BBKs. For endurance and feel, not stopping distance?

Ake109

Something I always wanted to clarify.

My understanding of the _practical_ purpose of putting BBK is this.

1.) Unless your stock brakes are worn out or piss poor, BBKs do NOT improve stopping distance. If your stock brakes can cause the ABS to activate when you stomp hard, having stronger/better brakes would not change anything. Since your stock brakes already exceed the limits of the tyres. In fact, if the BBK brake bias is not set up properly, you could end up with worse stopping distance.

2.) What BBKs can do, is to improve pedal feel and for those who track or drive hard, improve heat soak and dissipation. e.g. 1st time stop, BBK and Stock is the same, 2nd time, also same, but after a few repeat hard brakes, the stock might overheat and become spongy and it is here that the BBK would outperform the stock brakes.

So is it correct to say that, unless you are tracking your car or driving and braking hard for extended period, BBKs do not improve your stopping distance?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

I'm no expert, but I think BBK is more for high speed, where it is hard to lock up the tyres at all. Doing an e-brake at 200km/h, there will be a big difference between BBK and stock brakes.

Of course BBK may improve brake fade performance for track use.

• Praise 2

What is more important is tyre. That's the only contact btw car & road.

dun forget the driver also, some drivers I met on the road always last min brake hard and I had seen a few kissing

the backside of others already.

• Praise 2

Something I always wanted to clarify.

My understanding of the _practical_ purpose of putting BBK is this.

1.) Unless your stock brakes are worn out or piss poor, BBKs do NOT improve stopping distance. If your stock brakes can cause the ABS to activate when you stomp hard, having stronger/better brakes would not change anything. Since your stock brakes already exceed the limits of the tyres. In fact, if the BBK brake bias is not set up properly, you could end up with worse stopping distance.

2.) What BBKs can do, is to improve pedal feel and for those who track or drive hard, improve heat soak and dissipation. e.g. 1st time stop, BBK and Stock is the same, 2nd time, also same, but after a few repeat hard brakes, the stock might overheat and become spongy and it is here that the BBK would outperform the stock brakes.

So is it correct to say that, unless you are tracking your car or driving and braking hard for extended period, BBKs do not improve your stopping distance?

BBK are bigger to provide bigger braking forces. How that bigger braking force affects drivability is another issue. If you aren't doing fast enough for your class, bigger brake kits aren't really necessary. Try changing brake hose, checking your brake pad, disc condition. Check your brake balance for your drum brakes, adjust when necessary. Replace shoes if needed.

Keep the money if you aren't racing.

I have seldom seen people who belong to the genuinely in need of BBK. But I do know a lot of guys here need BKK instead! LOL!!!

• Praise 5

I'm no expert, but I think BBK is more for high speed, where it is hard to lock up the tyres at all. Doing an e-brake at 200km/h, there will be a big difference between BBK and stock brakes.

Of course BBK may improve brake fade performance for track use.

halo.. cannot understand the logic behind your explanation..

can you please elaborate more ??

Edited by Contipro
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

halo.. cannot understand the logic behind your explanation..

can you please elaborate more ??

Look at the disc surface and the number of pistons.

Bigger and larger surface means more area to grip and heat dissipation.

• Praise 1

Got $$$, 2 pot to 10 pot BBK also can install for look and braking power.

My car stock brake was sufficient for me when sometimes i drive over 200kmh and it still working fine for me, i will save money of BBK for BBQ.

• Praise 1

BBK are bigger to provide bigger braking forces. How that bigger braking force affects drivability is another issue. If you aren't doing fast enough for your class, bigger brake kits aren't really necessary. Try changing brake hose, checking your brake pad, disc condition. Check your brake balance for your drum brakes, adjust when necessary. Replace shoes if needed.

Keep the money if you aren't racing.

I have seldom seen people who belong to the genuinely in need of BBK. But I do know a lot of guys here need BKK instead! LOL!!!

Thats actually not true. BBK that is design for your car make and model does not provide bigger braking force. Let me explain:

The kit that is design for your car should have the total piston surface area (adding the surface area of all your pots, be it 4 or 6) equal to that of your stock brake piston. Hence the brake force is technically equal, but more well distributed by the multiple pots (vs the stock single pot). The pros is braking response and efficiency.

If you fit a brake kit that is too large for your car, it will disrupt your brake bias (i.e too strong for the front, base on your stock brake pump distribution valve proportion). Your ABS will kick in to prevent lockup of the front wheels by giving less fluid to the front, which makes the larger brake kit pointless.

Also, brake kit does not ad in the fast cooling to reduce brake fade. Thats the job of mainly your brake disc and maybe a little contributed brake pads.

Note: Just my thought.

Edited by Alvincsj
  • Praise 4

(edited)

Thats actually not true. BBK that is design for your car make and model does not provide bigger braking force. Let me explain:

The kit that is design for your car should have the total piston surface area (adding the surface area of all your pots, be it 4 or 6) equal to that of your stock brake piston. Hence the brake force is technically equal, but more well distributed by the multiple pots (vs the stock single pot). The pros is braking response and efficiency.

If you fit a brake kit that is too large for your car, it will disrupt your brake bias (i.e too strong for the front, base on your stock brake pump distribution valve proportion). Your ABS will kick in to prevent lockup of the front wheels by giving less fluid to the front, which makes the larger brake kit pointless.

Also, brake kit does not ad in the fast cooling to reduce brake fade. Thats the job of mainly your brake disc and maybe a little contributed brake pads.

Note: Just my thought.

That's my point originally. I might have been unclear but when I said BBK, I meant the entire piston/caliper/pad and rotor combination. But to be precise, on your point on piston area, I think a well designed BBK might have overall, a bigger overall piston area, it is fine as long as the piston area distribution b/w front and rear is preserved.

-Unless the brake bias is preserved, your braking distance might actually increase with a BBK.

-The bigger rotors of a BBK help in brake endurance for repeated hard stops.

-Pedal feel might be better with a BBK.

-BBK typically weighs more, and you need wider rims typically to clear them, more weight from bigger rim. More drag due to possible bigger tyres to suit wider rim.

For the above reasons, especially the 1st, I decided not to slap on BBKs on my car long ago. Felt it was pointless as I don't track the car so no need for constant and repeated braking ability.

Edited by Ake109
  • Praise 1

That's my point originally. I might have been unclear but when I said BBK, I meant the entire piston/caliper/pad and rotor combination. But to be precise, on your point on piston area, I think a well designed BBK might have overall, a bigger overall piston area, it is fine as long as the piston area distribution b/w front and rear is preserved.

-Unless the brake bias is preserved, your braking distance might actually increase with a BBK.

-The bigger rotors of a BBK help in brake endurance for repeated hard stops.

-Pedal feel might be better with a BBK.

-BBK typically weighs more, and you need wider rims typically to clear them, more weight from bigger rim. More drag due to possible bigger tyres to suit wider rim.

For the above reasons, especially the 1st, I decided not to slap on BBKs on my car long ago. Felt it was pointless as I don't track the car so no need for constant and repeated braking ability.

Yup. If the brake bias is preserved, you can definitely up the size of the brakes as much as you want. However, lots of BBK does not release a model for the rear.

You are right also about the bigger rims (particularly the offset of the rims) in order to fit the BBK, but the calipers itself is much lighter than that of the stock brakes even if you compare a 6 pot vs stock. Personally weigh them before. About 20% to 30% lighter depends on whether its a mono-bloc or not. If you get the BBK that comes with 2 piece rotor, despite the larger caliper and rotor, the overall weight is still lighter than stock.

Note: Unless your stock is brembo (i.e. GTR, EVO etc), then maybe not much diff in terms of weight savings la.

Edited by Alvincsj

I like the feel and modulation my 6 pots give me. That allows me to threshold brake easier when I need to deploy the anchors.

But seriously the most practical reason for BBKs is cos the lians and cais will be impressed.

• Praise 4

But seriously the most practical reason for BBKs is cos the lians and cais will be impressed.

I will be impressed as this is probably one of the more expensive upgrades compared to rims, spoilers or neon lights!

• Praise 1

I like the feel and modulation my 6 pots give me. That allows me to threshold brake easier when I need to deploy the anchors.

Most cai will even recognize BBK meh?

• Praise 1

I am quite sure you will impress more than just the lians and the cais.. hahaha

↡ Advertisement