With and without ABS @ 120kmh

Kklee

the best way to avoid accident is not ABS, tract control system and blah blah.

drive with moderate speed and everyone will be safe.

didn't you all seen a ferrari skidded on NS highway? ferrari is cheap car?

didn't you all seen a F1 car skidded on the track? F1 is lousy car with lousy tyres and driver?

anything above the speed limit kills.

drive safe and leave your ego at home. [drivingcar]

While one can control one's action, it is not possible to control the actions of others which is why ABS, TCS and ESP is helpful - provided one knows how to use them.

↡ Advertisement

+1

I can't believe some ppl say these safety systems are a marketing gimmick.

IMHO, they are marketing gimmick for the following reason.

a) if the particular brand is not moving the required numbers (of cars), offer ABS, TCS and ESP on all models in the range to differentiate from competitors.

b) if a particular brand is already moving the numbers, offer ABS, TCS and ESP on models that potentially bring in higher profits. E.g. customer already decided on a particular brand, CAT A only have ABS whereas CAT B have ABS, TCS, ESP, etc.

c) to differentiate a particular brand to be a luxury goods - customer pays more for the quality, service, etc

AFAIK, ABS, TCS or ESP are options that can be "ordered" from factory just that locally, these options are not ordered in and cannot be added. Elsewhere like in the US, customer have choices as there are variants for different model.

Twincharged

Seriously your way is wrong as you are not applying full brake force.

Should be= depress fully till the wheels lock up, release it in slip seconds and full force again.

Of course, with technology like ABS the above action is unnecessary. Just depress fully and hope for the best.

Was taught both methods. I find this easier cuz got more control. I just depress as hard as I can until the wheels are going to lock - can hear the wheels screech alittle bit but then not fully locked yet and the pedal starts to feel alittle bit weird.

When I use the other method to let the wheels lock up first then release, my car rear end tend to want to move to the sides. My current method plus keeping a safe distance has been effective and helped me avoid rear ending vehicles ebraking in front of me already. I guess different people got their own methods.

you'll see more difference when its tested on wet road. Prevents brakes from locking & hence skidding.

seems that the test is done in Thailand. Didnt know Camry also made there.

I maybe wrong -

a colleague got the 2nd batch of Sawadeekap Camry ‘05/’06…

Maybe you would like to start a thread to survey how many in SG, actually avoided accidents using ABS, Traction Control & ESP.

Not like dry you don't need ABS.

That's a good point. I think also depends on the brakes setup whether all discs or only front discs.

I still can believe the Camry with ABS seems to stop shorter compared with VIOS.

Maybe the test just want to get a close to the OEM specs as possible to get "real life" results...

Supercharged

While one can control one's action, it is not possible to control the actions of others which is why ABS, TCS and ESP is helpful - provided one knows how to use them.

i agree. but if one is coming right towards you (beating a red light), no amount of safety feature can help you.

just my view. [:)]

Maybe the test just want to get a close to the OEM specs as possible to get "real life" results...

For simplicity, perhaps see them as demo - draw one's own conclusion from comparison.

To me, the real part is how long it takes for the Vios, Corolla and Camry to stop at those speed.

i agree. but if one is coming right towards you (beating a red light), no amount of safety feature can help you.

just my view. [:)]

It is very likely one cannot prevent what one cannot see.

If one can see, ABS, TCS and ESP helps.

Supercharged

Many drivers simply jammed brakes with emergency braking, until the wheels locked due to panic/semi-panic. The braking distance increased once the wheels locked. There is no steering control when the wheels locked. So ABS is to help minimise the duration the wheels locked, by intermitently releasing the brakes to allow better steering control (hopefully the driver can steer to avoid collision). Steering to avoid collision better than crash with air bag. Less damage/injuries. ABS does help shorten the braking distances on case by case basis. Shock absorbers must be in good working order for ABS to function properly.

If shock-absorbers faulty/worn, ABS may not help prevent car from turning right/left and ram into lamppost/wall/kerb/road divider...

one doesn't need to jam brake on the e way if he follows the 2 second rules. (or even 3 seconds if he deems the speed is high and road is wet). but i observe, most of the time, some drivers still like to risk rear end the car in front because they just refused to let go the space in front to the car next to them. if they think giving up a car space and few seconds slower to the car in front is too (costly) than a traffic accident, i would salute these people. [sweatdrop]

For simplicity, perhaps see them as demo - draw one's own conclusion from comparison.

To me, the real part is how long it takes for the Vios, Corolla and Camry to stop at those speed.

"Hopefully" no one should have to brake so hard at such high speeds...

But then again my "hope" is futile...

one doesn't need to jam brake on the e way if he follows the 2 second rules. (or even 3 seconds if he deems the speed is high and road is wet). but i observe, most of the time, some drivers still like to risk rear end the car in front because they just refused to let go the space in front to the car next to them. if they think giving up a car space and few seconds slower to the car in front is too (costly) than a traffic accident, i would salute these people. [sweatdrop]

The 3 or 2 seconds rule will become 1 second when the car from the next lane filter in. If this happens in lane 2 with moderate traffic, there is a 50/50 percent chance that the 1 second will become 0 second when the car in front step brakes.

The damage may be less if the space in front is refused.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

The 3 or 2 seconds rule will become 1 second when the car from the next lane filter in. If this happens in lane 2 with moderate traffic, there is a 50/50 percent chance that the 1 second will become 0 second when the car in front step brakes.

The damage may be less if the space in front is refused.

How can the damage be less if there is less space? If you leave 2s gap, someone cuts in, you still got 1s gap and gradually make it 2s again. If you leave 1s gap, someone cuts in means you got not much reaction time left already. If you decide to tailgate then no one can cut in but then if the first car ebrake, there is a very high chance of rear ending the front car.

When a car cuts in and your gap left with 1s, it becomes 0s when the car that cuts in steps on the brakes right? Then you'd rather keep the gap at less than 1s so that no other car can cut in? Using your logic its worse to have 50% chance of rear ending the car than 100% chance of rear ending the car?

Edited by Nzy

How can the damage be less if there is less space? If you leave 2s gap, someone cuts in, you still got 1s gap and gradually make it 2s again. If you leave 1s gap, someone cuts in means you got not much reaction time left already. If you decide to tailgate then no one can cut in but then if the first car ebrake, there is a very high chance of rear ending the front car.

When a car cuts in and your gap left with 1s, it becomes 0s when the car that cuts in steps on the brakes right? Then you'd rather keep the gap at less than 1s so that no other car can cut in? Using your logic its worse to have 50% chance of rear ending the car than 100% chance of rear ending the car?

Damage is less not due to space but the possibility that the front car will step on the brakes.

Keeping in mind that the gap is only 2 seconds, it is more likely for the car, after executing the lane change to step on the brakes versus a car moving forward.

Supercharged

Damage is less not due to space but the possibility that the front car will step on the brakes.

Keeping in mind that the gap is only 2 seconds, it is more likely for the car, after executing the lane change to step on the brakes versus a car moving forward.

IMO, the possibility of a lane switching car to slow down while switching is when the car behind him on the lane he is trying to switch is too close to his comfort. Some guai lan drivers or driver with poor judgement would just squeeze in even if the gap is not big. i usually just slow down abit to allow the lane switching car to switch comfortably. pushing him would not stop him from switching and it may even cause an accident if he bei zhai and jam his brake. few seconds late wouldn't kill me. [sweatdrop]

The above is referring to driving on highway.

IMO, the possibility of a lane switching car to slow down while switching is when the car behind him on the lane he is trying to switch is too close to his comfort. Some guai lan drivers or driver with poor judgement would just squeeze in even if the gap is not big. i usually just slow down abit to allow the lane switching car to switch comfortably. pushing him would not stop him from switching and it may even cause an accident if he bei zhai and jam his brake. few seconds late wouldn't kill me. [sweatdrop]

The above is referring to driving on highway.

Like that is - hope for the best.

Many drivers simply jammed brakes with emergency braking, until the wheels locked due to panic/semi-panic. The braking distance increased once the wheels locked. There is no steering control when the wheels locked. So ABS is to help minimise the duration the wheels locked, by intermitently releasing the brakes to allow better steering control (hopefully the driver can steer to avoid collision). Steering to avoid collision better than crash with air bag. Less damage/injuries. ABS does help shorten the braking distances on case by case basis. Shock absorbers must be in good working order for ABS to function properly.

If shock-absorbers faulty/worn, ABS may not help prevent car from turning right/left and ram into lamppost/wall/kerb/road divider...

Yes, abs alone helps to certain extent for directional control. Personally encounter while nego a bend at slightly higher speed during wet, just maintain or steer a lil more, diff from no abs, where u need to counter steer.

Whether or not there's such e-aids, the best method would b defensive drivin n observing spd lim. Give ppl too hi tech car mat end up more or worse accidents due to their overconfidence n reliance in technology. Imagine after watching these videos n being full of oneself after.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

You know that once he is very likely going to brake right? This problem very easy to solve. Be gracious and when someone wants to cut in just release accelerator and slowly get back your safe distance. The person switching lane happy and you also reduce your chances of rear ending someone. I guess you are the type who will accelerate whenever someone signals to change lane. This is within your control.

Whereas if you tailgate the front car just to prevent others from changing into your lane, you have no idea when the front car will ebrake and you might not have enough time to stop. At least if you leave a gap and someone cuts in you know you'll probably have to slow down to maintain a safe distance. It isn't a surprise.

Like that is - hope for the best.

Yep. The way you drive is hoping for the best. Hope the front car don't jam brakes while you are busy trying to ensure the gap is small enough that no one can cut in.

ehh.. from the video of the first post...

to me it looks like without ABS can brake better in dry...

where got people jam brake straight away and lock up the wheels one?? if the driver can control his feet better, I believe the result would be different...

You know that once he is very likely going to brake right? This problem very easy to solve. Be gracious and when someone wants to cut in just release accelerator and slowly get back your safe distance. The person switching lane happy and you also reduce your chances of rear ending someone. I guess you are the type who will accelerate whenever someone signals to change lane. This is within your control.

Whereas if you tailgate the front car just to prevent others from changing into your lane, you have no idea when the front car will ebrake and you might not have enough time to stop. At least if you leave a gap and someone cuts in you know you'll probably have to slow down to maintain a safe distance. It isn't a surprise.

Yep. The way you drive is hoping for the best. Hope the front car don't jam brakes while you are busy trying to ensure the gap is small enough that no one can cut in.

Your guess is wrong.

What you had describe is not applicable especially in expressways where the exits have queues.

A car going straight in lane 2 is less likely to brake for no apparently reason compared to a car executing a lane change - totally differently from your perception of "hoping for the best".

Graciousness is not to change lane when you know that there is only a 2 second gap.

Graciousness is also to be safe to the car behind.

↡ Advertisement