Tengah New Town

Scion

Turbocharged

stop the nonsense 6.9m or 10m population crap lah

so no need to destroy our charming countryside and farmlands at Lim Chu Kang

anyway who the feck will live at Tengah New Town?

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/62-lim-chu-kang-farms/1439944.html?cid=twtcna

SINGAPORE: 62 farms in the Lim Chu Kang area will be affected by land use changes, the Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA) confirmed on Tuesday (Oct 28).

The western part of Lim Chu Kang will be needed for military purposes. This tract of land will replace the current training grounds that Mindef is giving up for the development of Tengah New Town, according to an AVA statement.

The affected farms in this area, whose leases or tenancies expire between 2014 and 2021, were informed in September of these developments. The farms whose leases or tenancies expire between 2014 to early 2017 will be given an extension till June 2017. Those whose leases expire after June 2017 can remain till the end of their current leases, said the AVA. Those who wish to continue their farming businesses can then bid for new sites at Lim Chu Kang and Sungei Tengah from next year.

“Given our limited land for farming, the new sites will have a smaller land area compared to the existing sites. This is why we are helping our farmers to raise their productivity and intensify the use of limited farmland through the adoption of technology and automation,” said AVA.

Earlier this month, the authority launched a S$63 million Agriculture Productivity Fund to help the famers invest in new and high-tech farming equipment and systems.

But the affected farms will not receive compensation, "as the leases would have run their course till expiry", said AVA. "We have communicated clearly and as early as we could to the affected farms so that they can make alternative plans ahead of the expiry of their leases.” AVA will also help facilitate the farms in applying for the final extension to Jun 30, 2017.

Farmers we spoke to said they were concerned about whether they would be able to obtain new sites, as competition for these tenders is expected to be fierce. They also said they had been told that farms at these new locations must meet production quotas, or risk losing the site.

The people running the Hay Dairies goat farm said if they were expected to meet production quotas with the help of high-tech equipment, they would have to invest at least S$4 million to S$5 million.

The owners of Jurong Frog Farm also felt that the strict restrictions of land use would result in very little flexibility in terms of attracting visitors. They said it could limit the exposure of the younger generation to the industry.

↡ Advertisement

I must go bid one zhi char stall at the new town.............. [laugh] [laugh]

Will you have chio xmm as assistant? If not, I'm not going to eat at your stall -_-

• Praise 1

The happiest people i believe will the resistances staying in Jurong West extension/ NanDa area. Now they can loudly claim that they are not the most ulu, bird no lay egg place, Tengah new town is. LOL

• Praise 2

damn. I am going to miss the chicken smell.....

Brings back memories...once the smell hits you, you know you're nearing the home of Armour.

Turbocharged

When they started developing Punggol, people also ask "who the hell wanna stay such a ulu place?"

Look at Punggol now... BTO prices there even higher than CCK.. But still as ulu as before.

With enough marketing, Tengah can be marketed like Marina Bay area.. [laugh]

• Praise 2

Hope they allow the farming on offshore islands then. At the moment, farming not allowed on offshore islands like Semakau. [confused]

You got the point. You are right.

Hope all airbases (Paya Lebar, Sembawang, Tengah) shift to offshore islands like Tekong for fighter jets, Semakau for helicopters...

i have tried planting chilli from the seedlings.....utter failure....it grew fast but withered away when it was about i feet high. I know of some old pips (supposedly to be experienced enough) who tried to plant chilli and tomato plants....same thing.....both plants died when it reached about a feet high. Last time kampung days....put the seeds anywhere and u can see it grow and mature! Now our future gen will surely think vege, poultry and meat actually comes from the market!
  • Praise 2