Top 20% of S'poreans consume 35kg of added sugar a year.

Camrysfa

Top 20 per cent consume 35 kg of added sugar a year.

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/scratch-win-contest-launched-get-sporeans-reduce-sugar-intake

SINGAPORE — The next time you buy a drink with less sugar at a Kopitiam or pick up bubble tea with reduced sugar level at Gong Cha, you could stand a chance to win prizes such as vouchers from electronics, shopping mall and supermarket brands.

The Health Promotion Board (HPB) announced today (Oct 11) that it is launching a Scratch & Win contest with the aim to reduce sugar intake among Singaporeans.

The contest, in partnership with coffee shops, food courts, hawker centres and food kiosk chains, will be held across nearly 800 outlets. HPB aims to have 1,000 participating outlets on board the contest by December.

Sweetened drinks have been identified as a source of empty calories, contributing 200 calories or about 10 per cent of the average daily caloric allowance, the HPB said.

Individually, Singaporeans currently consume, on average, 20 kg of added sugar per person per year,

with the top 20 per cent consuming approximately 35 kg of added sugar a year.

A major source of sugar is sweetened drinks - 60 per cent of Singaporeans consume two or more sweetened drinks a day

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Carbs and Sugar are comfort food. Esp simple carbs like white bread, white rice. No wonder cup cakes doing so well.

Actually there isnt a need to deliberately add sugar to most/all foods. They contain sugar inherently.
Milk powder has sugar, so does Milo.

As far as I go, at coffeeshop is Kopi Peng, siu siu tai. The unker/auntie will give me the wierd look. And I go [nod].

PS : iirc, was there a scene in MIB, .....when asked whats the worst thing on earth.........sugar.

Edited by Baal
  • Praise 3

Carbs and Sugar are comfort food. Esp simple carbs like white bread, white rice. No wonder cup cakes doing so well.

Actually there isnt a need to deliberately add sugar to most/all foods. They contain sugar inherently.

As far as I go, at coffeeshop is Kopi Peng, siu siu tai. The unker/auntie will give me the wierd look. And I go [nod].

PS : iirc, was there a scene in MIB, .....when asked whats the worst thing on earth.........sugar.

U shud say auntie kopi peng gao gaosiu siu dai better

Next time, you go order fruit juice...... and observe.... they add sugar to your water melon juice too. [laugh]

Next time, you go order fruit juice...... and observe.... they add sugar to your water melon juice too. [laugh]

haha. So far I seldom order fruit juice as they used lots of crushed ice.....

I also noticed, those fruit stalls, selling cut fruits, the fruits, be it papaya, water mel, rock mel, honey dew, all beri sweet. Wonder izit after cutting, they soak in sugar water in the fridge b4 displaying...

U shud say auntie kopi peng gao gaosiu siu dai better

Later, she hand me the pot, + glass of ice......& tell me , ....le kaki lai.....lol.

Diabetic used to be an old people conditions. Now teenage diabetics are on a rise.

Yes, thats what the child counsellor for weight control told me also at NHG, outram.

They also have a glass cabinet, showing all the foods / drinks & the respective amount of sugar contained ( in the form of heap full teaspoon(s) with sugar ) [sweatdrop]

Beer got sugar?

Naturaly i guess. Barley, malt ? Questions is, do they add xtra sugar?

Bitter beer is better just like true dark choc.

• Praise 1

got sugar or not, I am not too sure, but there's salt (or some preservative) for sure to prevent oxidation.

haha. So far I seldom order fruit juice as they used lots of crushed ice.....

I also noticed, those fruit stalls, selling cut fruits, the fruits, be it papaya, water mel, rock mel, honey dew, all beri sweet. Wonder izit after cutting, they soak in sugar water in the fridge b4 displaying...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1