Do comfort tyres improve on harshness of ride?

Columbian78

Usually when we talk about comfort tyres we focus on the noise level. Will premium comfort tyres like bridgestone gr100 improve on the bumpiness or harshness of the car compared to performance tyres. Assume the same tyres size, profile, tyre pressure, rim and car.

↡ Advertisement

Usually when we talk about comfort tyres we focus on the noise level. Will premium comfort tyres like bridgestone gr100 improve on the bumpiness or harshness of the car compared to performance tyres. Assume the same tyres size, profile, tyre pressure, rim and car.

Some tyres came with stiffer sidewall,so even same air pressure,it will feels more bumpy..

the GR-100 is my first ever comfort tyre and it is less bumpy when going over hump and uneven patch of the road and it is definitely alot more comfortable going over rough tarmac compare to the dunlop it replaced.

• Praise 2

hi, I'm no expert but my take on comfort tyres is this;

Comfort tyres are usually higher profile tyres with a lot more side wall than lower profile tyres which are more performance biased.

Basically you'll have more rubber between the rims and road to cushion NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) before reaching your car's chassis and cabin.

The less rubber you have in between, the harsher the ride (of course not mentioning off-road tires), as in the case of lower profile ones which are meant to handle better while cornering at speeds, accelerate and brake harder.

So usually if you prefer a quieter and less harsher ride, just go for the higher profile ones, all the brands have their recommendations, maybe you'll want to ask bros around here for recommendations who have tried and tested theirs, but also look out for those who have driven theirs for quite a bit, say about 20k, 30k or even 40k kms as some of these brands will fare better after wear and tear mileage against others.

Cheers

• Praise 5

Yes it does.

I am using ContiComfortContact 5 and its more

comfy than XM1.

Maybe that's why they are known as comfort tyres.

:D

• Praise 2

For Bridgestone GR series, at high speeds or in TC-ed cars, becareful as it doesn't grip very well. Suggest you don't even used it if this being the case. Can be used on a family car.

I used GR90 few years back. After a trip up north, I traded in these 3-month old tyres for CSC5p. The car's tail swings left/right whenever you gassed it. Scary.

Perhaps BS has made some improvement in GR100.

Edited by Ahbengdriver

For Bridgestone GR series, at high speeds or in TC-ed cars, becareful as it doesn't grip very well. Suggest you don't even used it if this being the case. Can be used on a family car.

I used GR90 few years back. After a trip up north, I traded in these 3-month old tyres for CSC5p. The car's tail swings left/right whenever you gassed it. Scary.

Perhaps BS has made some improvement in GR100.

Bridgestone Turanza series are "comfort" based,you want better grip,then must get the Potenza series,RE-11a will be a good one.

take a look at the 6-point chart

http://www.bridgestonetyre.com.my/media/html/gr100/

Haha, I like the 6 pt chart. Very misleading. At first looks like the wet and dry handling is maximum but then closer inspection shows that it is plotted against the GR90 with its dismal wet and dry handling.

I am tempted to go for comfort tyres too since my ride is quite harsh, but I remember how scary they can be on wet roads.

The GR series remains my fav comfort tyres. I had GR80 and GR90 on my previous jazz and now GR100 on my sylphy. The harshness had improved quite a bit. The bumps are still around but the magnitude had been damped quite a bit. These tyres have soft sidewalls. I can press the sidewalls quite a bit with my fingers. Yes, these tyres are softer compared to the cpc2 they replaced. However I was looking for comfort improvement so I had to compromise. I don't wanna be aggressive so this suits me. These tyres are not for fast cars or fast drivers.

The added bonus is that these tyres are v quiet. Sylphy has excellent interior noise insulation for its class, and the GR100 made it even quieter. Of cos tyres still new, but I am pretty sure it is quieter than when The cpc2 were new.

• Praise 1

hi my car came with turanza gr100 as stock. recently punctured 1 tyre and changed it to proxes c1s. I can kinda hear the cabin noise increased slightly though comfort remains as good. 

To me by leaps and bound.

Last change was from Michelin PS3 to Goodyear F1 Symmetrical 3.

The Goodyear FS3 would be the quietest tyres I have used in my 33 years of driving experience.

There were drastic improvement in N category in overall NVH.

Supercharged

definitely.

my car came new with CSC5, second set was GR100 and I just changed to PS4 yesterday.

in less than a kilometres, I can tell the new PS4 is definitely noisier than the old GR100.

As pointed out above, GR100 is not very good at high speed, my car will sways left and right above 150km/h while the CSC5 was confidence inspiring even beyond 180km/h.

between CSC5 and GR100, dry and wet grip of GR100 is better at Singapore legal speed.

GR100 also wear out faster than the CSC5.

definitely.

my car came new with CSC5, second set was GR100 and I just changed to PS4 yesterday.

in less than a kilometres, I can tell the new PS4 is definitely noisier than the old GR100.

As pointed out above, GR100 is not very good at high speed, my car will sways left and right above 150km/h while the CSC5 was confidence inspiring even beyond 180km/h.

between CSC5 and GR100, dry and wet grip of GR100 is better at Singapore legal speed.

GR100 also wear out faster than the CSC5.

How many km your GR100 last for?