Debt collectors at work

Duckduck

2 legal debt collectors jailed for harassing victim over alleged $7.48m debt

Duo part of five who used thuggish tactics to cause public disquiet and shame debtor

A district judge jailed two legal debt collectors whose "aggressive behaviour and insulting words in a residential area in the late hours of the evening" would have caused public disquiet when they harassed a victim at a Chancery Lane house over an alleged $7.48 million debt.

Nigel Teo, then 24, and Ng Kin Meng, then 30, had pleaded guilty to a single charge of being part of an unlawful assembly of five men, who harassed occupant Karl Liew at the three-storey semi-detached house on Sept 22, 2015, at about 10.30pm.

Mr Liew was allegedly indebted to one Mr Alan Zhou, who in turn hired registered debt collectors Double Ace Associates to recover the money.

Teo and Ng, together with Andra Chew, Francis Lee and Tan Kian Tong, all from the same firm, admitted that for some 20 minutes, their aim had been to harass the victim, an offence under the Protection from Harassment Act (POHA).

Teo and Ng also breached the Penal Code offence in being part of an assembly of five in the offending conduct.

The other three were also charged in relation to the case.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/2-legal-debt-collectors-jailed-over-harassment

Hire debt collectors for a $7.48m debt ? hmmm .....

↡ Advertisement

Duo part of five who used thuggish tactics to cause public disquiet and shame debtor

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/2-legal-debt-collectors-jailed-over-harassment

wah if can get back commission gao gao [sweatdrop]

this type of money may be cannot see light must use debt collectors.

The debt money must have been "cannot see light" kind.

Or else easily apply for bankruptcy proceeding against the victim. Auction the Chancery lane house smelly smelly can recover half of the amount.

I recently witness a 'Professional debt collector' around my neighbourhood.  They came with banners and make a racket to create attention. I wonder how is these different from the ah long? 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Victor68 said:

I recently witness a 'Professional debt collector' around my neighbourhood.  They came with banners and make a racket to create attention. I wonder how is these different from the ah long? 

The difference is they have licence.

Really to make the borrower malu.

1 hour ago, Victor68 said:

Does it work?

Does the borrower feel pai seh?

Owe money pay money.

If no owe money then these debt collectors wont exist lor

• Praise 1

At my old place one day...lift lobby got splattered red paint...O$P$ in 2 languages by bilingual ah long...😁

Next day onwards for at least 2 weeks, that unit had over 20 grown men and teenagers in the house...I was worried and had to pray that they won't flip table with the collectors at the lobby when I go home from school...😅

Yup, that's 80s in the notorious estate...

12 hours ago, Spurman said:

Does it work?

Does the borrower feel pai seh?

Owe money pay money.

If no owe money then these debt collectors wont exist lor

Making noise does affect neighbours who have nothing to do with their deal. If just making noise don't work, next what additional actions are required and how is this going to affect others not involved in this deal? Maybe small claim court is the way to go?

14 hours ago, Victor68 said:

totally different, 

ah long lend u money and charge u super high interest.

debt collector collect money that is legitly owned by their customer.

there are many many time when i am so fed up with late payment and all the babababa excuse till i threaten to send debt collector myself. 

↡ Advertisement