Hybrid - Toyota prius

Obscurest

Hi,

Yesterday I got a chance to sit in Toyota hybrid Prius and im surprise by its spaciousness and the quietness and smoothness of this 3 yr old taxi given that the cab travelled everyday.

I need more info of hybrid car and Maintenance especially this model.

1) cost of changing the batteries
2) lifespan of the batteries
3) reliability of this model
4) any other alternative to look out for (preferably with huge boot - hatchback)
5) beside power, what are the pros and cons?
6) any other info to share?

↡ Advertisement

If you are keen on hybrid cars visit sghybridcar.com. They do batt reconditioning and partial batt replacement. The workshop is in kaki bukit. If you are free go there and ask them and see what they can do.

The word ' hybrid ' means one has to be Green in order to make it work. SUV or Crossover

2nd, If one mindset is green and wanted nothing much to do with using the car daily, might as well forget it, coz the H car need to be driven on daily basis to see the actual saving in long term.

if a family has 2 cars , one a H and the other a normal, then i suppose it makes some sense, other than tat, no point in buying a H car, coz the car need to be oust hard till it hit 40% electricity usage then the H technology kicks in, resting in clean environment, Eco thinking and Amazing in Motion.

Earlier H car battery last up to 7 years, new H car can last up to 10year, +- dependant on your heavy/light footed.

lastly the H battery is never cheap, it can cost up to S$4,000/, like another brother said, Kaki Bukit can recharged / reconditioned it.

It is widely known fact that Lexus car was the first to introduced Hybrid car back home, even Conti car are copying from the Japs on Hybrid cars implementation.

Lexus clearly delineated the Eco, Power and Sport edition for all driving conditions and drive mode.

I had tested the new NX yesterday, not officially launched yet, coz my SE told ne NX juz arrived yesterday ( Friday ) and sadly no stocks unless one is ready to wait at least 6 months period, he are lost on how to push sales.

Tried the NX ( Next Exception ) Hubrid 2.5lit first entry in Sp, basically a cross between ( some where same size as Tuscon and Nissan Quashai , in term of pricing is pretty out of my budget, i will wait for 2.0L Turbo version would be great , the front grille need some time to adjust to, as the body shape leaned towards Batmobile wide mouth and equipped with LED light , very pointy and arrow on left/right corners, interior very innovative and luxury, Lexus well-known for it sheer class and style.

The word ' hybrid ' means one has to be Green in order to make it work. SUV or Crossover

2nd, If one mindset is green and wanted nothing much to do with using the car daily, might as well forget it, coz the H car need to be driven on daily basis to see the actual saving in long term.

if a family has 2 cars , one a H and the other a normal, then i suppose it makes some sense, other than tat, no point in buying a H car, coz the car need to be oust hard till it hit 40% electricity usage then the H technology kicks in, resting in clean environment, Eco thinking and Amazing in Motion.

Earlier H car battery last up to 7 years, new H car can last up to 10year, +- dependant on your heavy/light footed.

lastly the H battery is never cheap, it can cost up to S$4,000/, like another brother said, Kaki Bukit can recharged / reconditioned it.

It is widely known fact that Lexus car was the first to introduced Hybrid car back home, even Conti car are copying from the Japs on Hybrid cars implementation.

Lexus clearly delineated the Eco, Power and Sport edition for all driving conditions and drive mode.

I had tested the new NX yesterday, not officially launched yet, coz my SE told ne NX juz arrived yesterday ( Friday ) and sadly no stocks unless one is ready to wait at least 6 months period, he are lost on how to push sales.

Tried the NX ( Next Exception ) Hubrid 2.5lit first entry in Sp, basically a cross between ( some where same size as Tuscon and Nissan Quashai , in term of pricing is pretty out of my budget, i will wait for 2.0L Turbo version would be great , the front grille need some time to adjust to, as the body shape leaned towards Batmobile wide mouth and equipped with LED light , very pointy and arrow on left/right corners, interior very innovative and luxury, Lexus well-known for it sheer class and style.

So in other words, shld not consider?

I'm currently driving a 1.8 stream after took that taxi, is like love at first sight...

I'm staying in the east and work in jur island.

Is it worth the change?

As cars are so ex now, dun dare to jump into such an exp decision and would be disastrous if turns out to be a wrong move.

I'm currently driving a 1.8 stream after took that taxi, is like love at first sight...

Is it worth the change?

As cars are so ex now, dun dare to jump into such an exp decision and would be disastrous if turns out to be a wrong move.

Juz wait till 1st Q /15, now is not the time to buy car.

Is it worth the change?

If I remember correctly, Prius' battery has a warranty of 10 years. Its reliability has been documented worldwide. If you are worried about the cost, can consider Honda Insight as well. Now, its lithium ion battery also comes with 10 year warranty.

If I remember correctly, Prius' battery has a warranty of 10 years. Its reliability has been documented worldwide. If you are worried about the cost, can consider Honda Insight as well. Now, its lithium ion battery also comes with 10 year warranty.

insight seems to be designed for midgets... the door roof clearance is really low...

insight seems to be designed for midgets... the door roof clearance is really low...

Went to test drive the car. I agree that the rear row is a little low. The middle part of the rear row is also slightly elevated and at my height(1.75) my head was touching the roof. Driver seat is quite spacious though.

Beware, Honda Insight had stop production in Japan. They are still using Nickel metal hydride, only the new Vezel Hybrid and Fit Hybrid (GP5) are using the lithium.

Beware, Honda Insight had stop production in Japan. They are still using Nickel metal hydride, only the new Vezel Hybrid and Fit Hybrid (GP5) are using the lithium.

Thanks and noted. The facelifted Insight uses Lithium batteries and has a 10year warranty as told to me by the sales consultant. Have also read that Insight production have stopped earlier this year. That's one of the reasons why I have decided not to get the Insight.

Hi,

Yesterday I got a chance to sit in Toyota hybrid Prius and im surprise by its spaciousness and the quietness and smoothness of this 3 yr old taxi given that the cab travelled everyday.

I need more info of hybrid car and Maintenance especially this model.

1) cost of changing the batteries

2) lifespan of the batteries

3) reliability of this model

4) any other alternative to look out for (preferably with huge boot - hatchback)

5) beside power, what are the pros and cons?

6) any other info to share?

Hi,

If a car can run as a Taxi, it must be reliable, this is the much improved 3rd generation of Prius, have little wear and tear parts. Still using nickel metal hydride and if maintain proper with knowledge, it should last a long time. www.go2hev.com for battery maintenance and sghybridcar.com. you can get cheaper battery pack there if need so.

Went to test drive the Prius C at BM and I'm impressed with the facelifted version. However, for the short distance drive, I was unable to achieve anywhere near the advertised FC. Decided to rent a Prius C from a local carsharing company to try out as I am searching for a hybrid car to replace my current car. Have tried test driving the Insight and have given my review in another thread.

After driving for a few hours, I must say that I am impressed with the Prius C. It's a nice feeling to turn on the EV mode and cruised out of carparks on electricity only. Tried to maintain the EV mode and it lasted about 2km before the engine kicks in. After that, I managed to attain 20km per litre of petrol driving mainly in stop and go traffic. The onboard computer also gives constant updates of my driving style and I think subconsciously, I also adjust my driving style.

If not for the small boot, it's definitely a car that I will consider.

• Praise 1

I used to drive a Civic hybrid FD3. The battery pack dies quite quickly (<3 yrs). Honda acknowledged the problem and changed the programming of the car but it made the car very sluggish. The new Civic hybrid is Li-Ion like the Vezel and Fit Hybrids. I've not heard if the batteries perform better but the one new Civic Hybrid owner I know said he won't buy a hybrid again.

The Borneo rep I spoke to claims he has never had a customer come in to change a Prius battery pack... if true I am very impressed.

I like to concept of hybrids but I don't think it works very well in a hot country where u need a/c on and are stuck in jams often. I would go for a diesel actually if I am a high mileage driver. If not a high mileage driver I would choose a normal petrol car.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Went to test drive the Prius C at BM and I'm impressed with the facelifted version. However, for the short distance drive, I was unable to achieve anywhere near the advertised FC. Decided to rent a Prius C from a local carsharing company to try out as I am searching for a hybrid car to replace my current car. Have tried test driving the Insight and have given my review in another thread.

After driving for a few hours, I must say that I am impressed with the Prius C. It's a nice feeling to turn on the EV mode and cruised out of carparks on electricity only. Tried to maintain the EV mode and it lasted about 2km before the engine kicks in. After that, I managed to attain 20km per litre of petrol driving mainly in stop and go traffic. The onboard computer also gives constant updates of my driving style and I think subconsciously, I also adjust my driving style.

Just to share here the new production Toyota Aqua (JDM) with lithium battery pack is coming soon, but sadly it is going to classify as Cat B. Even the old Prius C should also be in Cat B. because LTA will combined both Engine and Electric Motor power output, which happened to the Honda Vezel Hybrid 1.5, another blow to the Hybrid lover here.

u shld know by now no matter how much u save on gas over 10yrs is negated by the COE paid right?

No. It was Toyota with its 1st gen Prius in 1997.

Lexus hybrid didn't get to the market until 2005 with its RX400h.

Even now, the Lexus hybrid engine is based on Prius HSD.

Edited by Wishcumstrue
↡ Advertisement