Eating Puffer Fish, CAUTION!

Camrysfa

Got people eat puffer fish, but must be correctly prepared!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11348235&ref=NZH_Tw

Eleven members of the same family are in hospital after unwittingly cooking and eating a poisonous pufferfish for dinner.

The Souza family, from Rio de Janerio, were given the fish by a family friend who had recently returned from a sea fishing expedition off Dubque de Caxias, on the Brazilian coast.

Unbeknownst to anyone, the present was a deadly pufferfish - which contains a toxin 1,200 times more lethal than cyanide, a drop of which can kill in 24 hours.

Only seconds after taking their first bite members of the family began to vomit, before losing feeling in their face, arms and legs.

Most of the victims, including children aged three to five, were paralysed before they could even reach a car to transport them to hospital.

"My brother-in-law was the same. He didn't even make it out the door. We had to carry them out and rush them to hospital in a car," she said, explaining they had invited the entire family round because the fish looked so "tasty".

Grandmother Maria do Carmo said: "We had no idea it was a pufferfish. They're all in a critical condition. My grandson, my daughter, and my son-in-law, they are all in hospital. We're praying for a miracle.

"We put the fish on the table in the yard outside and everyone dived in. They were all saying how delicious it was. I didn't eat it because I was waiting until everyone had tried it."

Pufferfish, or 'Fugu', is a delicacy in Japan. It is strictly controlled and only chefs who have qualified after three years training can prepare a meal featuring the fish.

Statistics from the Tokyo Bureau of Social Welfare and Public Health indicate 20 to 44 incidents of 'fugu' poisoning every year between 1996 and 2006 in Japan - however a single incident can hide multiple casualties.

There is no known cure for the poison, which paralyses the body while leaving the victim, who gradually suffocates, awake. Victims are hospitalised and their stomachs emptied before being fed activated charcoal to bind the toxin. They are also put on life support until the poison wears off.

1773956671_620x310.jpg

↡ Advertisement

eating this is as gd as playing russian roulette.

Japan is probably the puffer fish eating capital of the world. . .

• All puffer fish chefs are specially licensed to prepare and detoxify the fish in accordance with Japanese law.It's an important step, given fugu is hundreds of times more poisonous than cyanide, containing enough toxin in its liver alone to kill five men.

Japan is probably the puffer fish eating capital of the world. . .

• All puffer fish chefs are specially licensed to prepare and detoxify the fish in accordance with Japanese law.It's an important step, given fugu is hundreds of times more poisonous than cyanide, containing enough toxin in its liver alone to kill five men.

Little known fact is that Fugu eating originated from China... a few hundred years before the 1st recorded Fugu eating in Japan....

It is a traditional delicacy in certain provinces China mostly with access to the Yangtze river....

I have tried deep fried fugu jerky though. still no guts to try the real thing.

read that the high heat will neutralise the toxin.

I have tried deep fried fugu jerky though. still no guts to try the real thing.

read that the high heat will neutralise the toxin.

fugu mirin? Taste like bak gua actually ...

Even fugu sashimi not really fantastic leh. Dun get wat the fuss is abt

Puffers are hellacute with their big eyes and are pretty chill, sometimes they don't swim away when you get close to them. I've had one kinda follow me around on a dive.

Leave them in the ocean so I can hang out with them.

Puffers are hellacute with their big eyes and are pretty chill, sometimes they don't swim away when you get close to them. I've had one kinda follow me around on a dive.

Leave them in the ocean so I can hang out with them.

their poison so deep, of course no scraed [laugh]