An encounter to share while in JB

Hotshot85

Hey bros and sis, just to share an encounter that happened to me in JB a few hours ago...

After a whole afternoon and evening of shopping/eating/etc etc, I ended up at B.point Shell petrol kiosk(the one right next to JB CIQ) to top up before returning back to Singapore. As I was just about to start re-fuelling, suddenly this malay dude (30s-40s) appeared out of nowhere and pleaded with me for help.

He claimed that he was robbed, and lost his NRIC and passport so he was identification-less and there was no way he could cross back into Singapore. He had "already approached the JB polis for help but they told him to go to KL HQ or something to settle his issues there". Since there was no way for him to get to KL, he wanted me to help contact his daughter and ask her to bring his birth cert to City Square tomorrow morning at 8am to prove his identity to the officials.

1st thing I said was my phone wasn't on auto-roaming, so I couldnt make any calls. This was to make it so I had no reason to take out my phone anyways, in case. He then asked for paper and a pen to write down the contact details of his "daughter" so that when I am back in Singapore I could make the call. I was still re-fuelling then, and suddenly his topic changed to "how much do you pump per tank?". I started to be more suspicious, because a guy in desperate need of identification for the authorities probably wouldn't be thinking about how much petrol I would be pumping. Just to gauge his reaction, I said $200/tank. His eyes lit up like fireworks.

I slowed down the rate of the fuel nozzle, just to drag out time, and to start scanning my car's reflection for anyone else who might approach me from behind. He then walked one round to scan the occupants in my car (wifey, sis-in-law, her bf and another friend), and stopped at the fuel pump itself. Kept telling me that I could just lock the fuel nozzle to let it pump on its own, rather than me manually squeezing it in short bursts (since I was doing that to continue dragging out time and scan my reflection even more). It was at this point when he asked what brand my ride was, that I dropped all doubts about him really being in trouble. I just told him it was a Mazda, which was a lie ... since generally Mazdas aren't a popular car to be GTA-ed in malaysia (in case it wasn't just a simple scammer, but part of some organized crime crap).

To my relief, the petrol station supervisor suddenly popped out, spoke a few words to the fella and he scampered off right there and then. I didnt manage to thank the supervisor as I was still in adrenaline mode and afraid that others might pop out. Although he certainly won't be seeing this, I still wanna say a very big thanks to the abang!!!

Thankfully, all my occupants were aware that something was up even though I hadn't communicated anything to them, and they were all mentally prepared to take action and had stowed their bags and valuables already. My only regret was that both of my steering wheel locks were in the boot, so if I had needed a weapon all I was left with was the fuel nozzle. From now on, I will ensure that I am armed in some way when topping up petrol, no matter how busy the station might appear to be, and no matter whether it was intended to be just a simple scam, a robbery or a GTA. Even if I look stupid, it doesnt matter cuz the safety of my occupants and myself are of utmost priority. Plus, you only need one hand to operate the fuel nozzle anyways.

I realise the post got abit long-winded, but since it was the first time something like that has happened to me instead of just reading about it, I feel the need to share and spread the message of being aware and alert at all times especially when one is in Malaysia. If you have occupants in the car, make sure that they are also on the lookout and not chit-chatting away or playing on their phones or whatever.

Cheers, and have a wonderful and safe weekend!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 31

Supercharged

Did he spoke to you in English?

If he's Singaporean, he should approach the Singapore consulate in JB for help, instead.

Thanks for the heads-up, anyway.

• Praise 2

Ur sis in law bf should step out of car to scare him off. He think u alone or no other guy in the car.

Good thing it happened in petrol station. Reminded me of my encounter in 2009, a guy approached me as I approaching my car that is park along the street around city square area.

Then this malay guy ask me whether i had 5 pieces Rm10 to change with his Rm 50. I said don't have, then he asked me to give him Rm 20. I said I no money. He said SGD also never mind. Luckily my uncle who was inside the car aware of this and get down to help me. When the guy saw my uncle, he immediately go away.

Thats why I hardly go JB city centre and recently went there again, it feels more dangerous than before. For example, I went to city square drop off area to drop my parent, then there is this guy suddenly approaching my car and stand beside my driver door side. Before I came out from my car to take out things in trunk, I turn off the engine in case he want to steal my car.

And also the looks of the people suspiciously looking at me and my car. This makes me don't feel like going jb city, rather go bukit indah through tuas

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Yep. Be mentally prepare and alert at all times. We grew up in safe Singapore, go other country cannot behave like home. I also had my fair share of "funny" encounters at JB petrol station. Since this is a cowboy town, act like a cowboy lor. Prepare to spray the petrol at assailants or use the car to knock them down.

• Praise 6

My only regret was that both of my steering wheel locks were in the boot, so if I had needed a weapon all I was left with was the fuel nozzle. From now on, I will ensure that I am armed in some way when topping up petrol, no matter how busy the station might appear to be, and no matter whether it was intended to be just a simple scam, a robbery or a GTA. Even if I look stupid, it doesnt matter cuz the safety of my occupants and myself are of utmost priority. Plus, you only need one hand to operate the fuel nozzle anyways.

hmm ... most petrol stations have those squeegee on a long pole [bounce1]

take one and stand by ur car while pumping petrol

on a more serious note, I also ever encountered a potential incident... basically a dude on a motorbike came up to my fren's car, stopped and peered into the windows. When the petrol station guy chased him off, he rode off... only to return a minute later to survey my car [sweatdrop]. Again the petrol station guy chased him off. At that time my fren and I were queuing at the cashier to pay up... but I managed to notice it bcos I was looking back at the cars while in the queue.

Most likely, if the guy had spotted a bag or something potentially valuable in the car, he would smash the window, grab the bag and zoom off. Fortunately my fren's car is too messy for the guy to identify the most valuable item, and my car has no barang-barang in the cabin [sunny]

• Praise 4

Thanks Bro for the wonderful tip :))

Always remind oneself to be careful while we are in a foreign place, regardless whether in Malaysia or other places.

Safety first, if in doubt, approach police immediately

• Praise 3

Yep. Be mentally prepare and alert at all times. We grew up in safe Singapore, go other country cannot behave like home. I also had my fair share of "funny" encounters at JB petrol station. Since this is a cowboy town, act like a cowboy lor. Prepare to spray the petrol at assailants or use the car to knock them down.

dats wat i always do..nvr ever let go of the fuel pump.

1.due to low maintenance, some pumps auto-stop feature is spoilt.dunwan to waste petrol that way.

2. in case anything 'funny' happens,i'll make sure i will spray full blast petrol on the bugger. It will also cause burning pain if gets direct contact to the eyes. and it will also be slippery for the bugger if he tries to get away.

• Praise 6

For me, if I stop at petrol kiosk for re-fuel, all passengers in car will have to get out & I will switch off the engine & hold the keys. In case really suay that some1 can steal my car, the worse thing to happen would be car gone.

• Praise 3

I am kinda sure he was gonna jack ur car! When fueling, it is good to lock up all doors and take key outta ignition.

Hey bros and sis, just to share an encounter that happened to me in JB a few hours ago...

After a whole afternoon and evening of shopping/eating/etc etc, I ended up at B.point Shell petrol kiosk(the one right next to JB CIQ) to top up before returning back to Singapore. As I was just about to start re-fuelling, suddenly this malay dude (30s-40s) appeared out of nowhere and pleaded with me for help.

He claimed that he was robbed, and lost his NRIC and passport so he was identification-less and there was no way he could cross back into Singapore. He had "already approached the JB polis for help but they told him to go to KL HQ or something to settle his issues there". Since there was no way for him to get to KL, he wanted me to help contact his daughter and ask her to bring his birth cert to City Square tomorrow morning at 8am to prove his identity to the officials.

1st thing I said was my phone wasn't on auto-roaming, so I couldnt make any calls. This was to make it so I had no reason to take out my phone anyways, in case. He then asked for paper and a pen to write down the contact details of his "daughter" so that when I am back in Singapore I could make the call. I was still re-fuelling then, and suddenly his topic changed to "how much do you pump per tank?". I started to be more suspicious, because a guy in desperate need of identification for the authorities probably wouldn't be thinking about how much petrol I would be pumping. Just to gauge his reaction, I said $200/tank. His eyes lit up like fireworks.

I slowed down the rate of the fuel nozzle, just to drag out time, and to start scanning my car's reflection for anyone else who might approach me from behind. He then walked one round to scan the occupants in my car (wifey, sis-in-law, her bf and another friend), and stopped at the fuel pump itself. Kept telling me that I could just lock the fuel nozzle to let it pump on its own, rather than me manually squeezing it in short bursts (since I was doing that to continue dragging out time and scan my reflection even more). It was at this point when he asked what brand my ride was, that I dropped all doubts about him really being in trouble. I just told him it was a Mazda, which was a lie ... since generally Mazdas aren't a popular car to be GTA-ed in malaysia (in case it wasn't just a simple scammer, but part of some organized crime crap).

To my relief, the petrol station supervisor suddenly popped out, spoke a few words to the fella and he scampered off right there and then. I didnt manage to thank the supervisor as I was still in adrenaline mode and afraid that others might pop out. Although he certainly won't be seeing this, I still wanna say a very big thanks to the abang!!!

Thankfully, all my occupants were aware that something was up even though I hadn't communicated anything to them, and they were all mentally prepared to take action and had stowed their bags and valuables already. My only regret was that both of my steering wheel locks were in the boot, so if I had needed a weapon all I was left with was the fuel nozzle. From now on, I will ensure that I am armed in some way when topping up petrol, no matter how busy the station might appear to be, and no matter whether it was intended to be just a simple scam, a robbery or a GTA. Even if I look stupid, it doesnt matter cuz the safety of my occupants and myself are of utmost priority. Plus, you only need one hand to operate the fuel nozzle anyways.

I realise the post got abit long-winded, but since it was the first time something like that has happened to me instead of just reading about it, I feel the need to share and spread the message of being aware and alert at all times especially when one is in Malaysia. If you have occupants in the car, make sure that they are also on the lookout and not chit-chatting away or playing on their phones or whatever.

Cheers, and have a wonderful and safe weekend!

I practice what u do too. But for TS, there are quite a few people.

For me, if I stop at petrol kiosk for re-fuel, all passengers in car will have to get out & I will switch off the engine & hold the keys. In case really suay that some1 can steal my car, the worse thing to happen would be car gone.

• Praise 3

I am kinda sure he was gonna jack ur car! When fueling, it is good to lock up all doors and take key outta ignition.

I practice what u do too. But for TS, there are quite a few people.

Would a hijacker target a car with so many adults inside?

Seems unlikely leh

• Praise 4

Turbocharged

For me, first thing is to scan surrounding then quickly get out, then quickly close and have my occupants lock it.

Then I pump with eyes open, detect movements at the corner of my eyes as well. Tired siah.. machiam like on hi alert for ambush.

Yes.. I've also reduced my visits to perhaps once a quarter or so.

• Praise 3

That's why he surveyed first.

I think he would likely ask for money if not for the attendant who came out. Not the first time he was doing it

I think he would likely ask for money if not for the attendant who came out. Not the first time he was doing it

Agreed on this.

Probably the attendant knows him, and tell him to go away to somewhere else to ask for money.

Still, pretty scaring if someone is targeting your car or the cash/jewellery in the car, and if desperate, may harm the occupants of the car. ...

Really lucky that there is no harm to TS and his family :)

• Praise 2

wah pump petrol so jialat.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5