What make and model worth renew COE after 10 years

Maskedrider

Supersonic

Teana or Picnic, which is a better candidate for 10 year COE renewal?

It depends on your needs, if you need a 7 seater, you wont get a Teana, then Picnic is a obvious choice unless you want to pay more for an Estima.

But if you do not need a 7 seater, why would you get a mpv?

Then the comparison should be Teana vs Camry or something else.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

It depends on your needs, if you need a 7 seater, you wont get a Teana, then Picnic is a obvious choice unless you want to pay more for an Estima.

But if you do not need a 7 seater, why would you get a mpv?

Then the comparison should be Teana vs Camry or something else.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I currently have 2 child seats in a small 1.6 liter car. A bit squeezy for 3 adults and 2 children.

A 2.0L Teana might be just nice. But I don't quite see that many 9 year old Teanas on the road now (as compared to the other popular models).

between Teana and Picnic, I choose Teana.

understand the ride is quite comfortable. 

• Praise 1

I currently have 2 child seats in a small 1.6 liter car. A bit squeezy for 3 adults and 2 children.

A 2.0L Teana might be just nice. But I don't quite see that many 9 year old Teanas on the road now (as compared to the other popular models).

Perhaps should also consider which model is easier to let go if infuture you decide to change car...
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

Perhaps should also consider which model is easier to let go if infuture you decide to change car...

Thanks for the viewpoint.

In my past ownership history, I drove a car from its 9th year mark to 20th year.

Don't quite foresee selling this coming car.  Most likely will send to scrapyard.

In fact, intending to send the present car to scrapyard to get back the remaining COE.  

Edited by Albeniz
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

Depends on your needs.

Have you searched in the used car market?

• Praise 1

Hi :  

You may like to consider 1.8L range MPV (7 seats) like Toyota Wish, Honda Stream, Crossroad etc. 

In terms of fuel consumptions and repair maintenance, this range of B&B cars belongs to the low risk side.  

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Hi :

You may like to consider 1.8L range MPV (7 seats) like Toyota Wish, Honda Stream, Crossroad etc.

In terms of fuel consumptions and repair maintenance, this range of B&B cars belongs to the low risk side.

If it is a 10 year old MPV, I am more inclined towards Picnic.

Considering over a span of 10years, the few ks of initial difference between Pinic and Wish might become marginal and more worthy.

• Praise 1

I've also given some thought to this, it is true that at the end of 10 years, expensive cars such as Mercedes have residual values which will be close to scrap, which is 50%PARF + body.      This could be $20k plus to $30k.   

The selling price range of a Mercedes would be $25k to $35k for a 2008 car right now. 

A Toyota Altis would have scrap value of maybe $8k to $10k, selling price is $10k to 15k for a 2008 car.   

If you compare the original price of the two cars, Mercedes and Altis, it is very obvious that it is more worth it to get the Mercedes.

You do need also to consider first the maintenance cost, obviously they are different no matter where you go for servicing. 

Second, why do you need to drive a Mercedes?   For performance or show?      If for show, it will sadly disappoint.   An old model will not impress.   If for performance, yes, there is a case, as Mercs are built like a horse.    

But then again, Altis is also not too bad for lasting keep.  

At the end of the day, when you need a car, it is what is available to you.  Altis or Mercedes or any car when they clock up too much mileage would have damage to the mechanical parts.  The figures that you start off with are not the end, ie the selling price.   After you buy the 10 year old car, you need repairs, immediately that would add to the initial cost.     Ascertain this cost (through check with workshop or AD best).

At the end of the day, I would select a car based on mileage clocked (find a way to ensure Odometer not tampered, get an assurance from dealer, or buy from owner with receipts), and whether you like the look and feel as you will be facing the same car for next ten years. 

On Odo tampering which is rampant, you can do either of two things:  one shortlist cars with AD receipts, two put in contract with dealer that if Odo tampered, full refund (send the car to AD, the actual Odo will be made known to you after you took over).

• Praise 1

go for GS300

where else to get 3litre V6 for sub 9k depre per year?

(edited)

Wonder what would happen to supercars like Aventador after 10 years

Edited by LPPL

Supersonic

Wonder what would happen to supercars like Aventador after 10 years

Keep in collection or exported.
↡ Advertisement