Turning a Router into a Bridge

Darryn

Hey guys - this is probably more appropriate for HWZ - but you're all cleverer and I prefer to talk here, so will try first...

Recently got our fiber Broadband with Starhub.

So got a nice spanking new D-Link router...

Decided to turn my old TP-Link into a bridge to boost the signal to the bedroom....but CANNOT!!!

I have changed the settings, turned of DHCP, given it a new IP address so that it connects to the D-Link BUT....it refuses to let me up to the internet..

No doubt some here have got the same D-Link router from Starhub - anybody got any ideas on how I can do the bridge?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hey guys - this is probably more appropriate for HWZ - but you're all cleverer and I prefer to talk here, so will try first...

Decided to turn my old TP-Link into a bridge to boost the signal to the bedroom....but CANNOT!!!

I have changed the settings, turned of DHCP, given it a new IP address so that it connects to the D-Link BUT....it refuses to let me up to the internet..

No doubt some here have got the same D-Link router from Starhub - anybody got any ideas on how I can do the bridge?

http://musicphotolife.blogspot.sg/2012/10/a-starhub-maxinfinity-situation-use.html

Try this? Can't vouch for it tho

I flashed my old Linksys WRT54G router with dd-wrt - look it up, it's free but requires some basic knowledge.

After trying it out as a wireless repeater bridge for a few months I gave up on that configuration as the back and forth traffic between the routers was unacceptably poor, not helped by the large distance and walls between them. In the end I opted to configure it as a wired access point - it is connected by ethernet to the main router, but throws out a wireless signal to clients. I also bought another access point which is also on a long powered ethernet to the main router. In short, stay wired as much as possible.

try using the repeater mode instead? i'm assuming there's such an option in the TP-Link set up.

TP-Link has a bridge mode - which I have set, it detects my primary, asks for the SSID and password etc, and I can see the TP-Link connected (it's mac address) in the admin module of the D-Link.

Just cannot go up to the internet via the TP-Link...

Really scratching my head...

TP-Link has a bridge mode - which I have set, it detects my primary, asks for the SSID and password etc, and I can see the TP-Link connected (it's mac address) in the admin module of the D-Link.

Just cannot go up to the internet via the TP-Link...

Really scratching my head...

is there a repeater mode? if so, you can give that a try.

Edited by Wacko

I flashed my old Linksys WRT54G router with dd-wrt - look it up, it's free but requires some basic knowledge.

After trying it out as a wireless repeater bridge for a few months I gave up on that configuration as the back and forth traffic between the routers was unacceptably poor, not helped by the large distance and walls between them. In the end I opted to configure it as a wired access point - it is connected by ethernet to the main router, but throws out a wireless signal to clients. I also bought another access point which is also on a long powered ethernet to the main router. In short, stay wired as much as possible.

that's what I'm doing too...

Hmmm...

Will look it up - thanks

Am trying wireless as really don't want wires all over the place - although I do agree the best solution is to run cat five into the bedroom and then wireless from there (although I did test a the D-Link LAN to the TP WAN, but that didn't work, so something somewhere is screwing me over)

The two wireless sets are in the same room - its just that the second one gives the signal a more direct route that doesn't have to go through so much concrete (L-Shaped room)

that's what I'm doing too...

having trouble finding a download for dd-wrt...

where did you take from?

Connect your laptop or any device by lan cable to your bridge.

Type in your main router ip, see if you can access the router GUI. At least you know your bridge and router are in the same network.

• Praise 1

1st sentence score 5 points liao.

• Praise 1

Assuming dhcp is not relaying correctly in bridge mode, Hv u test tried static ip on ur wireless device (laptop, smart phone, tablet)?

That's what I spent last hour trying - variations around static IP

Connect your laptop or any device by lan cable to your bridge.

Type in your main router ip, see if you can access the router GUI. At least you know your bridge and router are in the same network.

In one configuration managed to access both gui from the same network - now have lost it again.

Manged to get it up via a wired link...now have lost it again.

Giving up lor...

too long already

Whats yr Main Router IP? DHCP Range?

There must be a Lan Cat5E cable from Main Router to your TP Link Router...

I guess he is using the old router as a bridge/wifi extender. In this case no wired connection need. Of course this is assuming the old router has the bridge mode.

In one configuration managed to access both gui from the same network - now have lost it again.

Manged to get it up via a wired link...now have lost it again.

Giving up lor...

too long already

Can you try again, only this time don't go into GUI. Go to command prompt and ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -t.

The ping will be continuous. Check if there is intermittent timeouts. Maybe the wired or wifi connection is bad.

Buy a signal repeater aka range extender is easier. Somemore range extender can repeat at least 2 frequencies as your main wireless router.

Get the new tech stuff. Easier to setup for regular users.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1