Hybrid - Toyota prius

Obscurest

Just to share here the new production Toyota Aqua (JDM) with lithium battery pack is coming soon, but sadly it is going to classify as Cat B. Even the old Prius C should also be in Cat B. because LTA will combined both Engine and Electric Motor power output, which happened to the Honda Vezel Hybrid 1.5, another blow to the Hybrid lover here.

Forget about battery pack - How about Toyota Mirai ? The first ever hydrogen-powered fuel-cell commercial sedan expected on sale in 2015...

I wish it comes in the hatch version like the Prius - perhaps someone start another thread on Mirai ( 未来 in Chinese/Japanese kanji)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUjYIaUGmqU

Edited by Wishcumstrue
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

u shld know by now no matter how much u save on gas over 10yrs is negated by the COE paid right?

Yup, in fact, the premium that is paid over a normal car cannot be earned back through fuel savings. But for me, I always like high-tech cars and knowing that I am doing something to lower my carbon footprint also makes me feel good when driving.

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

Forget about battery pack - How about Toyota Mirai ? The first ever hydrogen-powered fuel-cell commercial sedan expected on sale in 2015...

I wish it comes in the hatch version like the Prius - perhaps someone start another thread on Mirai ( 未来 in Chinese/Japanese kanji)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUjYIaUGmqU

The Mirai FCV will still need a Battery pack.

The Mirai FCV will still need a Battery pack.

Mirai FCV is still using battery pack because its hybrid drive train is based on that of Prius's HSD. (which include brake regen and ability to run parallel source from FC and Battery.)

The difference here is instead of a gasoline ICE (internal combustion engine), it is now replaced by FC (hydrogen-based fuel-cells.)

Now people may ask what's do great about FC vs battery ?

The simple practical reason is FC energy capacity is far greater than even the latest best battery capacity.

Which means FC vehicles can go much further than EV does given the same weight density of the fuel load..

Went to test drive the Prius C at BM and I'm impressed with the facelifted version. However, for the short distance drive, I was unable to achieve anywhere near the advertised FC. Decided to rent a Prius C from a local carsharing company to try out as I am searching for a hybrid car to replace my current car. Have tried test driving the Insight and have given my review in another thread.

After driving for a few hours, I must say that I am impressed with the Prius C. It's a nice feeling to turn on the EV mode and cruised out of carparks on electricity only. Tried to maintain the EV mode and it lasted about 2km before the engine kicks in. After that, I managed to attain 20km per litre of petrol driving mainly in stop and go traffic. The onboard computer also gives constant updates of my driving style and I think subconsciously, I also adjust my driving style.

If not for the small boot, it's definitely a car that I will consider.

I'm driving one, and trust me, its easy to achieve near to 30km per liter, recently I've been extremely heavy footed and still able to achieve 23km per liter.

• Praise 1

Hi,

Yesterday I got a chance to sit in Toyota hybrid Prius and im surprise by its spaciousness and the quietness and smoothness of this 3 yr old taxi given that the cab travelled everyday.

I need more info of hybrid car and Maintenance especially this model.

1) cost of changing the batteries (never need to change, 10 years warranty)

2) lifespan of the batteries (1st gen still running in sg, our police car)

3) reliability of this model (over 5k priuses OTR in SG and no one complaining)

4) any other alternative to look out for (preferably with huge boot - hatchback) (Try the Prius V but PI only)

5) beside power, what are the pros and cons? (Extremely efficient but when stuck in jam, the on off of the engine to charge the batterymight annoy)

6) any other info to share? (The C handling is quite good, can take some trashing as well)

So in other words, shld not consider?

I'm currently driving a 1.8 stream after took that taxi, is like love at first sight...

I'm staying in the east and work in jur island.

Is it worth the change?

As cars are so ex now, dun dare to jump into such an exp decision and would be disastrous if turns out to be a wrong move.

My suggestion is to grab the 2nd prius, no point going for first hand, if you want more comfort, go for the CT200.

Hi,

Sorry to use this thread. Prius C vs Honda Jazz. Which would you recommend?

Thanks.

Prius C is a full hybrid, meaning to say it can be powered by battery alone for certain speed before ICE kicks in. No idea about the new Honda Hybrid but for definitely not for the older ones.

if u r buying 2nd hand.

becareful of the OMV

it not x 50% or 55%

ur dep will be much higher if u calculate with normal car omv.

For easy calculation, take 30%

Just came back from overseas today and I was surprised to see the Prius taxis picking up passengers at the arrival hall too. Never knew that the boot was big enough to put big luggage! Very impressed.

• Praise 1

I own a 2nd gen Prius for more than 5 years & after almost 160k:

Here are some favourable observations:

Nickel hydride battery pack is absolutely maintenance free (& from US prius chat forums, most will outlast the car. Toyota has programmed the charging/discharge cycle conservatively at 90%/30% to maintain its longevity and this is well-documented).

The normal small lead acid can easily last beyond 5 years.

Due to regen braking, have not even changed a single brake pad.

Shock absorbers are still stock.

Servicing (at BM) cost is equal to a Corolla.

Air-con runs on the main battery indpt of ICE meaning when the car is stationary, the aic-con compressor still works to cool the car which is quite unlike most stop-start system where the compressor is cut-off. This is a huge difference esplly in our tropical heat.

Even water-pump and steering are electric.

Passenger compartment is spacious (almost equivalent to Camry).

Car is above Corolla in terms of comfort, space and closer to a Camry.

Ride is not as cushy and quiet as Camry (but then not many cars are) but when idling it is dead silent (until the ICE kicks in when battery is depleted and usually for a minute or so before the ICE shuts down again).

Easily can attain 20 km/l in a mix of highway (30%) /urban driving (70%). From this you can do the sums in terms of petrol savings compared to an equivalent car of about 1.6l capacity & do note that the car is a few notches above the Corolla.

Some parts replaced:

water pump was changed once when under warranty, and a 2nd one at 140k (guess, it's normal wear & tear)

a/con evaporator changed at about 120k

Final analyses:

Toyota has sold more than 6 million hybrids since the first Prius in 1997 and the reasons are pretty obvious. Prius has the highest owner loyalty of any cars, ie buying another Prius as replacement in the US, and I can attest to this for sure. If not a Prius, then something up the ladder. It is that good, and wait till you get into the Lexus hybrids!

• Praise 4

I own a 2nd gen Prius for more than 5 years & after almost 160k:

Here are some favourable observations:

Nickel hydride battery pack is absolutely maintenance free (& from US prius chat forums, most will outlast the car. Toyota has programmed the charging/discharge cycle conservatively at 90%/30% to maintain its longevity and this is well-documented).

The normal small lead acid can easily last beyond 5 years.

Due to regen braking, have not even changed a single brake pad.

Shock absorbers are still stock.

Servicing (at BM) cost is equal to a Corolla.

Air-con runs on the main battery indpt of ICE meaning when the car is stationary, the aic-con compressor still works to cool the car which is quite unlike most stop-start system where the compressor is cut-off. This is a huge difference esplly in our tropical heat.

Even water-pump and steering are electric.

Passenger compartment is spacious (almost equivalent to Camry).

Car is above Corolla in terms of comfort, space and closer to a Camry.

Ride is not as cushy and quiet as Camry (but then not many cars are) but when idling it is dead silent (until the ICE kicks in when battery is depleted and usually for a minute or so before the ICE shuts down again).

Easily can attain 20 km/l in a mix of highway (30%) /urban driving (70%). From this you can do the sums in terms of petrol savings compared to an equivalent car of about 1.6l capacity & do note that the car is a few notches above the Corolla.

Some parts replaced:

water pump was changed once when under warranty, and a 2nd one at 140k (guess, it's normal wear & tear)

Final analyses:

Toyota has sold more than 6 million hybrids since the first Prius in 1997 and the reasons are pretty obvious. Prius has the highest owner loyalty of any cars, ie buying another Prius as replacement in the US, and I can attest to this for sure. If not a Prius, then something up the ladder. It is that good, and wait till you get into the Lexus hybrids!

After decades of owning German cars I made the switch to an IS250, and only sold it recently for an IS300h after 8 trouble free years of deeply impressive ownership experience. Looking back I am sure I would have saved $$$ in after warrentee period repairs if I made the switch away from the Germans much earlier. so bruised I was that I enquired about extended warrentee and was advised by the sales advisor it would be a waste of money...and he was right. I was given a ride in a 2G Prius and was very impressed and decided when it came to change I would choose a Toyota or Lexus Hybrid. I drive up to date diesels in Europe regularly...which convinced me even more about the petrol hybrids. 18k's later I am still impressed. IS hybrid gives me 1000km per tank of 95 octane, with terrific refinement, which works really well in Singapore/Malaysia conditions. And yes, in sports mode the extra voltage to the electric motors gives it diesel like pull. And I still have fun with the paddle shifters, plus there is no brake dust due to regen braking.

• Praise 3

I wonder if the people here hate the Prius. Because i know Prius is hated by many car guys

Hate it because it's slow?

I know of many prius that are fast drivers including myself. My friend hate my car though because it uses way lesser petrol compare to theirs.

Hate it because it's slow?

I know of many prius that are fast drivers including myself. My friend hate my car though because it uses way lesser petrol compare to theirs.

It's true...people are astonished when they see my 1k+ range reading per tank and find it hard to accept. Yet performance wise the torque from the electric motors are very apparent when you need to push on.

Just bumped into my friend who years ago let me drive his 2Gen Prius....and got me intrigued about hybrids the Toyota way. Particularly in Sg it works really well. Works great up north too.

• Praise 1

Have been driving the prius for almost 2 years and no complians on making the choice. The car looks smaller than a normal 1.6 sedan from outside but interior space is equivalent to a 2 litre sedan. Besides the great fuel efficencies, the car has more than adequant power to overtake when necessary. Only let down is the 15" stock steel wheels, cheap pvc/fabric seats, horrible sound proof (when car is travelling above 80km/h on highways) for a car that costs more than $160k but all these can be improved with some aftermarket modifications and last but not least, the colour of my car is so close to the smrt taxis..... :-)

• Praise 2

Some parts replaced:

How did you know the water pump need replacing? what are the symptoms?

2 waterpump in 140k is quite unusual....

↡ Advertisement