2008 BMW 320 vs Merc C180

Hondaes8

Any car that consume engine lubricant or gear transmission fluid is abnormal, root causes varies from weakening components right up to improper usages or abusive handling of the vehicle.

That's what I thought as well but according to both friends, Audi SA told them that losing EO is characteristic of Audi cars??

Anyway Thks for the feedback n will let my friends know.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

That's what I thought as well but according to both friends, Audi SA told them that losing EO is characteristic of Audi cars??

Hi, Bro Spring,

Allow me to share with you an old experience with my friend older model Jaguar, he is my good army mate who bought a brand new Jaguar, after 2 weeks passed he found engine block leaking out EO, he sent back to AD numerous times for repairing but failed to rectify the root caused due to weak engine blocks gaskets, it couldn't withstands engine high heating up in our tropical wheather high heat temperature.

Finally, Jaguar AD custom made another type of material with new gaskets to trial rectification, this trail was successful and stopped the EO leakings problem once and for all [bounce2]

I wonder what causes Audi to consume engine lubricants [confused]

Edited by Fongmy

Appropriate timing of induction with precise combinations of Fuel, Air and Spark creating synchronise combustions sequential controls in all the 4~6~etc combustion chambers are the main combustion exploding energy sources that will transmitting powers from pistons strokes into cam shaft to revolve your multiple gears ratio drive train(gear box), in which all driver's amazingly calls "Pick-up or Pulling Power" in continuing power surges to matches the correct gear ratios.

With regard of above mentioned engine performance, Piston rings is one main item to look at in terms of power losses and EO evaporations.

Drive Safe & Cheers.

Bro Tohto & Bro Davidtch,

If there is no leaking from engine block caskets, EO Cap and Piston ring are the suspected culprit that caused EO losses.

Cheers.

EO cap was the 1st thing i mod. I bought an ///M EO cap

• Praise 2

actually the Audi owner's manual for the B8 2.0 tfsi engine states to expect engine oil loss of up to 0.5L/1000km (or something to that effect). Not sure of the model years affected, nor if VW/Skoda equivalents carry the same message. Also not sure if this extends to other engine sizes, but for sure it is taken to be normal for the 2.0L engine....

there's a long thread on this in the VAG forum. Some owners experience loss of more than that threshold 0.5L/1000km.

• Praise 2

EO cap was the 1st thing i mod. I bought an ///M EO cap

HI, Dave,

I would advise you to instruct your mechanic to conduct all cylinders compression check for piston fittings, if compression test gauge fails, most likely piston hole, piston or the ring is damage causing EO leaking into combustion chambers firings in burning out the precious EO.

EO Cap is the cheapest fault, above mentioned in red are more costly for an engine overhaul to perfection.

Edited by Fongmy

actually the Audi owner's manual for the B8 2.0 tfsi engine states to expect engine oil loss of up to 0.5L/1000km (or something to that effect). Not sure of the model years affected, nor if VW/Skoda equivalents carry the same message. Also not sure if this extends to other engine sizes, but for sure it is taken to be normal for the 2.0L engine....

there's a long thread on this in the VAG forum. Some owners experience loss of more than that threshold 0.5L/1000km.

Thank you for your feedback. Yes my friends I believe lost more than 0.5l per 1000km.

Still find it hard to accept cos Jap cars which I've owned n like bro Fong mentioned BMW doesn't

lose EO. So it certainly is strange to me.

• Praise 8

Based on my experience again .... my E90 320i do eat EO. My friend was given a kit that include EO when he collected the new car - 323i from PML.

So far, my C180K seems ok and does not eat EO.

• Praise 1

I really don't know why people worry that conti cars

eat oil, are not relaible and are expensive to maintain.

The prestige of thye badge makes up for it.

Afterall that's why many people buy it in the first place right?

:D

• Praise 2

That's true bro but maybe cos I never own conti before so never encounter this situation.

Also cos have to keep a bottle of EO in the boot to top up when necessary seems troublesome for me esp as my wife uses the car more than me and she's a noob at this.

The final reason is also I thought EO you can't just top up new one with the existing EO unlike petrol. This my layman knowledge only but agreed the prestige of the badge esp BMW, Benz etc makes it worth it I suppose :D

• Praise 4

HI, Dave,

I would advise you to instruct your mechanic to conduct all cylinders compression check for piston fittings, if compression test gauge fails, most likely piston hole, piston or the ring is damage causing EO leaking into combustion chambers firings in burning out the precious EO.

EO Cap is the cheapest fault, above mentioned in red are more costly for an engine overhaul to perfection.

Sadly, i no longer owned that car i missed.

Hi, Bro Spring,

Allow me to share with you an old experience with my friend older model Jaguar, he is my good army mate who bought a brand new Jaguar, after 2 weeks passed he found engine block leaking out EO, he sent back to AD numerous times for repairing but failed to rectify the root caused due to weak engine blocks gaskets, it couldn't withstands engine high heating up in our tropical wheather high heat temperature.

Finally, Jaguar AD custom made another type of material with new gaskets to trial rectification, this trail was successful and stopped the EO leakings problem once and for all [bounce2]

I wonder what causes Audi to consume engine lubricants [confused]

quite curious to hear a lot of Conti brands consume/leak EO, less happened to Japanese/Korean brands, Y?

don't underestimate eat oil, it's even wores than leaking oil,

burning oil to cause carbon accumulation in combustion chambers and fouling spark plugs, engine lost power,

quite curious to hear a lot of Conti brands consume/leak EO, less happened to Japanese/Korean brands, Y?

Whenever I'm free, very often I like to sit in the ws to observe how my buddy mechanic doing overhaul engines with different types of car brands and models, I found that engine's designs and part sizes variation are significantly obvious.

Seen many engine block and cylinder wall cracked with MIM, MIJ and MIK as well as continental brands Volvo, MB, BM and etc.

The main 3's unfounded reasons are fasteners broke up with broken off loose part hitting elsewhere causing impact to heavy damages, unlucky with lemon unit that fails frequently and vehicle maintenance abusing.

Continental models engine parts are larger then others even within the same own brand made of, in term of larger in sizes would have different effects such as.... Weight = Drag + FC + Stability and Bigger Surface Contact = Higher Combustion + Higher Friction + Higher Heat Absorbing but minus poor heats dispersing due to our hot tropical climate that causes "over heating".

I select lower heat temp thermostad for early thermodiffusion activating cooling fan(modified more blades/high speed) to improve radiator water cool system during car slow moving seriously lack of stronger air cool circulations.

Edited by Fongmy
  • Praise 2

That's why don't buy conti

Too bad [:(] I love using continental car in my 38+ years of driving adventures [:/][smallcry]

Sadly, i no longer owned that car i missed.

:o E39 toxid M5 poison ! [inlove] Ler Ai Mai ? :wub:

Edited by Fongmy
  • Praise 4

Too bad [:(] I love using continental car in my 38+ years of driving adventures [:/][smallcry]

:o E39 toxid M5 poison ! [inlove] Ler Ai Mai ? :wub:

Actually, i have always aiming to buy an IL6 BMW since i got to drive an E36 325 for 1 wk (during my teenage years).

I want E39 ///M5 but no $$$ to maintain it.

Edited by Davidtch

Actually, i have always aiming to buy an IL6 BMW since i got to drive an E36 325 for 1 wk (during my teenage years).

I want E39 ///M5 but no $$$ to maintain it.

The current rich owner is a BMW hard core enthusiast, I sat in and started the engine... :o .......my heart beating rate raised :wub: and my face flushed red [:/][jawdrop]

Based on my experience again .... my E90 320i do eat EO. My friend was given a kit that include EO when he collected the new car - 323i from PML.

So far, my C180K seems ok and does not eat EO.

My OC E90 325i ... nvr eat oil... into 9th year... clocking >170k mileage... no top-up of oil in btw... going strong....

↡ Advertisement