Hybrid - Toyota prius

Obscurest

There is also one private workshop that specializes in dealing with hybrid cars. Think you can find from the sgcarmart directory.

yup, been following this thread and saw that "company"

no hurry for now. will wait for COE to cool down. too hot now with folks trying to rush for 1 July deadline.

perhaps by then BM may have test drive unit for the new Prius C? :p

↡ Advertisement

Went to see the Borneo website and I realized that the battery is now nickel-metal Hydride. I thought that the previous model used Lithium Ion? Any difference? The new model looks more sleek though. Nice car for a young couple with no kids.

As far as I know, neither the Prius C or the big 1.8 Prius use Lithion batteries.

The newest Honda hybrids do which is good as the old IMA system Nimh batteries were dying prematurely.

Still, from what I can tell, Toyota's Nihm batteries last much longer than Honda's did. With so many Prius taxis around, replacing the batteries should be easier too.

As far as I know, neither the Prius C or the big 1.8 Prius use Lithion batteries.

The newest Honda hybrids do which is good as the old IMA system Nimh batteries were dying prematurely.

Still, from what I can tell, Toyota's Nihm batteries last much longer than Honda's did. With so many Prius taxis around, replacing the batteries should be easier too.

The last facelifted Honda hybrid Insight sold by Kah Motors was using Lithium-Ion batteries when I went there to check on it in November. If I'm not wrong, the previous Prius C model(2014) was also using Lithium Ion. Not too sure about others though.

Only the plugin version of Prius comes with Lithium-Ion bat.

Aside from additional charger inlet and HSD logo with a plug outline in the left, the car is essentially the same as the NiMH-based models.

priuxssee-e1313168053641.jpg

The secret to Prius (or other Toyota models with HSD) battery longevity is because its system prevent the battery from deep discharge, has protecting it from loosing the charge pacity too rapidly.

It is said the next gen Prius will all be Li-based with totally revamped HSD and lighter drive train system.

The general wedge shape, however, will be retained, for obvious brand image and technical reasons.

Spy shot on 4th-gen (covered up) Prius test car.

001-2015-toyota-prius-spy-shots.jpg

• Praise 1

Went to see the Borneo website and I realized that the battery is now nickel-metal Hydride. I thought that the previous model used Lithium Ion? Any difference? The new model looks more sleek though. Nice car for a young couple with no kids.

Only Honda hybrid uses Li battery as of now.

Hi all I am a newbie. Can I just ask if hybrid cars like the Prius have a "special" battery and therefore do not have the regular battery that normal petrol cars use? ie. the battery that needs to be replaced every 1-2 years

Hi all I am a newbie. Can I just ask if hybrid cars like the Prius have a "special" battery and therefore do not have the regular battery that normal petrol cars use? ie. the battery that needs to be replaced every 1-2 years

There are 2 batteries, the conventional one that normal petrol cars have (possible replacement after 1-2 years) and a battery that gets charged and drives the electric motor.

Went to test drive the car. I agree that the rear row is a little low. The middle part of the rear row is also slightly elevated and at my height(1.75) my head was touching the roof. Driver seat is quite spacious though.

i went on test drive too, for an asian the height was perfect!

during my recent trip to Japan, saw A LOT of Toyota AQUA. that's the JDM version of Prius C. To be fair, the car is really small but very slick looking. Test drove the earlier Prius C from BM and i must say am impressed with the performance from such a small car.

The golden question, PIs cars are generally much cheaper than ADs. To be fair, i have own three ADs cars and rather apprehensive on going to PIs.

Any input or even drivers of previous PIs's hybrid? Some hybrid do have issue and were recalled. Such as the Vezel Hybrid. Will PIs cover recalls by manufacturer?

I drove 2nd gen prius. No issue with battery. In fact it was the most reliable car i had ever driven. Toyota batt is deisgned to outlast our coe.

• Praise 1

Can someone shed light on why the Prius would need a 1.8L engine? It seems contradictory to pitch it as a hybrid with low consumption but stick such a 'large' engine in there?

In our COE based on engine-sized climate, it's never going to be able to sell. It also seems to contradict the government's attempt to encourage hybrid cars...

Sad. I wouldn't mind owning a Prius. The Prius C is way too small.

Can someone shed light on why the Prius would need a 1.8L engine? It seems contradictory to pitch it as a hybrid with low consumption but stick such a 'large' engine in there?

In our COE based on engine-sized climate, it's never going to be able to sell. It also seems to contradict the government's attempt to encourage hybrid cars...

Hope this video help explain why 1.8l is choosen over 1.5l.

As for why gov has this funny tax policy which works against green vehicles ownership, well..we know petrol tax is one of their major revenue...

• Praise 1

Styling is disappointing as it's pretty similar to the Gen III class if not, some of the Korean makes.

Not much of a wow factor - if you ask me..

When the car is stationary.

A bigger cc engine will consume more than a smaller cc car. As the fuel:O2 ratio is constant.

But for a hybrid, the engine is cut off when stationary. So, big cc or small cc, their fuel consumption is 0 at stationary.

When the car is moving.

Bigger cc engine will have more power in every combustion cycle.

It will burn more fuel than a smaller cc engine.

But if the load is the same, bigger cc engine will need to rev less than the smaller cc engine to move the load.

This will more or less even out.

Then, we know, the engine is less efficient when it is moving faster. The combustion of fuel can achieve 100% at lower rpm and will reduce at higher rpm. something like not enough time for the O2 and HC to burn completely.

So, a bigger engine which moves slower will have an advantage here.

Hope this help.

• Praise 2

Many car makers are going to 500 cc per cylinder or therabouts because that apparently is the most efficient size. For Toyota/Lexus, other improvements such as both direct and port injection, as well as the Atkinson cycle also help. My hybrid, which weighs more than 1700 kgs, gets almost 1000km per tank, which is pretty good. Foot to the floor driving in mountainous terrain it still used 25% less fuel than the already amazing E250 on the same journey, based on filling up at the same pump. The Prius, according to my friends, is about one third more economical again on fuel. I am on stock size tires but performance rubber. Stock tire was about 6-10% more economical compared to PSS I replaced them with.

Until electric charging is possible in our car parks, hybrids seem a really good solution for SG. The 10 year battery warrantee is good to have too. So far, after 33k's car has been completely complaint free. More and more car makers are introducing hybrids. Will be following their progress with keen interest.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1