Gifted Education Programme

Solar

GEP don't have different scoring system. The ones who got into the 'elite' schools with their lower scores probably were accepted via DSA.

My time got no DSA

↡ Advertisement

For those with kids selected for the programme, congratulations !

However, just my suggestion : please discuss with the child the choice of school as well as whether to switch to GEP or not.

This will ensure commitment to the programme if he/she chose to go .

Once the child is in the programme, support but pls don't compare (no point because everyone also smart) .

just my thoughts.

The child has to sign and date the GEP acceptance form (presumably with no pressure from parents).

It also contains a statement of commitment to keep up with the demands of the programme.

Edited by Sosaria

I just talked to my old china colleague. She say she knows 5 parents with kids taking the 2nd round test including me and ALL FIVE got through to GEP....

The other 4 is from china and send their kids to prep courses.... power.... 

Just to share

My Son got in nyps after passing his Gep test in 2014. Yeah, spent 30kpa on tuition fees and prep courses for my children, damn ex.

Only 2 in his whole school passed the gep part 2. The other child went to taonan

At first he felt stressed. Cos in his old school every yr he would be TOP 5 or so and without much effort like that

When he went into nyps gep class every one seem expert. A few of his class mates parents are Doctors and Lawyers and one of his classmates is a senior minister Son

The lessons are also not the same as before. Lots of projects and presentations.

• Praise 1

Just to share

My Son got in nyps after passing his Gep test in 2014. Yeah, spent 30kpa on tuition fees and prep courses for my children, damn ex.

Only 2 in his whole school passed the gep part 2. The other child went to taonan

At first he felt stressed. Cos in his old school every yr he would be TOP 5 or so and without much effort like that

When he went into nyps gep class every one seem expert. A few of his class mates parents are Doctors and Lawyers and one of his classmates is a senior minister Son

The lessons are also not the same as before. Lots of projects and presentations.

30kpa??? That is 2.5k per month... it is for more than 1 kid? That is how many children?

My kid tuition is $40/month maths olympiad inside her primary school. $150/month Berries for chinese, $250/month british council for English. Altogether is $440.... and the most useless one is the $250 for british council which we are canceling next year because I think her English is far better than her classmates in British council.

2 children

They attend TLL at United sq

The Learning Lab.... I have heard so many things about it. my wife wanted to send our kid there but in the end we did not cuz it was pretty expensive, Its like $600 a month for one subject right?

What is the entry rate to GEP like for TLL students?

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

30kpa??? That is 2.5k per month... it is for more than 1 kid? That is how many children?

My kid tuition is $40/month maths olympiad inside her primary school. $150/month Berries for chinese, $250/month british council for English. Altogether is $440.... and the most useless one is the $250 for british council which we are canceling next year because I think her English is far better than her classmates in British council.

Winner already loh..30k is more than my first job annual pay.

My boy has tuition at Just education downstairs for English and Berries for Chinese.

He goes piano lessons cos he loves it. That's all tuition he has.

Ya, the math Olympiad in school also.

Like I mentioned earlier, he was selected for GEP without us even knowing.

No prep at all. Those tuition were for his mainstream.

Sounds like buying entry into GEP, pardon me for thinking this way.

But what's the point.. the child goes back to complete with other kids in secondary school.

Like others have said, they get prep for PSLE at second half of P6.

The kid can end up normal in secondary as there's no GEP.. So what's the point..

Edited by Solar
  • Praise 1

I also think what’s the point of 30k pa on tuition

Personally I din attend a minute of tuition in my entire life

My Wife is the one arranging

However soon I recognise that times have changed

In his class and in the other gep classes some 90% of pple have tuition.

The norm has indeed changed

So in a way I am Glad that I did not stick to my old thinking

Turbocharged

I also think whatâs the point of 30k pa on tuition

Personally I din attend a minute of tuition in my entire life

My Wife is the one arranging

However soon I recognise that times have changed

In his class and in the other gep classes some 90% of pple have tuition.

The norm has indeed changed

So in a way I am Glad that I did not stick to my old thinking

Women... Sigh...

If not for her insistence wouldn't send him for any tuition other than the piano lesson where his interests lie with..

• Praise 1

Bro, your kids will be happier if you please your wife  [:)]

Women... Sigh...
If not for her insistence wouldn't send him for any tuition other than the piano lesson where his interests lie with..

• Praise 5

Bro, your kids will be happier if you please your wife [:)]

Now this is something they don't teach you in school, GEP or not [laugh]

Was reading the debate on tuition ... actually must distinguish between TUITION or ENRICHMENT class.

Tuition is the kind where they teach closely following the syllabus and content in school. Meant for kids to catch up and keep up with their subjects. Improve exam grade from D to A ... that's tuition.

Enrichment is the extra that does not follow syllabus, e.g. essay writing skills, math olympiad, etc.

Going for enrichment is acceptable if the kid is already able to handle the basics and want to improve further beyond what the teacher at school is teaching. Not that school teachers are no good but they have to handle an entire class and cannot focus on the faster / higher achiever students. That's where enrichment classes step in.

Occupying the kids' spare time fruitfully is also very important. Yes, less activities mean that they are more relaxed but too idle and they can get into all sorts of problems. That's where the bulk of social problems come from ... when parents let the kids run free and don't guide them to do meaningful things, learn something, etc.

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 4

Depends on who’s more domineering and who says things which makes more sense

If don’t listen to wife and she’s the domineering type, the u will have chaos at home and how can the kids study in such environment?

By GEPthrowaway

To this day I still have no idea how I got in. I was never an exceptional student. I had gotten into a 'branded' school because I live extremely close to one but I had always gotten slightly above for everything, except Math which was the only subject I was good in. I had a discipline record, having fought someone in P2 (f***er wouldn't stop annoying me).I didn't get a CCA until Secondary School, because no one chased me. I had won no awards, acomplished nothing, I was just an ordinary boy. When the initial sense of happiness wore-off, I thought about the hundreds of more deserving students whose place I had taken.

The next 3 years were absolutely shit. Being in a different league all together with my class mates, I consistently got last in class. I couldn't even get a 75 for math whereas everybody else got 90s without even trying. In the GEP, you were required to take an extra subject, Social Studies, which was examinable, and get at least 70% to be promoted to the next year. Being 10, 5 subjects was ALOT. In addition to that, there were numerous other projects. I really tried my hardest, but I was stressed out of my f***ing mine trying to keep pace. Frankly, they were complete and utter wastes of time. I'm no saying they weren't interesting, but I learnt skills that will never help me get a job, never help me buy a house or car, never help me in life. i remember in P6, 2 months before Prelims, when the mainstream classes were doing revision papers and stuff that would help me pass we started advertising in English.

Turbocharged
(edited)

By GEPthrowaway

To this day I still have no idea how I got in. I was never an exceptional student. I had gotten into a 'branded' school because I live extremely close to one but I had always gotten slightly above for everything, except Math which was the only subject I was good in. I had a discipline record, having fought someone in P2 (f***er wouldn't stop annoying me).I didn't get a CCA until Secondary School, because no one chased me. I had won no awards, acomplished nothing, I was just an ordinary boy. When the initial sense of happiness wore-off, I thought about the hundreds of more deserving students whose place I had taken.

The next 3 years were absolutely shit. Being in a different league all together with my class mates, I consistently got last in class. I couldn't even get a 75 for math whereas everybody else got 90s without even trying. In the GEP, you were required to take an extra subject, Social Studies, which was examinable, and get at least 70% to be promoted to the next year. Being 10, 5 subjects was ALOT. In addition to that, there were numerous other projects. I really tried my hardest, but I was stressed out of my f***ing mine trying to keep pace. Frankly, they were complete and utter wastes of time. I'm no saying they weren't interesting, but I learnt skills that will never help me get a job, never help me buy a house or car, never help me in life. i remember in P6, 2 months before Prelims, when the mainstream classes were doing revision papers and stuff that would help me pass we started advertising in English.

Weird.. . "I had no idea what 95% of the questions were asking, so I filled in the OAS randomly and hoped for the best. I did this for all the tests, which were if I remember correctly, English, Chinese, Math and a General Paper."

Either this is a bluff article or he probably got too lucky with his tikam tikam.

Maybe that was why he suffered in there?

My boy knew what he was doing in the GEP tests and the questions asked.

Edited by pChou
  • Dislike 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

Weird.. . "I had no idea what 95% of the questions were asking, so I filled in the OAS randomly and hoped for the best. I did this for all the tests, which were if I remember correctly, English, Chinese, Math and a General Paper."

Either this is a bluff article or he probably got too lucky with his tikam tikam.

Seems like the anonymous author gave me dislikes Edited by Solar
  • Praise 3
  • Dislike 1

I believe this is a bluff article.

There is no chinese in the GEP selection test.

Also the workload of the social studies is not more than the rest, its a bit like history. My son quite enjoy it

I think the author is trying to discourage others to take up GEP, maybe jelly.

In addition,

I think MOE stated that "training" and "tuition" cannot get a child into GEP.

I believe it is also difficult unless the child is already in the borderline case, ie smart enough to just qualified for GEP.

but then they might struggle a bit in GEP, as it requires the child to be mentally flexible and self motivated to learn.

Edited by korosensei
↡ Advertisement
  • Dislike 1