What make and model worth renew COE after 10 years

Maskedrider

With another 100,000km more, the owner could be entitled to claim one free Picanto from Kia, for helping to provide such a good testament on reliability.

Haha or do another 130,000 km and reset the meter

then claim low mileage only 30,000 km.

Owner only use for going to shops once a week.

Genuine unclocked mileage.

:D

Not worth to renew picanto.

Same pqp to renew, say a civic. So in pragmatic sense is a no. Further more to sell off in a few years time goona be difficult with little or no market demand.

To each his own though.

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

Picanto is one of the cheapest I can find (low parf value). If money is not an object, my choice hatchback would be Jazz, but the parf value is at least another $6K.

Very good deal.

What other car can you drive for $3k a year?

And if you drive for a few year and want to scrap

you will get the balance of the COE back.

Risk is very low.

:D

The 1186 cc engine is also very good. 

The 4 cylinders is so much better than any 3 cylinder engine.

With proper servicing its will last along time. 

That is exactly what I am thinking. $3K per year worked out to be $250 per month, cheaper than taking taxi or grab. Of course there are other running cost to be considered. So have to consider carefully.

• Praise 4

One thing to check on is the availability of parts for your car model that you wish to renew COE. You may want to talk to a few workshops that you are servicing your car with to get a feel.

• Praise 1

Picanto offers very little collision protection.

I think all small cars offer little collision protection. I have already taken that into consideration. Thank you.

One thing to check on is the availability of parts for your car model that you wish to renew COE. You may want to talk to a few workshops that you are servicing your car with to get a feel.

Thank you for your advise. Did not think about it before. But how to check? Any recommended workshop?

• Praise 4

If part value of another 6k is a concern, maybe you should consider to save up more before taking the plunge.

Car ownership has unexpected hidden cost that might weigh on your budget.

Edited by Hamburger
  • Praise 1

It is never about the model and make of car. But the condition of the car and how well the previous owner/s took care of it.

• Praise 1

I think all small cars offer little collision protection. I have already taken that into consideration. Thank you.

Thank you for your advise. Did not think about it before. But how to check? Any recommended workshop?

You can try reading thru the Korean makes threads to see which workshops and stockists are good with Korean cars. Then probably give them a call to test water that you want to do major servicing like cooling, gearbox overhaul etc to see whether they can do. For stockists you can check whether have power windows, side mirror and exhaust parts which are quite specific to car models.

If you can find a Picanto chatgroup will be even better.

(edited)

Adding on I think exhaust is one of those potential headaches because if it gets corroded or damaged and there are no parts (even scrapyard) to replace, it can take a long time to import and the cost will be very high.

Couple with the yearly inspection for COE cars and their low tolerance for exhaust repair marks you can be stuck with undrivable car.

Edited by Elmo

Turbocharged
(edited)

Adding on I think exhaust is one of those potential headaches because if it gets corroded or damaged and there are no parts (even scrapyard) to replace, it can take a long time to import and the cost will be very high.

Couple with the yearly inspection for COE cars and their low tolerance for exhaust repair marks you can be stuck with undrivable car.

I have driven Sunny and Presea close to their 20th year mark, never had issues with exhausts. May be Japanese makes could be a better option? Edited by Albeniz
  • Praise 1

Think it is a matter of luck. When I was modding my exhaust...legally...the shop mentioned some models like Subaru R1 or R2 who kena undercarriage damage when it got into accident. The exhaust was so rare that they had to indent from Subaru Japan and waited 7 months and cost $6K. That was almost 10 years ago.

But the story does serve to tell how rare car models may have problem getting parts.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

You can try reading thru the Korean makes threads to see which workshops and stockists are good with Korean cars. Then probably give them a call to test water that you want to do major servicing like cooling, gearbox overhaul etc to see whether they can do. For stockists you can check whether have power windows, side mirror and exhaust parts which are quite specific to car models.

If you can find a Picanto chatgroup will be even better.

Thank you for your valuable input.

I think there are quite a number of Picanto still running in Malaysia, so should not be a problem. But LTA check on exhaust condition?

Think it is a matter of luck. When I was modding my exhaust...legally...the shop mentioned some models like Subaru R1 or R2 who kena undercarriage damage when it got into accident. The exhaust was so rare that they had to indent from Subaru Japan and waited 7 months and cost $6K. That was almost 10 years ago.

But the story does serve to tell how rare car models may have problem getting parts.

$6K is a lot! Cost much more than other wear and tear parts, such as tire and battery.

• Praise 5

Not LTA per se but during annual inspection for renewal of road tax the inspection centres may be very particular with any welding mark if repairs for rust spots or cracks were done.

If you don't repair the exhaust rust spots or cracks, it may result in loss of power, noise and other smell (depending on which part of the exhaust), should they become worse.

Would like to get some forummer advice here - I have an Audi A5. Lovely ride. But coe expires Feb 2010.

I’d like to renew the coe but seems that it’s on uptrend. The current pqp for April is 35k.

If I renew by end April, I’ll secure 35k renewal but I’ll lose 9 months of existing coe.

The OMV is 47k.

What do you all think? Renew now or wait until next year and bet the poor economy will bring coe down?

• Praise 1

(edited)

Would like to get some forummer advice here - I have an Audi A5. Lovely ride. But coe expires Feb 2010.

I’d like to renew the coe but seems that it’s on uptrend. The current pqp for April is 35k.

If I renew by end April, I’ll secure 35k renewal but I’ll lose 9 months of existing coe.

The OMV is 47k.

What do you all think? Renew now or wait until next year and bet the poor economy will bring coe down?

you have the same problem as I am.  My COE due in late Dec with a OMV of $54k. 

Before i go into PQP, i like to touch on maintenance.  You need to take into consideration of reliability of Audi, if you are comfortable with its reliability because  you have been driving it, then it is  fine.

You also need to understand the fact that older car would need more frequent repair,  is the repair cost of Audi expensive ?  this is a  consideration because the cost will stack on, again it is your comfort level.

Next is about parts supply.  Audi is not a most common COE brand, letting alone A5 is not the most common Audi model, so you have to consider parts availability after say 5 years. 

Now lets consider PQP which is a tough question.  First is whether PQP would go up by say $10k in Feb? no one knows but it is possible. Question is what is your linear depre write off now ? if your linear depre is $13k/year, then if you renew COE now, you will have to write off  10 months of depre which is about $10k. dont forget, you also lose driving the car for 10 months, meaning in 10 years later, you will have to buy a new car 10 months earlier as compare to you renew your COE in Feb next year, that would add on another $5K of additional expense(because the depre of your COE A5 should be around 7k ayear). All in, 10k+5K about $15k. 

So your risk of renewing COE now is $15K if COE will to stay at current level. But COE staying at current level is not very high. Soyour risk is likely to be lower than $15k.

But if you delay your re validation, assuming  COE will to go up by 20K? your risk of delaying is only $5k compare with you renew now with a write off of $15k.

Which  one would you  bet on? I have no answer because I am in the same boat as you are, same boat but different car. 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 3

The Jan-Apr trajectory of Cat B looks like it could hit $50k by end July.

If it stays at this level longer (unlikely since quota will be further cut), Cat B PQP will be $50k.

So it makes sense to renew soon and forfeit the balance duration of the COE if it is worth keeping the car.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4