Lithium jump starter

Kb27

Hypersonic
(edited)
40 minutes ago, Discoburg said:

Organize a GB la. I see cheapest in Shop at $58.50/set.

Frankly bro, at our age nobody want to do the sai gang. So better to just buy from Shopee, etc and deliver straight to our doorstep…hahaha.

Maybe in our 20s when driving Fit/Jazz still will do that.

Edited by Fcw75
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 4

11 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Frankly bro, at our age nobody want to do the sai gang. So better to just buy from Shopee, etc and deliver straight to our doorstep…hahaha.

Right - my beer has just been delivered by shopee. Plus many other things. That's why no top up petrol almost once a month. 

• Haha! 2

70mai could not jump-start my Honda Shuttle Hybrid last week 😐

I think it can only work if there is still some decent charge left in the battery.  For a really flat battery, the current may not be sufficient.

I almost ordered the 70mai jump-starter during an earlier sale too but I think it will buy a spare battery instead 🙁

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

19 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

True that.

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Wildfaye29 said:

I'm back after 1 year!

Car is a Fit Hybrid. 

Charger is a 70mai. Bought in Jun 2020 and only had a full charge since then.

2020 Jun was the CB period and i had to jump a ocassionally to get the car to start esp after aft 4 days - but once started and driving around the 12V held voltage and was able to start normally.

2020 Oct the car was 2 yrs old (12V from new too) and showed signs of weak batt. the jump intervals started  from 4 days to 3  to 2 to 1 day. it was until every drive that i had to jump that i decided it was a no brainer to chg a new 12v. changed to a new 35AH Amaron non-start stop.

2021 Mar the other car also had issues starting after parking a few days - used the same charger a couple of times until I decided to change to a new 12V

All in all over the year 1 year - I prob used the charger over 10 times, as of today still has 3 out of 4 dots on the charger.

Overall 70mai is a very good quality product. Will recommend to anyone who drives to keep one in the glovebox for that crucial moment.

Can be used as a powerbank too.

I still have the trusty jump start cables in my cars since 20 years ago - they still work too! 🙂

I bought a 70mai too, abt 2 or 3 mths ago. So far no chance to use yet. But I usually leave it at home. My thinking was, if battery is weak, probably will hv problem when leaving home not only when outside. Anyway I usually park indoors so no issue if I want to leave it in the boot all the time.

Turbocharged
16 minutes ago, awhtc said:

70mai could not jump-start my Honda Shuttle Hybrid last week 😐

I think it can only work if there is still some decent charge left in the battery.  For a really flat battery, the current may not be sufficient.

I almost ordered the 70mai jump-starter during an earlier sale too but I think it will buy a spare battery instead 🙁

was the 70mai at full charge? I also recall fm the instruction sheet that there's a "boost charger" function. Was planning to read it in detail if and when the need arises LOL

Battery needs to be conditioned periodically. Yes, battery seller gonna hate mee for saying this. 

Both my MINI DIN 75 and SORENTO DIN 90 are almost 3 years and last checked are in good condition, at least that's what the battery analyser indicated. 

• Praise 1

I have the xiaomi 70mai which I leave inside my car and sometimes use to power a usb fan when I am sitting inside the car. Its 10000mAh so should be able to charge my handphone (as a backup) even when it is around half full. Usually will bring it home to charge again when it is around half full. So far I have not tried starting the car with it.

My car is normally parked indoors so the battery is not subjected to too abrupt temperature extremes or cycling. I have some knowledge about lithium battery cos I studied its reliability, safety and certifications for a few years in my work, and I had previously created a thread about the hazards here. If your car is mainly parked indoors (home, work) then really the risk of it getting thermal runaway is low, and no more than leaving it at home. The key thing is getting cells with the relevant certifications. Used to be UL1642 (still quite relevant today), now it is IEC62133. If you have time, can go study the tests that are being done in certifications as they simulate how a battery can fail hazardously. Then relate it to how you used it to understand the risks in your applications.

• Praise 4

@Shibadog It was an almost full charge.  For the price, I suggest topping up another $10-20 more for a new car battery or get a cheap 2nd hand relatively new one and keep it as a spare in your car.  It will surely work even if it is fully charged.  I like my 70mai smart dash camera but the portable charger is another thing altogether.

@Columbian78 Now I remember why I brought my other portable battery charger out of my car boot and store it in my other house.  It was a safety concern on the lithium-ion battery.  Thanks for bringing it up.  I think a lead-acid battery is a proven stable technology for a car.

Supersonic
Just now, awhtc said:

@Columbian78 Now I remember why I brought my other portable battery charger out of my car boot and store it in my other house.  It was a safety concern on the lithium-ion battery.  Thanks for bringing it up.  I think a lead-acid battery is a proven stable technology for a car.

From this post, i can see that you have more than one house. And that your house is cheaper than your car, it is why you rather burn down your house instead of your car. 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha! 5

Supersonic

I just used my xiaomi tonight, my car battery was completely flat, it took me a while to locate the battery pack because I also safe-kept it a while ago. When I connected it to my car, my interior lights were switched on, I know it must be the little hands who played in my car again. 😅

• Haha! 4

Turbocharged
8 minutes ago, awhtc said:

@Shibadog It was an almost full charge.  For the price, I suggest topping up another $10-20 more for a new car battery or get a cheap 2nd hand relatively new one and keep it as a spare in your car.  It will surely work even if it is fully charged.  I like my 70mai smart dash camera but the portable charger is another thing altogether.

weird. Anything to do with your car being a hybrid?

btw, I bought the 70mai at below $60. A new 12V car battery costs me twice of that and at that time of purchasing the 70mai, my car batt was abt 11mths old and I did think of changing to a new batt anyway but I figured the 70mai has other uses as well. I won't keep a spare lead acid battery in the car but that's just me.

@Ct3833 It is just a small house that gradually becomes my tiny warehouse.  Lithium-ion batteries are really tricky when the capacity goes up.  The car interior temperature can soar if I park under the sun and the heat can cause these batteries to overheat and explode.

Fires Involving Batteries of Electric Bicycles, Personal Mobility Devices, Powerbanks and Laptops (2008 – 2015)

Batteries of consumer products were involved in about 52.7% of all battery fires in Singapore from 2008 – 2015. Among these, batteries of electric bicycles were the most prevalent, followed by powerbanks.

https://www.scdf.gov.sg/docs/default-source/scdf-library/far-issue-3---21-feb-2017.pdf

• Praise 2

Supersonic
(edited)
6 minutes ago, awhtc said:

@Ct3833 It is just a small house that gradually becomes my tiny warehouse.  Lithium-ion batteries are really tricky when the capacity goes up.  The car interior temperature can soar if I park under the sun and the heat can cause these batteries to overheat and explode.

Fires Involving Batteries of Electric Bicycles, Personal Mobility Devices, Powerbanks and Laptops (2008 – 2015)

Batteries of consumer products were involved in about 52.7% of all battery fires in Singapore from 2008 – 2015. Among these, batteries of electric bicycles were the most prevalent, followed by powerbanks.

https://www.scdf.gov.sg/docs/default-source/scdf-library/far-issue-3---21-feb-2017.pdf

Haha sinkapoure no cheap house ah, you use it as a garage! HAHA.

But agree with youand thanks for sharing, it is  also why I stored it away in a safe place until I neally  couldn't find it just now. I avoid keeping it in my car too . Just want to be safe, not because I am overly paranoid about it. 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged
On 5/16/2020 at 8:22 PM, Fcw75 said:

Feedback again after a year. [laugh]

I have used 3 different brands (Powerall, Nocco, RAVPower), end result all the same...bloated battery.

Unless you don't leave it in the car but that defeat the purpose isn't it? 

my Rav also bloated after 1 year plus, only used once for my friend car. 

• Sad 1

Twincharged
On 6/8/2021 at 10:14 PM, Hamburger said:

Battery needs to be conditioned periodically. Yes, battery seller gonna hate mee for saying this. 

Both my MINI DIN 75 and SORENTO DIN 90 are almost 3 years and last checked are in good condition, at least that's what the battery analyser indicated. 

DIN75 is an odd size? usually DIN70, 80,90, 100.

↡ Advertisement