General Election 2015 - 11 Sep 2015

RadX

For me, it is never about 6.9 million, it is whether the systems are prepared for 6.9 million.

The failure of pap here is they way this was communicated. They should have stated from the onset that they are beefing up the transport systens etc before communicating on the parameters.

If we look around us, there is still quite a bit of land to develop. Govt is already decentralising cbd with business areas in changi, jurong, yishun, woodlands, tampines. This is to spead the workers thin so that transport systems can cope. But there are teething problems now in the midst of it, like how we have to be inconvenienced when repairs are done at home.

It is not the fault of the citizens to see this as they will project the 6.9 based on their current lens. The govt should have given new lens before revealing this.

Lsl will be stepping down soon. That said, it is comforting to know that Tharman and some more seasoned ministers like Ng Eng Heng will be around. I'm thinking how hard it must be to convince people to join them as people are always on standby to pelt stones at them.

I'm hoping the future of leaders will be more of teachers and lesser of principals to communicate and guide the nation along.

My exact sentiments

Before my neighbourhoodl hawker centre was rebuild, chicken rice starts from $2.

After rebuild, chicken rice starts from $2.5.

This yr, it was renovated for 3 mths. NOW, chicken rice starts from $3.

Who caused the inflation in my chicken rice over the years?

National Environmental forces?

10-20yr MOP but lower price?

sounds good but during this 10-20 yrs, their income may have risen quite a bit and now they either need a bigger HDB or wish to upgrade to private........I think some will make noise again

As for a party suggestion on pegging HDB prices to monthly income, I think is not fair.... everyone that qualifies should pay the same price for the same thing........ various loophole would be 1 partner quit his/her job, business owners may under declare income, sales person may also under declare.... etc

20 year MOP is extreme.

Another way is to use levy to claw back capital appreciation from BTO owners if they can sell the flat for a much higher price.

THis will also have other downstream benefits by controlling escalation of suburban condo prices

recall that the recent property market boom is fueled by demand for suburban condos, which was fueled by high HDB resale prices where owners could make easily $300k upwards and plough them into a condo.

150k-200k for a new 4 room flat.....ha...that was so 20 yrs ago!

my dad bought his first 4-room flat in simei for $48,000 in 1988.

he was a painter earning $60 a day which equal to $1,440 per month, my mum is a housewife.

those were the days...

They will tell you they have already building more flats and more mrt track now liao, and they are confident enough that all these measures can handle the 6.9 mill population. [rolleyes]

Yes, that's when everything is running well.

When it's broken, there's no viable alternative services.

Turbocharged

Before my neighbourhoodl hawker centre was rebuild, chicken rice starts from $2.

After rebuild, chicken rice starts from $2.5.

This yr, it was renovated for 3 mths. NOW, chicken rice starts from $3.

Who caused the inflation in my chicken rice over the years?

You'll also notice the hawker's chopping/knife skills improve too.

Last time only chop vertically, now can slice horizontally too to split it in 2 for another layer of meat.

And the super smashing skill using the flat of the chopper to flatten the chicken meat so that now the surface area is bigger and appear more.

"but Uncle, I never order ayam penyat leh"....

• Praise 1

ah bang,

not far off leh....

http://esales.hdb.gov.sg/hdbvsf/eampu05p.nsf/0/15MAYBTO_page_1905/$file/about0.html

Town Project(s) Flat Type# Selling Price

(Excluding Grants) Selling Price

(Including Grants^) Non-Mature Towns/Estates Sembawang EastLink I & II @ Canberra 2-room* From $75,000 From $15,000 3-room From $152,000 From $102,000 4-room From $238,000 From $203,000

hahaha.....not sure of the pricing now....last yr or the yr before a friend bought a 4 room in jurong......270k......i say wahhh so ex....She says cheap....

PS...i changed the time frame to 15 yrs already.....hahaha! You quote me so fast!

They will tell you they have already building more flats and more mrt track now liao, and they are confident enough that all these measures can handle the 6.9 mill population. [rolleyes]

Housing is one thing which they should not screw up in the first place.

Granted, you are building slightly behind demand, so as not to have an oversupply of flats.

But when the floodgates open, why didn't ICA or whichever dept in charge of immigration tells MND & MoT to quickly ramp up housing and transport supply? Mind you, these numbers are not projections or estimation. These are hard numbers, right down to the last baby, it just didn't get passed around.

This miscommunication (or lack of it) is something which is unthinkable for a govt known for high efficiency.

• Praise 1

From KBW, the price of the BTO (after adding in grants) is/will be pegged to the income. 1K income can afford a 2 room flat, 2K income can a 3 room flat and 4K income can afford a 4 room flat. According to him, affordability in HDB flat is defined as capable of paying monthly installment using CPF alone, without cash top up.

what this KBW hui ge talking about?? :pissed-off::yuush:

your cpf is for retirement, not for you to use ALL of it to pay for housing

not everyone is like him.. after paying bills still have $50K each month leftover to save or spend on luxury!

• Praise 2

Twincharged

he was a painter earning $60 a day which equal to $1,440 per month, my mum is a housewife.

those were the days...

Nowadays this kind of income got to settle for 2 or 3 room hdb already. The cleaner at my block earning around 800+ a month only can afford to get a 2 room flat because his wife is unable to work due to medical conditions. Don't seem to be comfortable because he has 3 children. Dunno how he is going to cope when his children grow up and need more space.

As much as i hated the 6.9 mil figure, i'm afraid its part of the hard truth.

1. Singaporeans can't replace ourselves, in early 2014, the birthrate is 0.8. It has since climbed to 1.4. An improvement, but still not enough to replace ourselves.

2. Those who study demographics in Geography are aware that 20-30 years down the road the chart is going to be come top heavy (in extreme cases, V-shape). Instead of 2-3 taxpayers supporting 1 elderly, it's going to be the opposite. This is happening all over the developed world, Japan, HK, Taiwan, Korea etc.

3. CPF is there partly so that the old can partially support themselves. (The implementation can be improved, but that's another story for another day).

4. So unless we as Singaporeans start being more active in bed (and the govt needs to support even more on the childcare front, especially to single parents), the burden on young working adults is going to be heavier.. and the endless cycle continues..

5. The crux of the problem is not so much of the magic number - we all know that sooner or later, we're gonna get there - but rather how are we going to prepare for the eventuality.

6. In 2000, our population is 4 mil, and we added 1.4 mil in the last 15 years alone (that's around 90,000 every year).

7. Infrastructure are and is still lagging behind - all the building boom in the last 4 years is to catch up on lost time.

8. Xenophobia aside, If PAP wants Singaporeans to accept 6.9 mil population, they need to tell us how are they going to reach that number, while still maintaining the same standard of living we have now.

I will disagree with the points raised by Vivian on "shrinking, ageing and so forth"

because after doing some studying on these topics myself,

my conclusion is that the so called ageing/shrinking issues

have been overblown to sell the 6.9 million PWP.

I recommend everyone should do some reading for themselves

directly from the independent experts on demographic issues
before buying into all of talking points found in the 2013 PWP.
The hard truths you listed are really not that hard --
they are primarily based on the 2013 PWP
which I have read in full.
They seem like "hard truths"
because there haven't been a robust and open debate on the details.
[cool]
Edited by CKP
  • Praise 1

You'll also notice the hawker's chopping/knife skills improve too.

Last time only chop vertically, now can slice horizontally too to split it in 2 for another layer of meat.

And the super smashing skill using the flat of the chopper to flatten the chicken meat so that now the surface area is bigger and appear more.

"but Uncle, I never order ayam penyat leh"....

tell me about it !!! the duck dick rice now sliced till so thin [laugh]

Edited by Othello

hahaha.....not sure of the pricing now....last yr or the yr before a friend bought a 4 room in jurong......270k......i say wahhh so ex....She says cheap....

PS...i changed the time frame to 15 yrs already.....hahaha! You quote me so fast!

because I don't agree flats is unaffordable... maybe past 2-3yrs... but that's about all.... with the extra work done by hdb in building new flats and slowly reducing the price... it has more or less become affordable........ but standard lar....... cheap means abit more ulu.......

those were the days...

no need to go back so far........if price is lowered to those of 2000 we should be happy liao! My home is not for me to speculate but for me to live.....i would have sold them so many years ago if i wanted to cash in the profit.

well I choose 3 rm resale over 5 rm bto ......... is all about managing own expectations.... [:)]

I also stay in 3rm resale in a lao pok estate lah :a-good:

↡ Advertisement