle.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1