General Election 2015 - 11 Sep 2015

RadX

Hongkong benefited greatly from the influx of the entreprenurial businessmen from shanghai and all along the coast which fled there during the war.

Yes, HK has their entrepreneurs and Singapore has its from foreign MNCs

and in both cases, natural resources like oil and gold were not necessary.

These examples prove my point

and debunk your own point (USA Texas example)

that somehow having oil makes it easier or faster to reach first world status.

[cool]

↡ Advertisement

If you run through the figures for rest of the first world countries

it's from 0.1% to under 5%.

Try to remember if anyone else actually brought up real and hard figures,

besides stating a broad motherhood statement like "Singapore has limited/no resources"

and at the same time omitted saying "[Other] first world countries ALSO have limited resources too".

[cool]

I have no issues with your figures and facts.

What I am pointing out is that those First World countries that have natural resources do not need to rely on these since they have moved 'upstream' (industry/professional services eg banking, technology etc) to sustain their GDP, and yet if their GDP falters, they have natural resources to fall back on. But what about Singapore? What is there to sustain us when our GDP falters? There are no fishes and vegetables to export...cos we dont even have enough of these and have to rely on imports.

And you will know it is linked...economy falters, SGD falls, inflation rises, costs of goods increase. SGD too high, investors will look elsewhere for best value for their buck. It is really a fine balance to ensure the pace and momentum of the country is maintained.

Japan was the first to reach developed status in the Asia-Pacific in the 1970s,

this is 25-30 years ahead of Singapore.

Japan does not have resources like oil or gold;

in fact, the amount of flat lands in Japan quite limited flatland for habitation and agriculture.

[cool]

If I may borrow your logic; though in reverse, you posted above.

"So you are saying countries without resources are well on their way to become first world country just like Japan"?

When one has something to start with, with good governance and ideas and hardwork and resources, the chances of success is always that much better.

With nothing, one also can succeed with hardwork, grit, creativity, consistency and more hardwork.

When crisis come, the same applies.

[cool]

Japan is a true success story. But their long run of success has also come to an end.

They are a country of 150million people. 50 times the size of SG's 3 million citizens.

There is good mix of both rich and poor countries

that have huge populations in the billions

all the way to small ones with 25,000.

Size doesn't matter.

There is absolutely no evidence to suggest so.

It really boils down to the question of selecting the right industries

in which the country has both competitive and comparatives advantages as Goh Keng Swee put it.

If one selects the wrong industries, then even if Singapore has 10 or 20 million,

Singapore will still fail and need to import more immigrants.

It's really that simple.

[cool]

• Praise 1

something I observed, WP has been getting very slick in their PR campaign. Their responses and replies thru the media. Their FB posting ,,, etc

They sure hired a guru sia

• Praise 1

If you run through the figures for rest of the first world countries

it's from 0.1% to under 5%.

If you make 100 dollars per year in Singapore

of which 5 dollars per year (5%) is from selling fishes and vegetables,

do you think you can rely on (thottle back)

on this 5% to sustain your 100 dollars of income?

The other possibility is that you simply don't believe the figures I provided.

Well, if that's the case, maybe you can try to recall

did anyone else provide hard figures and facts

on the actual amount natural resources (mining/agriculture)

contribute to first world economies?

Try to remember if anyone else actually brought up real and hard figures,

besides stating a broad motherhood statement like "Singapore has limited/no resources"

and at the same time omitted saying "[Other] first world countries ALSO have limited resources too".

[cool]

Reasonable enough to look at the figures and facts.

But it's not the whole picture.

Sometimes it is not about PAP pissing people off.

The theory I keep hearing is that some percentage of the population already decided who they want to vote. The swing votes are most often the one that decide the winner. If there are enough people in the swing votes category think that they want oppo to be in parliament (not that they think highly of them), then you WILL have freak results.

I do not want freak results, I want PAP to continue to be government after 911.

You can have your 20 seats for WP, the question remained, in a situation when all seats are contested, how do you ensure that?

• Praise 2

He is the only leader with 90% parliament seats on 60% vote share, media control, compliant courts, open call for coup if he loses. . Who still kpkb he cannot handle it. Yet keep asking for pay rise to handle very "tough" job.

I am not asking for change of Govt. There MUST be real checks.

I want PAP to lose the 2/3 majority asap.

No one party should have the right to just redo our constitution anytime they want on their own. Expect them to change more things to their advantage again if they lose more seats.

I want them forced to abolish GRC, by losing more GRC, only then will they realise it's back fired. No candidates by backdoor.

I want TC abolished and reverted back to hdb, only then can we prevent the AIM and upgrading bull shit that's been going on. I do the same taxes and NS, I expect my neighbourhood to have the same benefits regardless of who I exercise my vote for. Otherwise. . Reduce my taxes and NS accordingly.

Good to hear some agreed than lhl rule spore like a dictator. Non of the opp currently are ready to govern the country. The least we can do is not to give lhl a blank cheque. We can write down the payee or at least the amount. Let lhl has the signatory.

If there is improvement than another 5 years we do away with the amount...this cycle can be repeated If voters know how to utilise the opp.

Imagine one GE without a single opp to contest. Is as good as telling the government the country give you a blank cheque. Do whatever you went.

• Praise 2

I have no issues with your figures and facts.

What I am pointing out is that those First World countries that have natural resources do not need to rely on these since they have moved 'upstream' (industry/professional services eg banking, technology etc) to sustain their GDP, and yet if their GDP falters, they have natural resources to fall back on. But what about Singapore? What is there to sustain us when our GDP falters? There are no fishes and vegetables to export...cos we dont even have enough of these and have to rely on imports.

And you will know it is linked...economy falters, SGD falls, inflation rises, costs of goods increase. SGD too high, investors will look elsewhere for best value for their buck. It is really a fine balance to ensure the pace and momentum of the country is maintained.

These two charts explain why the primary (natural resource) economy

isn't that important in first world high income countries

hNx3WvR.jpg

Also, primary sectors like mining and agriculture

will never be able to absorb/employ the workers in the secondary and tertiary ones.

zWIyFA7.jpg

[cool]

Edited by CKP
  • Praise 3

something I observed, WP has been getting very slick in their PR campaign. Their responses and replies thru the media. Their FB posting ,,, etc

They sure hired a guru sia

In fact this worries me.

This is going down the route of the western countries.

In comparison, the PAP is not as slick.

Brudder you mean this? Please tell me your shop name n address, I want to spend spend spend.!!!!

yeah.. something like this.. A MCFers posted a pic on the makan thread of my dessert when he visited sometime back..

I can't find the post though [laugh]

Sometimes it is not about PAP pissing people off.

The theory I keep hearing is that some percentage of the population already decided who they want to vote. The swing votes are most often the one that decide the winner. If there are enough people in the swing votes category think that they want oppo to be in parliament (not that they think highly of them), then you WILL have freak results.

I do not want freak results, I want PAP to continue to be government after 911.

You can have your 20 seats for WP, the question remained, in a situation when all seats are contested, how do you ensure that?

there will always be push and pull factors in any decision. I shall give more credit to voters (for better or worse) in making their decision on who to vote for.

You are again, not wrong. However, for every one voter who thinks of letting opposition in (not becos they think highly of them), there is also another who votes the incumbent in precisely for the same reason (not thinking highly of them) :D

He is the only leader with 90% parliament seats on 60% vote share, media control, compliant courts, open call for coup if he loses. . Who still kpkb he cannot handle it. Yet keep asking for pay rise to handle very "tough" job.

I am not asking for change of Govt. There MUST be real checks.

I want PAP to lose the 2/3 majority asap.

No one party should have the right to just redo our constitution anytime they want on their own. Expect them to change more things to their advantage again if they lose more seats.

I want them forced to abolish GRC, by losing more GRC, only then will they realise it's back fired. No candidates by backdoor.

I want TC abolished and reverted back to hdb, only then can we prevent the AIM and upgrading bull shit that's been going on. I do the same taxes and NS, I expect my neighbourhood to have the same benefits regardless of who I exercise my vote for. Otherwise. . Reduce my taxes and NS accordingly.

Good to hear some agreed than lhl rule spore like a dictator. Non of the opp currently are ready to govern the country. The least we can do is not to give lhl a blank cheque. We can write down the payee or at least the amount. Let lhl has the signatory.

If there is improvement than another 5 years we do away with the amount...this cycle can be repeated If voters know how to utilise the opp.

Imagine one GE without a single opp to contest. Is as good as telling the government the country give you a blank cheque. Do whatever you went.

Building tertiary sectors can only come when the primary and secondary sectors have contributed to the economy and the general wealth of the people.

Generally speaking, you can't leapfrog.

Banking, how can u bank if u have no wealth. How can u own a cellphone to enrich the telecom company if you don't have disposable wealth? All these come from secondary or primary industries.

How can the world's largest consumer economy not falter (USA) when the GFC reduces consumer spending? Though actual wealth destruction was minimal and confined to part of the citizens.

This chart explains why the primary economy isn't that important

primary sectors like mining and agriculture

will never be able to absorb/employ the workers in the secondary and tertiary ones.

[cool]

• Praise 1

In fact this worries me.

This is going down the route of the western countries.

In comparison, the PAP is not as slick.

on the other hand, I will not think so much on that. Maybe a benchmark where other parties might wanna emulate the next round. Its like trying your best to get the message across. They are essentially carrying the same message, just more savvy and definitely more eye catching. BUT as to whether people buy it, verdict still out there. We shall know on 9-11 [:)]

Everyone has their fair access to media, if you don't know and can't make use of it fully, can only blame oneself.

on the other hand, I will not think so much on that. Maybe a benchmark where other parties might wanna emulate the next round. Its like trying your best to get the message across. They are essentially carrying the same message, just more savvy and definitely more eye catching. BUT as to whether people buy it, verdict still out there. We shall know on 9-11 [:)]

Everyone has their fair access to media, if you don't know and can't make use of it fully, can only blame oneself.

If you have the PR running just the website, fine.

If you have the PR deciding what candidates should say or respond to questions, I'm not sure where it should be headed.

I'll give the benefit of doubt to WP, they probably just have very strict party discipline on what to say on certain issues. Similar to 2011 GE.

And the flak that PAP gets for the party whip ... ... WP has exactly the same thing. -_-

even as a lone man, Mr Chiam was already ignored, whacked left right centre back [mad]

↡ Advertisement